3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canoe help  (Read 962 times)

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canoe help
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Working on a cedar strip canoe. If the weather warms I can finish in short order.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Great, and interesting thread. I always wanted to try some canoeing but there is just never enough time.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Mystic I hunt the SHNF and fish back there for crappie as well. We allways fish back there in stublefield and I use an Oldtown Guide 147. Great boats and perfect for back there. I usaully take my canoe and a couple of kayaks on our fishing trips. I'd Be happy to show you where we see pigs and catch those crappie. You'll love the boat but I think tyour right for stabilizing it for bow fishing
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
bartcanoe, that's a fine canoe you've got there!  I've got drool on my computer!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
I have a 12 ft Quachita that I've had for about 30 years and have fooled around in a bunch.  Build yourself some outriggers.  Get a trolling motor and a good battery (MUCH MUCH better than poling or paddling when your carping).  If you want to use it to access deer or other big game get an old piece of carpet to lay in the bottom - bang that paddle on the bottom an hour before daylight on a still morning and you might as well honk the car horn.  Play around in it utill you are comfortable standing up with your outriggers - then carp away!

R

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by klight:
Mystic I hunt the SHNF and fish back there for crappie as well. We allways fish back there in stublefield and I use an Oldtown Guide 147. Great boats and perfect for back there. I usaully take my canoe and a couple of kayaks on our fishing trips. I'd Be happy to show you where we see pigs and catch those crappie. You'll love the boat but I think tyour right for stabilizing it for bow fishing
That's the spots I want to see.... I'll PM You dates.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
NO MOTORS...Canoes for Me is Paddling power...

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Your more than welcome to try my boat out if you like. There are some good spots to hunt pigs way back there that are easier to access by canoe. You wont run into as many other hunters that way for sure.
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline Shoregobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I have the Old Town Osprey in O. D. green with dark stained seats and yoke. Awesome canoe for duck hunting.

Offline odiewan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I've got an Old Towne 147 guide and used it primarily for duck hunting.  As stated, great initial stability, easy paddling.  I would not stand up in it but that's me.  I've been using it for paddling with my young scouts (sons) and it's been great.  I like the riggers shown above and would add them for bigger water with the boys.  I've only had it tipped once, when a duck hunting partner with no canoe experience dumped us while I was stepping into the boat.  Should be great for what you want.

Sean
Tempus Fugit

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
It may get some getting used to; but there isn't really a need for the outriggers.  Unless you have some mobility issues.

Once you get used to your boat, standing and shooting is no problem.

I can shoot standing in my Starfire canoe and it's really a tender boat.

Jason

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Canoes are more abut going than doing when it comes to bowfishing. Use it to get up a creek mouth you cant walk into and get out and shoot from the bank. You could also try to build a fire on the dark side of a lake to hunt at night. Use the canoe to get you and your gear over there. Sure you can stand up in the middle of a canoe and take a shot but all the people I know that are serious about bow fishing only hunt at night standing on a platform 2 or three feet off the water and then they light the place up like a football stadium to swarm insects to chum up fish.

Outriggers have their purposes but they also have some big disadvantages too. In the surf (Ocean)they are a necessity on a canoe. If you have kids fishing in flat water they are good training wheels to keep you dry, for an adult in a lake they seem like overkill. That and I like to go into cypress swamps and flooded timber so there they are not of any use, an impediment.

That canvas covered Old Town is sweet! A real trophy!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
I've got a Mad River Duck Hunter.  I made an outrigger out of a 2x4 and two 5 gallon buckets with lids.  I clamp them to the edge with some c-clamps.  They are a little awkward, but it's stable enough to stand up in and cast or shoot a bow.  Without them, this particular model is not stable at all. I got a huge beaver out of it last year.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:00 AM »
I've got an old town Osprey, 14' 38" wide. I can kneel in it and lean over the side setting traps and stand up and shoot carp out of it. Love this canoe..

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
Nice one! Bartcanoe
divecon

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Here's a cedarstrip I a made a few years back.  Quiet and stable, though not quite as rugged and tough as an Old Town.   Still an alfull lot of fun the mke and paddle around- especially in the Fall...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
No Pic

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Canoes, ya gotta love em. That's me in my 12' wood and canvas canoe next to a 26" Voyager North Canoe.

A friend and I in my Birch bark.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
bartcanoe, that is a real beauty. I once owned a 1926 Old Town wood and canvas beauty I restored. I sold it as most of our rivers are very rocky and we didn't do much lake use.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Many good thoughts here especially about the dry bags and tethering things to the canoe,  Don't forget a PFD.  :thumbsup:    :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member