3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting knife for 100-200 bucks?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting knife for 100-200 bucks?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Ron, thats a fine looking knife for the price, anyone would be proud to have that in the field, real practical looking. Should make a real fine tool.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
http://gfredasbell.com/GFA_Knives.php
These are some inexpensive but functional knives that you might consider.

Offline John E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
As other's have said,you really should start by defining the use the knife will be put to.  That said, Buck, Gerber, Knives of Alaska, CRKT, make very attractive and practical knives that will "work" every bit as well as the more expensive custom and semi-custom knives.  Of course when you factor in the knife as a gift, the skilled knifesmiths already mentioned offer great products at a somewhat higher price range.  You may want to check out the  www.knifecenter.com  for additional ideas.

Offline John Whitaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Matt Lamey is another TG member who makes very nice knives and real nice to talk to also.
 http://lameycustomknives.com/Site/Welcome.html

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
A good Mora knife from The SG runs for under $20. High carbon blades that really hold and edge and you can buy a few of them for under $100. They are perfect for deer sized game. I have been using the K-Bar Little fin for deer hunting for a long time now and I have 5 of them, just keep switching them out as they get dull on deer throughout the season and at the end sharpen them all.

I have a Dunn I really like  and am looking hard at a Blind Horse, my father in law just got one and it's really sweet

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
You should be able to skin up to 200 bucks (and a few does) with any decent knife. You may need to sharpen it once though.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
Sticshooter makes some great knives.  Send him an email and see what he can do for you.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »
Helle knives are great-two of them might total 100 dollars. Usually I get 40 year old Puma knives on the auction site. They sharpen up real well and the edge lasts for a while too.
I can skin and butcher a whole Hog with barely a touch up.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
My personal choice is the Buck 105 Pathfinder- Its the classic American field knife. around 50 bucks and its made in the USA. I have given them as gifts for years. If you want to make it fancy there are limited editions with diferent handle materials available from several distributors

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
There are a lot of good brands out there and it boils down to the style and preference you personally desire.  I use a Buck Vanguard with a drop point blade that I've had for about 20 years and it has been a good knife.  They currently run around $60.00 I think.  If I had to buy another knife it would be another of these or a classic Puma.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Some sponsors here make good priced/high quality knives.Take a lookon the sponsor classified.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
I like Randall Knifes, a bit pricey but well worth the extra money.........

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Take a look at our Helle knives.  You might find what your looking for there.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Ron LaClair has some great knives on his website, the Shrew Skinner is a favorite.

The Asbell website has a darned good assortment of quality knives also.

If limited to one knife, I would seriously consider a Case Trapper style.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
That is a loaded question just like which bow should I get  :)   Knives for me are all about the feel in the hand and in the heart.  Almost all will work just as a $100 factory bow verses a $1000 custom bow...both will put meat in the freezer.

Go to the knife forum, you'll see some really nice knives in your range plus you'll see some unbelievable custom blades.

Another option is bid one up on St Judes Aution.  There will be plenty of knives up again this year.  That way you can feel like your chewing Double Mint gum...Double the Pleasure & Double the Fun   :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by bgbuck153:
Look up Siggma Knives ! I personally know Jim Sigg and own 2 of his knives . His knives come with a life time guarantee if you brake the blade he will replace it !! Need I say more .
DITTO
I have two of Jim's knives their awesome.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I had James Emmons make me a knive and it's super sweet. Here's some of his stuff...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=001114;p=1

Rapid River Knives from Michigan is very good.
 http://www.rapidriverknifeworks.com/

While smaller than most are accustomed to, the older Puma 4 Star is the best gutting knife I've ever used, and I've probably gutted some 300 plus deer over the years, with all the "block permits" amd antlerless tags in our area.

Here's a couple 4 Stars from 1977-78 in mint condition for $175-$350. (top 3 on page)
If you want a killer gutting knife, look no further. I have the top one listed for $275.

http://www.pumaknifeman.blogspot.com/

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
These are all good suggestions, and the point about use is critical.  Custom knives are gorgeous, and  at least some are very functional.  The products of Skullworks, Doug Campbell, and other custom or semi-custom makers are incredible--better than nearly all users need, but that's fine.  We could all use a little more art and excellence in our lives.  For flat-out function and dependability, though, I would look at the Moras on Ragnar's Forge.  I carry one when I need to cut weight to a minimum, and it's excellent.  He has many different price points there, and it's a great site.  Mine, a tri-laminate, was, as I recall $14, but he has a nice bushcraft tri-lam for $20 now. Not much for aesthetics, but when a knife is that functional it has its own aesthetic.  For a general use knife in the backcountry I carry a Koster bush craft knife--beautiful, reliable, truly great steel, $100.  Then I got carried away and bought a Fallkniven H1 Hunter for a little over $100.  It's what I use if I need absolute reliability, am around salt water, or in extended wet conditions.  It is sold in several steels, from VG10 at about $125 to 3G powder steel at $200 at this point.  I have the cheaper, and it's fantastic if a little heavy.  I would also be happy and proud to carry a Bark River production knife, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned as a very, very fine knife at $150-200.  I also carry a neck knife with a fire steel taped to it, either a beautiful Doug Campbell or a Buck Mayo Kaala if I'm going to be real sweaty or wet.  Knives are almost fetishes to many people, so your biggest problem will be going through all the incredible choices.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©