3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: White Ash for bow or laminations?!  (Read 273 times)

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
White Ash for bow or laminations?!
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I have what I am pretty sure is a very large White Ash tree in my backyard.  It is probably 2 feet in diameter and is about 60-70 feet tall. It has large  very straight trunk that branches off to 3 main straight branches.

Is White Ash useable to make a selfbow or for laminations?  

I will probably be taking it down in the next year or so. It is located less than 8 feet from our home and is only causing me grief with the leaf clutter in the gutters and problems with my sewer line.  Besides if I don't take it down on my own, there is a good chance that the Emerald Ash Borer will kill it for me in the future.

If you happen to be a tree cutter and a self-bowyer, you welcome to help me take it down and help yourself to all the wood you can handle.

I just want to try and use the wood as much as possible instead of just sawing it up and "dumping" it.

Jerry
Wisconsin Traditional Archers - Board Member
Ojibwa Bowhunters of Milwaukee
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: White Ash for bow or laminations?!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
White ash makes a great selfbow. My current one is 47# @28".  It  is a pyramid style  and the back is  narrower than the belly. About an inch of  string  follow.

Split out staves as soon as the tree is dropped and peal the bark  off.  Paint or otherwise seal the ends and put them  under cover to dry.They should have plenty of ventilation, because the sap will mildew if it stays moist.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©