3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather Back Quiver  (Read 409 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather Back Quiver
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Hello again’
The last time I wrote I asked for recommendations for a bower you guys sent me lots of suggestions. . I would like your help again. I am looking for a good quality back quiver.
Thanks
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather Back Quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Not very hard to make.I just finished one with a matching Haversack I'll get pics up soon.In all honesty after you build one or two you'll wonder why you even considered buying one.It totally emerses you in the "Traditinal Way".Its part of the whole experience.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Love my Sunset Hill quiver!

Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Here is one I made recently:

Go placidly

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Check out Art Vincent at Cedar Works Leather. He's a sponsor here.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
second art vincent cedar ridge leather works not cheap but worth every penny a quiver that you can pass down to your children but you wont want to

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Thats really a very open question to answer, there are soooo many different types in many different price ranges. If its your first backquiver, you dont want to go and get the fanciest, most expensive kind you can find in case you find out you dont like 'em! You'll get lots of good advice here from fellow tradgangers on who has made them a good one.

My advice would be to buy a cheap, older one first, modify it with anything you can find like belts, cloth, whatever to try certain straps, attachments etc.  Not for a finished quiver, but just to get an idea of what you want. You might like a backpack style, a single strap straight off the quiver top, one that has the strap slightly angled off the top, or possibly a three strap quiver that keeps it from flopping around and attaches to a d ring in the front. You may want a 2" wide strap while some guys like a thin 3/4 inch strap . Find out how deep you want it. Standard quivers usually come 22" deep. Thats often a lot of arrow sticking out for some guys. Do you want your fletch totally exposed or partially covered... so if you even duct tape cardboard to lengthen your old quiver it will show you what you really need. Or even cut it down if its too long.

Once you have this ugly prototype all set to your liking, you can go and either invest in a solid quality quiver by one of our leathersmiths and give them pictures and measurements, or cut the quiver apart and use it as a pattern to make your own.
David M. Conroy

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
That's some sound advice from YORNOC.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
BQ users agree, these are the easiest coolest quivers once broken in. Folks above are dead nuts on. Suggest heavier leather for long lasting durability (see Spanky's). Steve is correct, you'll love your own & they're easy.

Dryfired, please e-mail me details about your quiver. That might be THE perfect quiver? If others are interested post it here. Smack leather! Thanks
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Good call YORNOC! That is a great idea.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I made this quiver after reading several threads on this site. Wasn't that difficult just took some time. One thing I did learn is to punch the holes the bottom section after you assemble the rest. I used a single hole punch so as to align the holes better to the top portion. Give it a try and good luck.

One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Mr YORNOC
That is wonderful advice.
I have never thought about making a prototype. We all have skills in this world leather designing or leather is not one of mine. What I have done is tried on a few from my local archery club. Almost all of them are right handed, but I have a good idea of what I want. I will try to express it below.
Good quality leather.
I would like it to fit a left-handed person only.
 Oblong rather than round with a separator in the middle
A pouch
 I want it long enough to go to the bottom of the fletching 24 inches
I want a wider strap to go over my shoulder. A smaller strap that will go under my right are to hold it in place.
These are just the basic’s if someone would like to take on this task please send me an email.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Second that for Art Vincent, but if you ever get a chance to pick one up by Shell, oh Mama that's a quiver.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Mike's Archery Leather is a sponsor, and Mike makes great back quivers. Ron LaClair used to have the Shrew back quiver, and I bought one. It is very nice too. Of course, Art Vincent is always a good choice for leather goods, including back quivers, but he is not taking new orders until May. Shell Scukanec makes beautiful leather products, but she spends most of the time she has for working leather trying to keep up with the sheaths for Frank's knives, so I would not hold my breath until she has time for a back quiver. Her quivers are precious items that only the lucky few will ever own.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
make one!  Tandy leather has everything that u will need and it isnt that expensive or hard. I am not very crafty, and i made two this week one for me and one for my wife.  

my wife lost hers to a buddy who wanted to buy it today, so i will be making another.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their help. Lots and lots of good advice. I was contacted by Razorbak also
known as Art. We exchanged a few emails and a phone call. He is on the way to making my quiver and matching arm rest. I will post pictures when he is done.
Thank you all again
Robert

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
COOL QUIVERS,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I think Big Jim makes some
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
You'll be very happy withy Art.
David M. Conroy

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Art started and was nice enough to send me a photo. I thought that I would share.
This is the starting of my back quiver
  http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/wudstoc/digital011.jpg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©