3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tick repellent  (Read 789 times)

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tick repellent
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks again for the great information.

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
The permanone the military uses is the best, been using it for the last 10 yrs and haven't had any problems with ticks, works even better on chiggers. Just spray your clothes and let dry, and don't get any on your skin.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
I wonder its effect on your skin mostly from sweating or rain....it might be dry when you first put it on, but with sweat and rain will it soak into your skin?  Side effects?  I got bit by using the bens 99% (army stuff).   Spent a night in the hospital and a couple days on quarters because of it.....

That said I havent had any known problems with permanone.  Than again I wasnt allergic to bug juice either for 25ish years.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
AkDan, check the link that CEW posted for the answers.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm kinda leary of anything that will kill bugs on contact.  Thats some deadly stuff.  Can't be good for you. You're bound to absorb some through your skin.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I agree i've used the sawyer permitherin,works great!  But after reading that it would last through 5 washes and still kill ticks on contact, I've not used it. Quite frankly, I'm afraid of the stuff!

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
In reference to the earlier post about MSM.  I have been taking gluco-chondriotin with MSM for arthritis for years.  I have not had a tick attached to me in years either.  I think this year i am going with the minimum bub dope, DEET around the ankles and leave the killer stuff alone.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Yep, I second the Permitherin. I grew up in the south (Louisiana, and lived in NC for a year), and I soaked my boots in Permitherin, and then followed that up with some "No Stinkin Bugs" for good measure. That worked great. Like CEW said, you can get Permitherin from a tractor supply store. You would get enough for a couple years. Just make sure you let it dry before you mess with it. Don't get that stuff on your skin wet.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Has anyone heard of dryer sheets (for laundry) repelling ticks?  I've been told to put one in you pocket when in the woods, but can't confirm or deny the effectiveness.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Another vote for permetherin.
DEET is a scam, in my opinion, in regard to its effectiveness on ticks.

Offline tradbowbrian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
I also heard about the dryer sheets to repel mosquito's,  tried it a few times and still got eaten alive. I use sawyers while hunting after having it recommended by users on here and haven't seen a tick yet

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by R. Fletcher:
I buy the permethrin used to spray dog kennels from the feed store and mix it up in a garden sprayer.  Spray clothes to include socks and underwear with it and let dry before wearing.  Permethrin is the active ingrediant in Permanone and is a whole lot cheaper.  Just like the aerosol Permanone it will last through several washings.  The ticks and chiggers here feed on deet.  Permethrin kills them.
Originally posted by CEW:
I'm with the guys that mix their own. I get Permitherin from the local tractor supply store. 6 bucks worth will last me 2 years.
This is great information, guys!

What brand are you using when you dilute what you buy at the farm store? I looked on Amazon and tried to match the product that was listed on there with the products that Tractor Supply sales, but couldn’t find a match. Tractor Supply is more then likely where I will make my purchase.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
I have used bounce dryer sheets, original formula, for yellow flies with pretty good success. Skin-so-soft for no seeums. Love and use the permethrin on clothes, tickless and no redbugs/chiggers when I use it. With Lymes disease around I will continue to use it.

Thought I had read of liver toxicity with permethrin, but reading the link seems that is not likely. More research I will do here.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Anything with Permethrin in it.  I used to buy Permanone, but think they've changed the name to "Sawyers" now.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Used the Sawyers a couple years ago in Quebec on a bear hunt.  I tried it more for mosquitos than ticks and it really worked great.  One evening as I was getting into my stand my guide said, "Why aren't those skeeters botherin' you?" I just smile and said, "It's a secret."  She kept bugging me until I finally told her a couple days later.

I would also be interested if someone could share the dilution/mixture of the straight permethrin.  Have'nt really had to worry about ticks in my area in the past but it seems like they are getting worse.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Simply get two sets of rhinoskin and wear under your clothes. Then I use my own natural mix insect repellent. 7% Catnip oil, 5% Rosemary Oil, 5% Cornmint Oil,an emulsifier, a dab of glycerin and the rest is water. The menthol in the cornmint oil  makes is smell good and cools you down. I spray very liberally. I mix it in 500ml batches. You can buy a similar mix for $15 for 16 fluid ounces, I am down to $6 for the same amount. The catnip is more effective than Deet (see public studies) and the rest doesn't make you very attractive for insects. The rhinoskin gives you additional piece of mind.
I would not put insecticides into my clothing. And you wonder why you all get allergies?
Since I am very allergic to poison ivy, I try not to use my clothing multiple times without washing, especially in spring. I use jewelweed soap to precondition for that and jewelweed spray for the now very few little outbreaks.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
One source I read placed the toxicity of permethrin at Level IV (low) as compared to DEET at Level II (moderate).
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Spend a week during early bow season here and you'll be ready to take a bath in permethrin.  By the way, I've been using it over 15 yrs.  I don't have any allergies and don't get poison ivy.  I also don't get ate up with ticks.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I have (had) a product called Duranon by a company called Coulston's that is the same as Permanone, 0.5% permethrin. I just used the last of my $8.95 can to treat my leafy suit, boots, and camo jumpsuit for a turkey hunt in MO next week. It worked for me last bow season where ticks are thick. One can was good for at least 4 applications.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Hey Gate Keeper! Here is a link to Tractor Supply (that's the name of the place). It's called Permeitherin 10 ($5.99 for a 32oz bottle).

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock-fly-control/insecticides/permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-8-oz-2212873

I also have a bottle of the Sawyer brand, I think I bought from Cabelas. It worked really well too.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©