3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting meat home if you fly there???  (Read 578 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting meat home if you fly there???
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
So for those of you that like to fly to your hunting destination, how do you get your meat home?  I'm going down to Texas this fall with my son (8 by then) to do some awesome father/son bonding time.  

I'm looking at getting a pretty good load of meat, so how have you all gotten it home?  Anyone ever sent it home once frozen by UPS?

This being my first out of state hunt, I want to make the most of it, and be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance guys,

MIke
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting meat home if you fly there???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
If you have time to freeze it you can overnight it or priority ship it to your home. If you're flying you & your son could each check a cooler & carry on your other gear. I've gone that route & it worked well... just be sure to check with your airline about size/weight limits.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
When we used to fly we would travel with one bag, bow and arrows in the bag, and buy a cooler at our hunt place and pack frozen meat in it and it would be fine when we got home. Back then you were allowed 2 check bags so the cooler was my second bag. The only trouble is you end up with a bunch of coolers after awhile. We have quit fooling with airlines and drive now. We are even planning to drive from Virginia to Portland, Or. for the PBS gathering next year.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
You can cut up and clean/deboned meat freeze it and put it in your luggage. A friend of mine from Lewiston area flies to California every year for hogs and Does the deep freeze and the meat goes below staying real cold. Just an idea PM me and I'll ask him if its OK to give you his Number to get all the facts.
...Mark

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
I too was thinking about the cooler idea, but what do you do to keep the cooler closed?  I'm assuming you could duck tape it, but would the airport security cut it open, and reseal it?  That might be the best option if both of us get a cooler when we get there.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Remember, they weigh luggage. Better check with the airlines before you arrive with a 100 lbs of frozen meat.

I have not, and would consider donating the meat to worthy cause, food bank, church, or charity, if they cost were too high.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I fly from Guam to Texas every year to hunt. Just freeze the meat. If I have time I have it processed and frozen otherwise I debone and wrap and freeze. I then put the meat in a cooler in a large trashbag and cover with ice. If you are not flying as far as I do you could just put the meat in the cooler frozen. When I arrive back on Guam the meat is still frozen and hardly any ice is melted. The key is to buy a good cooler, I buy the kind that will hold ice for 5 days. Works for me. Most airlines will have you place the cooler in a large heavy duty plastic bag and they normally supply the plastic bag, at least Continental does.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I always put a ratchet strap on my coolers to keep them closed. TSA can look inside but they can cinch it back easily as well. You have to make it easy on them, they have hundreds of bags to search & aren't gonna spend a lot of time making sure your's is closed back up.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Yep, must stay below 50# unless you are a frequent flyer, then some airlines allow 70#.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I live in NY & hunt with a friend in Wy every few years. I have done both overnight shipping home & coolers on the plane. Both worked well just comes down to cost. Which ever is cheaper will work. I brought duct tape with me and taped them closed after TSA checked them. Hope you have a good time.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I travel to the lower 48 with frozen meat & fish, and if I have to wait several hours or stay overnight in Seattle, there is a freezer service at SeaTac airport where you can leave a box. I just reclaim my box and put it in the freezer until I am ready to go on with my trip. Good thing to check availability on if you have a long stop in one place, although it does make you go through security and bag check again.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Has anyone tried UPS delivery?  I figure if I could get it cut and vacume sealed and froze down there, then when it gets home, all the dirty work is done.  Just me thinking outloud again.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Mike, after several elk hunt trips to Colorado, and some of them successful, we always fly the meat home with us as baggage. One trip we came home with 2 bulls  and 450# of meat, taken home processed, wrapped and frozen in 50# waxed cardboard boxes, split as baggage for 6 guys. We shipped some of our gear UPS. Next time around was only two of us and we took home 140# of frozen meat in two coolers and two carry on bags. The rest of our gear was shipped home DHL ground. Use a safety harness tree strap to secure around a cooler. All meat came home frozen even with 12 hours travel time.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
FWIW, I did a moose hunt in BC a few years ago.  If i had got a moose, there would have been issues shipping UPS as it was raw meat crossing the border from one country to the next.  It would not have been an issue if shipped within US, including from Alaska to lower 48.  So I would guess shipping from Texas to Michigan would not be an issue.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
UPS sodomizes its non-corporate customers.  I sent 8 pheasant and Hun breasts to my parents with a single cooler pack.  Cost $85--for two day delivery, not next day.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I sent a total of 80# [ 31# hailbut and 46# bear hide and skull ] in two boxes overnight fedex from Homer AK to Vancouver WA. Right at $400 just for shipping... never again! Next time I'll gladly pay the extra baggage fees and take a couple coolers with frozen Halibut and bear hide and skull on the plane with me...

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
I have never flown to a hunt. I was checking into this a few months ago. Delta will allow me (FF) to have 70# bags, 2 for free. The third bag, also 70# is only $25 and even a fourth is only $75.

However, when I'm hunting out west I'm usually doing so with 1-2 friends and/or my son. None of them can get these baggage rates and it gets expensive fast.  I generally truckpool.

However, I have been on hunts when a member of the party flew in and out. Last time was an antelope hunt. We picked up the hunter (my friend's son), he hunted, bow-killed an antelope, and we brought it and two others, home for him.

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Yep, we flew meat home using Fed-Ex, very costly, but also very convenient.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm thinking the checked coolers is probably the way to go on this one, but I will check all my options.  Thanks for all the info guys, and if there is any more you would care to share, I'm sure alot of guys on here would appreciate it, not just myself.

Mike

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
UPS and Fed Ex air rates have gone through the roof in the last year.You would be better off leaving your meat and buying filet mignon when you get home.You can go to their web sites and punch in some weights and measurements to get a real idea.Don't forget to use realistic dimensions as volume is critical on anything going on a plane and their are price bumps over a certain size.

I think paying for extra baggage,flying back is the only real option besides driving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©