3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall Tent 2011  (Read 630 times)

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
Wall Tent 2011
« on: April 03, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I just ordered a new wall tent and learned a few things so I thought I would share the experience. After a bunch of searching and shopping I ended up getting a new tent from Davis, will review that later. They were great to buy from and are currently having their famous scratch and dent sale so I saved around 200 bucks.  

I guess the most important thing I learned is the price of cotton has gone up a bunch this year. This will be across the board that tent prices will go up by a hundred bucks or more. Davis said their prices will go up in June they think but every manufacture is going to have to pay more for their next shipment of cotton so look for everyone's prices to go up.

One note of interest is the fact in this economy Wall Tents are selling like crazy. My guess is that its a combination of people downsizing and not buying campers, people getting back to the basics, and maybe even some people losing their houses or just choosing to rough it in wall tent luxury. Any other theories are welcome, its interesting to think about.

The hardest decision was whether to get a back door or a back window. Because I will use the tent in Arkansas in the summer ventilation was huge consideration. The two basic selling points I was advised were one if you have two doors you can combine two tents. In this case only getting one tent means I can get two doors on a second tent if I want that option. More than likely I will just get an extended fly or porch. The second which was evidently coming from someone who had never been around bears was the idea that if a bear came through the front door the camper could exit the rear door. That seems a simple enough idea but having been in a small mountaineer tent and wanting out in a hurry once before I learned to sleep with a little knife close by for an emergency exit. Besides, bears do not use doors, they can come through the side just as easy as a door and most likely the door will be zipped anyway making the knife the ultimate option in an emergency.

The biggest disadvantage I could see with having a back door would be kids trying run through the tent, maybe a few young at heart hunters too. I also know often the entire back wall is blocked by cots and gear so its not really that great of a function anyway without the second tent option. It is possible a second door would get more ventilation but not sure how much. The second door with screen and a extra flap adds more expense than a window. There is also a question whether a second door weakens the tent versus a window but that should not a big deal unless your in a tropical depression with hundred mile an hour winds.

In the end I went with a window versus a door. A window should be fine as wall tents breath and the volume of air inside is comfortable unlike small sticky plastic mountaineering tents, the type I used to crawl into like an igloo.

A screen door was a must have for me but those hunting in higher cooler climates may opt for no screen. There is also the option of individual screens for cots which many like to use under a tarp anyway.

One thing I chose to add to the door is what Davis calls a Colorado Door, most just call it a flap with string ties. What this does in addition to having the standard zipper is give you an option if the zipper breaks in the field and helps to batten the tent down in bad weather like blowing/freezing rain. Nothing like having your zipper all iced up from freezing rain or a ten pound block of ice froze to the bottom of your door.

Conclusion, prices are going to go up for sure. If you have been thinking about getting a wall tent for the 2011 hunting season now seems like a good time to get it done. Happy camping and good luck with your bows in 2011, Keep it safe out there at home and in the field!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Wall Tent 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Congratulations, sounds like you jumped in before the increase. I know they come with different specs and all, what is yours going to be?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
I've got a canvas cabin w/2 doors and I'm glad I got it that way.  Had it over 20 years.  

It's surprising how hot a wall tent can get if you don't have shade, something more common than not for me.

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I got a 12'x14' with rear window, screen door, Colorado Door (heavy weather door flap with ties). It came with a zipper, sod flaps, and stove flap so I pretty much got the basic hardcore hunting tent. I plan to get a 24' or 28' heavy rain fly pretty soon. They called Friday and said it was on the UPS Truck heading this way. I think I will set up as soon as it gets here and move into it, SMILES.  

Yes, you can get a hot tent if you don't camp smart. I camped for ten days in August last year in Arkansas, will not be doing that again in this life. That camp was dry, the lake was down and dead hot on top, it was the height of miserable camping but at least I was outside. I would not have done that but a crazy friend of my called up and said he was coming this way and wanted to camp out. I warned him about the heat, the second night we almost had to take him to the hospital as his legs went stiff from dehydration.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Congrats on your new tent.  You will not be sorry. Davis makes a great tent and are wonderful people to work with. I bought one several years ago and have camped for up to 30 days at a time in total comfort. I went with colorado doors and screens on both ends and have never been sorry. You have something that will last a lifetime.......now  HAPPY CAMPING  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
I got a wall tent from Canvas Cabins last year and he puts a back door in all of his. That way if you ever want to go to 2 tents together or get the extra room you don't have to modify your tent. The first time we used the tent we were camp at the ATBA Jamboree in an open field. Daytime temps were 82F with no wind. Hot enough. We opened the front and back doors and both side windows and I was comfortable enough to have a nap in there! (I can't sleep if it's too hot)  My wife absolutely loves the tent. She says it was well worth the price.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Who is Davis??  I am looking for a wall tent also.
capt eddie

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
82F LOL, thats wintertime where I used to live. I think we hit a hundred and five last year in August. On several occasions I have slept outside and it was so hot you just laid there sweating buckets under the mossie net, thats with no tent but no breeze either.

Davis is Davis Tent in Colorado.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I like wall tents but not when its windy...

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
I went to a camper for the open country in MT after picking my tent out of a barbwire fenceline one year.  It was surrounded by big round bales and still got ripped out of the ground.  Had to replace two poles.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
How about floors? I hate bugs.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
I should know better than to read threads like this !!    :banghead:  

Thanks Bryan For pushing me over the edge !!!

I talk to Chris today at Davis tents ,And before we got done a 12 X 14 was on order,Colorado door, Three screen windows ,The screen door ,And the stove,and the traditional setup.When I figured it up it was about $250 more than what they came up with. I asked them to figure it up again ,He came up with the same price, I must have got great discount for my great looks    :biglaugh:  

They are definitely great people to work with.
 My wife said  "If that eight year old can do it we can to" She was talking about the DVD of the setup of the tent on Davis website.

I've been wanting to do this for years,I wish I would've done it 10 years ago.3 to 4 weeks and it'll be here.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Something to think about. I ordered a wall tent with two windows, one in either side. We were camped in hot weather in the summer (July). The two windows allowed the breeze to blow thru the tent. It was slightly cooler inside than outside believe it or not.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Carl, Good for you. Im in the same boat wishing I would have done this years ago. Today I called Davis back and ordered two of their heavy duty cots. It was a about 250 with shipping but I figured what the heck, go for it. We plan to hit as many camps as we can this year, bladesmith gatherings, Trad Archery, and maybe even some Muzzleloader Camps.

JW, I kinda cheat in that department, I use a fan if its hot. After living off the grid in Alaska for a bit I learned a bunch of tricks like car or motorcycle batteries, solar trickle chargers, and inverters to power up.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Bryan,
     I think your going to be very happy with your choice of tents. I have a Davis Tent pretty much the same specs as yours 12 X 14 with a rear window, no screen door, zippered canvas door and stove jack.
     Nothing like a wall tent and a wood stove for a comfortable camp.!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
The only downside to wall tents here in Idaho are the mountain mice.

I once trapped 19 mice in one night in my tent----with one mouse trap.

Didn't sleep a wink, just kept listening to the mice getting closer and closer to the trap, then WHACK! Reload the trap and wait for the next one.

I've had many camps with similar mouse problems, but 19 in one night still stands as my record.

Of course, if you are not packing deep into the back country and don't need to go light, you can have a tent with a floor.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Rik,
      Mountain Mice no problem, try coming back to camp after dark to find a Pine Marten in your tent in the dark.!!
      I was wearing a different pair of pants the next morning...   :laughing:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Rik, how did those mice grill up? Any good with eggs for breakfast? Man at truckstop sees all the camo and asks "How was your hunting trip?" hunter replies "Got 19, best trip ever!"  :)

There is a story among a small group of guys I know up in Alaska. A guy up there, a bush version of a bum would squat in old cabins but the guy was a real cockroach, you know the type that could survive a nuclear bomb at ground zero. He disappeared for months one winter then showed back up with the nicest parky anyone had ever seen. It was shiny and slick like sheered mink. The story that's told is he killed voles all winter in a cabin he was froze into, that he skinned, ate, and tanned every single one then made the coat out of the fur. His story finishes when he was dragged off to town by the guys in the white coats.

Even if you have a floor mice will eat through the wall. Depending on what your hunting a dog in the tent might stink up your hunt. In that case I might try to spray a little fox urine or something predatory to mice around the edges of the wall.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
How many use traditional setup for you Davis wall tent ?

Carl

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
"Ah Rats! Blind Guard"" from DB or Cabela's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement