3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads  (Read 214 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadheads
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
For those of you who sharpen the Grizzly single bevels without using a KME sharpener...How would you go about setting the angle on the bevel to 25 degrees? Do you just eyeball it? I am thinking that the grizzly's will be my go to broad head this coming year and from what I have seen on here they need a pretty intensive initial sharpening session.
I cannot afford to buy the KME sharpener right now, and if I could I would go with the Abowyer heads anyways.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
I think the bevel is already cut at the 25 degree angle if they are the new ones.  30 Degree if they are old. Use a black marker on the bevel to learn your angle.
capt eddie

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Here is how I do it..  I lay the file on a flat surface, then with the griz on  a shaft I place  the edge I m working on on the file then press the bevel down with my finger.  It will rock up to the correct angle.  Then drew it down the file gently while holding that angle.  It is easy..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
So the new Grizzly's are set to a ~25 degree angle then? That would make life a lot simpler...
     :banghead:
Malachi C.

Offline ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Yep .. take no time at all to sharpen the new heads. I need more and can't find anyone that has them in stock ... guess I'll wait!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Yep, the new Grizzlies are beveled at 25 degrees.  Nothing particularly magical about that.  25 degrees is about as acute as one can make the angle and still have an edge that will hold up under use.  The bevel angle was a bit more on earlier versions, but they also work(ed) well.  Really no need to rebevel them.  Just sharpen them.  Even the earlier versions had a more acute angle than most double bevel two-blades and any three-blade head.  It's just the nature of the beast.  The cutting edge can be made most acute (and still maintain strength) on a single bevel head.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. Ssoden, I am having the same trouble at the moment...all I can find are the 130 grains right now.

On a side note, has anyone used the Tusker Concorde?
How does that compare to the grizzly?
Malachi C.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
i just ordered some concordes and should have them real soon.  alot od positive comments on them.  you can also ship your heads to KME and they will sharpen your heads for you, the tusker heads dont come sharpened at all or really have a edge on them so im going to have the experts do the first sharpening for me
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
do a quick search on the sites search feature, loads of good info on Sharpening the Grizzly heads.

Imo the Tuskers dont compare up against the Grizzly
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©