3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do you shoot what you shoot?  (Read 711 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do you shoot what you shoot?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
I shoot a recurve riser bettern than a longbow riser. One exception was oddly a RACO by John McCullough but over time, arthritis created such havoc in my spine and shoulders, I had to drop weight and let the RACO go.

Love how a longbow looks and shoots quiet, but I shoot a recurve so much better!

Recently tried some of the lighter riser mass smaller recurves... couldn't hit consistently with any of them! NOr the smaller riser longbows.

Don't know if it's the grip, but I strongly suspect its got to do with some body mechanics and that, for me, I need the heavier riser mass to shoot consistently.

I'd say go to some good shoots and shoot a lot of different bows from vendors and friends and find what handle suits you best and then order one.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I, like a lot of others here, left the whole wheelie thing for a much less complicated form of archery. Of the three bows I own my favorite is the Hunter longbow. It's just so simple and clean. I have, however, stumbled onto an arrow setup for the T/D recurve that is just plain awesome! This is making for a very difficult choice come Spring turkey season...
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I just love the looks of the simplicity of the LongBows , also like the 50's style recurves
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I only shoot bows that make me angry!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I really enjoy shooting both !!! I guess it just depends on my mood.  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
I shoot both and am way too insensitive to tell the difference. I cannot even detect the difference between fast flight string and dacron.

If I could only have one bow it would either be a recurve or a longbow.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I enjoy shooting both recurves and longbows.  The bows made by the Oregon bowyers are my preference.  Blacktail, Fox, and Wes Wallace.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I shoot both and I don't see why not. It's not like every longbow is the same. I appreciate each bow I have and I love the way the look and shoot.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I love them all....recurves, longbows, right handed left handed, you name it!  I've even found myself sitting on stand, looking down to realize I have my shooting glove on the wrong hand!   :laughing:  

I really need to pick a side and a bow and stick with it!  My loyalty is pathetic...

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I shoot recurves.  The qualities that most longbow shooters like about longbows (light in your hand and shoot an arrow effortlessly-can't think of a better term-) I don't like.  I like the heavy weight of a TD recurve or solid one piece and the thump after releasing an arrow.

That's why I shoot recurves.
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
My wife nailed it for me once and said "your not selling another thing" anything I sell, I buy back, I shoot longbows and recurves and decide I'm just going to shoot one and then change my mind and just going to shoot the other. Done with that, I have both and switch whenever it feels right. I would love to just shoot one but apparently I can not. I have never shot a selfbow or a flatbow - hope I never do or I'll own them too.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I have both even though I am down to only one long bow.  

I prefer recurves

I love the grace of all stick bows and use traditional gear not because it is traditional but because I believe they are the best tool for my style of hunting.  

We do alot of archery deer drives and for the quick close shooting in my mind I cant beat my recurve even though a longbow would work as well i like my curly tips
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Growing up I shot an old solid fiberglass recurve.  In college I shot target recurve.  When I got married I followed the crowd and went to a compound - but the arrow was too fast and my pricey aluminums destroyed themselves on stumps and rocks (when small game hunting and roving).  I own an "old style" long bow - a Martin ML-10 reworked by Dick Palmer - but I never got so I liked the awkward grip and wrist angle and had a lot of problems with under/over because of the trajectory - too slow.

So I went back to recurves - just right.  They seem to suit my temperament; but it might just be because the mannerisms are wired into my mind and muscles.  I have only occasionally tried a center-cut longbow or a reflex/deflex of the same and I'm pretty sure they would be fine - but why shoot a recurve that looks like a longbow when you already like and shoot recurves?     :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
If you can "hold your water" long enough to get to a trad show where there are different bowyers who will let you try their bows you can then make an "informed decision"--until then get to a trad shoot and Beg some of the guys there to let you shoot their bows, I've never said no to a archer who admired my Bob Lee (or any other bow I have-Shhhh the wife is across the room) when they asked if they could try it!! GOOD LUCK BROTHER

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I like the longbow
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I once had a bluff charge at me by a 300+ pound black bear in Alberta.
I now shoot the biggest risered recurves I can. Heavy and solid. Should something similar happen again, If I cant get a shot off or miss, I'm going to die clubbing the living daylights out of something.
David M. Conroy

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
I am amazed at the abundant responses in just a short time.  Even though I have not been shooting traditional long I know better than to expect an answer from others opinions.  What I expected was just to hear some feedback and reasons for each individual and I have received that greatly.  I truly appreciate everyone's posts and I do plan on shooting different bows before buying.  I currently have two recurves (different weights) but would have to sell both to buy another.  I have the common problem of to many hobbies with a tiny budget!  That is why it seems like I have to choose now.  The truth is if I don't like my next bow I will probably sell it and keep looking.  

wapitimike1 - Your outlook on archery would suit you well in golf also!

Thanks

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Lots of sage advice in the posts. Common thread is try a bunch and find what works best for you....and that may change over time.

For me....the first bow I ever shot was a red Bear fiberglass, the first bow I ever bought with my own $ was a Bear, and in my hand every time I go afield is some type of Bear TD. Classic design that hasn't changed in nearly 40 years.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
longs and curves, its all good!!!

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I owned an Ol' Ben Pearson Longbow years ago.  Even as a strong, young man (what I used to be) that 70# bow's hand shock caused me to sell it an get a recurve.  Since than I've perferred recurves, that is until recently when I purchased a Holm-made Osprey a few weeks ago.  Now, I maybe a convert back to longbows.

I say all that to really reiterate what has already been said, shoot a bunch of bows and find out what you like.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©