3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing's here... suggestions for sunglasses?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing's here... suggestions for sunglasses?
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
Last year was my first to try bowfishing, thanks to the kindness of a friend with a boat rigged for the job.  I got along well and had a LOT of fun, but it wasn't long before I identified two weak points in my game.

I had an old Cajun spool reel, which was fine, but too S-L-O-W when the action was hot.  An AMS reel is now attached to the new-to-me Quinn Stallion I just picked up (thanks, Avid Archer!), so THAT problem has been addressed.

The other place I needed improvement was my sunglasses.  I have Eagle Eyes glasses that were OK, but my friend could consistently spot fish I couldn't pick out.

I don't have $135 to ??? for the fancy name brands, but wondered if anyone had a suggestion for a pair of good, affordable polarized glasses.  I think I want polycarbamate lenses, but I need some help from the "Pros."  Thanks for you assistance!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing's here... suggestions for sunglasses?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Polarized wrap arounds from wally world 12.00
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
There is a great article in the latest Primitive Archer about Ozark bowfishing. You should be able to get a good set of cheaper polarized glasses from Bass Pro Shops or one of those fishing outfitters.  Just yesterday I found a old pair of my fishing glasses that  I have not seen since the last time I went Flyfishing in Key West 12 or thirteen years ago, good glasses too.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
its not just the glasses, you need to learn how to spot the fish,( my freinds always say how can you see them fish!) you just have to know what to look for,its hard to explain....wallyworld has some good polarized glasses for about 10.00 bucks.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
...wallyworld....12.00. In my younger/dumber days I used to buy the expensive "trendy" sunglasses but after dumping a few pair in the water I slowly wised up.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
I use the Walmart ones too, cheap, but work great. I can spot trout in a stream that others never see.
David M. Conroy

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I put blinders on the sides of the glasses to help eliminate side glare. I also use amber lenses most of the time. I buy the floaters for my glasses..I wear blue mirror gray glass for everyday use here in sunny Florida.

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I too use cheap polarized glasses from a big box store.  Spent about $20 on a wrap around pair, and this will be my 5th or 6th year of using them.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
As already mentioned here you don't have to spend a ton of money.  Polarization is the key.  That is what will cut the glare on the water and allow you to spot the fish more easily.

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Arrow30, there is something to be said about spotting. Even in fishing with a pole you can have the best gear in the world and be flat outfished by a guy on the bank with a cane pole if he is getting the bait in front of the fish.

Around here most people shoot from a lit up platform that has the fish on the surface feeding on insects but you still need to have some idea of whats going on. You get in the creeks and you start needing to understand structure and what we refer to in flyfishing as a lay. That is a place in the current where a fish will lay in wait for food to come floating by. Most often its around a piece of structure that offers the fish some drafting but forces smaller bits to go there in the current right in front of its face.

Any old cowboy will tell you that when a big storm comes up the horses will stand with their  backsides facing into the wind. Fish on the other hand almost always rest/hunt with their heads into the current.

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
+1 on cheap sunglasses, they even make songs about cheap sunglasses. They make songs about fishing too. Now we just need a song about Trad Bowhfishing with Cheap Sunglasses; anybody got ZZ Tops phone number?  :)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by hvyhitter:
...wallyworld....12.00. In my younger/dumber days I used to buy the expensive "trendy" sunglasses but after dumping a few pair in the water I slowly wised up.
+1  Over the years I've found that I can break/lose an $80 pair of sunglasses much faster than a cheap pair.  I haven't paid over $15 for a pair in years, which comes in handy, since I still manage to lose at least 2 pair each year!

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Campmor usually has great prices/sales on polarized glasses. I try to have a pair of amber, rose, and grey lenses with me to swap out with different conditions.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
My vote is for the cheap $10 barkley wall mart specials too.  Bowfishing can be a tough and dirty sport. Don't want a nice pair of costas or oakleys getting scratched or going to davy jone's locker.  
Use gray lenses on clear sunny days and the ambers on cloudy days and evenings.
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I have oakleys, costa del marr,maui jims and ray bans in every body of water in florida.  I keep telling myself to go cheap next time and the cheap sunglasses do work, but most of the cheaper sunglasses lack fit.  I wear sunglasses alll day when I am outside.  For me, the costa del mar brand has a great al day fit
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I have a pair that I wear all the time. If I remember correctly they were about $20 from cabelas. Backwater bowfishing sell a pair called Fish-Skins (IIRC) that are supposed to be really good value.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Gregg,  those floaties things that go on glasses are about $6-$10..Google "croakies" they are about $8 and work.. I lost a nice pair of Ocean Waves 15 years ago in the Gulf of Mexico, that was before I started using Croakies...been wearing the same pair of Costa Del Mars to work  for the last 10 years..they are beat up but still fit fine.. I have another pair of glass costas I got from the St Judes auction 2 years ago that I wear when not at work..I use the Walmart fishing glasses when bow fishing during daylight hours, don't need them at night.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Yeah, Robert, but that would make sense and that is counter to most things I do....  :D
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I wear the cheapies too.

The way I break and scratch glasses I cant to teh expensive ones.

I have to say  I usually look good in them too   :biglaugh:  

But i see more fish than my friends.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©