3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Repairing Finish on Glass Limbs  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Repairing Finish on Glass Limbs
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
I had a little "accident" trying to cross an icy stream in the mountains last fall, and have a couple of scratches on the limbs of my bow that I would like to fix or at least make them look a little better.  
Can I just sand them out lightly and then recoat with a spray?  Any other magic tricks out there to fix up clumsyness?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Repairing Finish on Glass Limbs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
It may be difficult to make a repair blend in, it may be easier to lightly coat the whole bow so that the finish doesn't have a fuzzy spot around the edges of the repair.  
I have refinished a few bows using satin spray on poly, I think they turned out nicely.  And no problems so far when getting them wet.
Lightly sand the scratches to blend them in.  Clean bow well.  Scuff the whole bow with steel wool, wipe down with alcohol to clean, then spray. First coat light, then heavier coat or two.
That should make it look better.  There are also professionals who do it for a living, they can make it look new again.
Dan

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
I dropped my old longbow on a set of weights and put a nick through the glass to the wood.

The bowyer said to clean it (I think with rubbing alcohol, I don't remember for sure) tape around it close to the hole with masking tape, put a dab of supper glue on the hole, take a tooth pick and poke the supper glue to get any air bubbles out of it,let it dry, take 400 grit wet/dry sanding paper and sand to the level of the hole. The hole I repaired was small, about one eight inch square and this method worked.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Bob Thompson the long time bowyer for Zipper told me to use superglue too.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
good to know!

You guys are purty smart.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©