3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Machetes anyone?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Machetes anyone?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Have you thought about the ever-versatile Kukri?

I find them as useful as a machete, perhaps more so because they are heavier.
Go placidly

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I've used them off and on all of my life and they're fine and functional if you keep them sharp.    

However, be very careful with them.   Always remember to pay attention and keep your hands and especially your legs away from their arch.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
I carry the woodsman pal to and this year I pick up RTAK II it is little over 16" long and will cut through just about anything,it is and Awesome knife.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Like I said, I must have never seen a good one or anyone that knew what they were doing with one...going to haved to youtube machetes now lol.  I'm still not giving u my folding saw...   ;)
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
I know there are a lot of people that like machetes, but I can't figure out why.     :dunno:   Maybe I have just never had a good one...or even seen a good one.  I have used a folding saw or loppers working side by side with folks using machetes on countless tasks and ended up getting more done with less effort every time.  

Sorry to rain on your parade or hijack your thread, but that is just my experience.
Hey Gregg you are getting a machete! Just let me find out about the laws here to ship it.

Here in Mexico a machete is a must on every outdoor trip, it can do the work of an axe, a knife, etc, even as a weapon, plus it is part of our culture
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Gerber and SOG make good ones you can get them from SMK.com . The best one I ever had was when I was in the Philippines it was made from a leaf spring from a car. Great tool to have especially if you have brier's around your area.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Just an update but it has been narrowed down between the condor kukri, golok and bolo
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline K Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
nightowl1,

I have read reviews of the Condor brand in places such as British Blades.  Most of the reviews are quite negative as to quality.  Those folks prefer the Tramontina brand from Brazil, which I have not tried.  The only complaints about the Tramontina is the handle needs to be shaped and the edge needs some attention.  I have and use the Martindale #2 Golok.  I would not classify it as a true machete, but it suits my needs.  It was a replacement for the Woodsman's Pal, which didn't.  Martinade also makes a wide assortment of machetes, and the quality of the steel is excelent.  The only thing I would say about the Martindale line is, like the Tramontina, they also benefit from a little work on the handle and edge.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
for Machetes my bet is "Tramontina" from Brazil or "Bellota" from Colombia
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
gregg,

I'm in your boat.  We have a lot of palmettos and vines, and a pair of loppers really goes fast on those, especially when trying to clear a trail to the ground.  For a quicker, dirtier trail (on the move) I would think a machete would be useful.  

For the ultimate in lane clearance why not a tractor and shredder.     :dunno:    

On machetes, my only advice would be to not buy Gerber, but I see that is not on the list.     :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Dave Canterbury has taken an Ontario machete/sheath and modified them into a nice Bushcraft/Survival tool. I picked-up a couple of the Carborundum sharpening stones he attached to his sheath and they work well on large blades.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters#p/u/0/pQhwbR2a2X4
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Like Gregg I live in Florida, I use a set of long handle loppers when cutting or trimming trails..30 years ago I bought whatwe call a sugar cane knife..it was made in Columbia South america and is the best machete I have ever seen or used..the metal is thin and strong.  I use a file to sharpen it. I wish i would have bought a dozen of them, I got it at a army/navy store when I was 18 years old..it looks similar to thisone       http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/machete-cane-knife-86003.aspx

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I would look at a Kershaw Outcast 1079 with D-2 Tool steel for around 80$-100$$.Very high quality for the money!10 inch blade and about 14" overall length.I dont think you could do better for the costs.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
OK, Pon!  If you say its a good 'un that's good enough for me!   :thumbsup:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Scott88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I use a cold steel long handle machete,this is a very handy tool for clearing shooting lanes,and can be used as a digging tool,walking stick,snake smacker,list goes on,plus there cheap.

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Nightowl, try here for handmade REAL kukris. There is no option for a kukri but to buy from Nepal if you want a good one. They are cheap but awesome and will last forever

http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/
Go placidly

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I have a Tramontina that was a gift from my Grandmother about 20 or so years ago. Its awesome.  Ive hacked through brush, vertebrae, and have used it in the yard since I got it. Its an awesome tool that every outdoorsman who gives a try will fall in love with em and like Pon,  theyre a big part of my culture.   :goldtooth:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
This is my "Buffalo Knife" that I carry when I need to do some serious hackin. The handle material is a choice of buffalo horn or walnut. It has a 10 1/4" blade and is 14 3/4" OA. This is a big knife with a shoulder rig option for a high underarm carry.

http://shrewbows.com/buffaloknife/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Nice looking knife Ron. Even though my small knives get the most use, I love big knives.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Check out the Fiskars Brush Axe. I bought one to use around the house. The blade wasn't as sharp as I like so I put a file to it. Maybe they don't sharpen the blades very much because they are afraid of getting sued by careless people.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©