3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Machetes anyone?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline KillerDyller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Machetes anyone?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I've had good luck with my Blackie Collins. Pretty sturdy, blade is between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. Picked it up at gander mountain if I remember correctly.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
I use Tramontina machetes daily. Use the 12", 18" and 22", and prefer the wood handles. Have even cleaned and butchered hogs and deer with the 12". 18" is great for clearing heavy brush, 22" is better for thick tangled brush (vines, briars, palmettos).
I have a few friends in the surveying business and they swear by the 22 and 24" Tramontina machetes for their business. Each of their trucks have a minimum of 4 on them. These guys cut some serious lines through some of the thickest heaviest brush you can come up against in Florida. They insist nothing short of a bulldozer will cut it as quick as a sharp Tramontina. Once you learn to use one they are priceless.

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
I will second the Tramontina machetes. This will be on my belt while bear guiding this spring.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I always have a sawback ontario machete handy. Mine are leftovers from military days. If you need them for vegetation, longer is better.

That Dave Canterbury video that Dannybows posted is spot on--

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Like several people have already said, Ontario makes a good machete.  It isn't anything fancy but it does the job.  I did land surveying for about 8 years and spent plenty of time swinging one and Ontario was the best one that I used.  I own two of them.  I cant remember what length I have but I would go with the mid-size one.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I’m very surprised I haven’t seen any mention to the USA made Legitimus Collins machete. It was the issued machete for our troops in WW2. Im sure some of our vets here can comment on their quality.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
As has been mentioned, the Ontario machete is a good choice for a straight up machete.  The handle sucks but you can modify that.

For a great large knife that will do many machete tasks and pretty much all knife ones, have a look at the Becker BK9 - it's one mighty blade.

Slightly more machete-like and much more costly is the ESEE Junglas.  They are great but I like the BK9 lots better.

Another decent option to check out is the KaBar Kukri Machete.  It's not really a machete though it performs like one and it's not really a kukri though it's shaped like one and chops like a freak.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
GingivitisKahn you're right about the Becker BK-9. I've got one (pictured earlier in this thread) that was made by Camillus, before Ka-Bar started making them. If I was going to be dropped off in the wilderness and could take only two knives, it'd be my Becker BK-2 Companion and the BK-9. If I could only have one, it'd be the BK-9. Awesome knives, especially at their price point.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I have an old one! No clue on make but I use it to cut out paths to my stands. Keep it sharp and it works a lot quicker than clippers or loppers. Shawn
Shawn

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
cold steel kukri.  the only way to go
ChuckC

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
ok, I would be a fool to not listen to resounding advice from my fellow tradgangers... so..

Sounds like Tramontina or ontario... I found one called fiddleback forge that looked real promising but I believe in the 80/20 principle... get 80% of the function for 20% of the cost...

Thanks for all the sound advice. Maybe I'll post some pics later of my choice and show you some of its many many great uses.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
A good budget alternative are Cold Steel Kukri machetes, either the standard or the magnum does the job to a low price, takes alot of abuse without breaking.
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
This was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law, many years ago. He brought it back from Honduras. (He’s a retired  missionary.)
The blade isn't anything special, but it's taken more than one chicken from the coop to the dinner table.  ;)  
 Their's is a big family, so we draw names around Thanksgiving. I always get excited when I find out he's drawn mine.
Funny... His wife seems to think his gift are poor choices. She's always apologizing for him as the recipient is unwrapping the package… Yeah, right?  :dunno:  
I also have a small hand-made cast net hanging on the wall. It was made by a fisherman he met on the beach in Cost Rica.

Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I am a huge fan of the ESEE Junglas but no doubt will look to a Beccker-9 at some point .

I always have one in the truck . I don't carry them when hinking etc but use them a fair bit for chores around the farm .

I like big knives !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
NICE PICS,,,GOOD INFO
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Pikeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
We use them constantly guiding for bear in northern Saskatchewan   Take a look at Baer Grilz model that just came out. Good handle  good feel. Too bad it has his name on it..
PBS Regular Life
P&Y Life

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
"Chops like a Freak" I like that Kahn.
I guided with a mountain man when I lived in Montana.He always had a Kukri with him in the woods.He said it was the best design he ever used for big knife chopping chores.(he was REAL handy with a blade). He was in NAM and learned the value of a big knife. For pure cool factor,it is hard to beat the pictured longblades from south/central America.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
Kukris are a super knife. It's quite incredible what forces get put to effect with the big, curved blade. A good, hand-forged kukri is an indispensable blade. Here are some of mine:

Go placidly

Offline Willrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
The cold steel sax is the best I have ever seen or used. I have both the 12in and 18in and they are great.
Until next time
Willie
Ranger in training
Ben Pearson Strato Jet 50# recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©