3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tabs  (Read 563 times)

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
Tabs
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
I'm playing heck getting an ancor with a glove , once I get in solid the string is in too deep and I don't get a clean release , used to shoot tab years ago, what is a good tab out there these days ?

Scott
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tabs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
For years I've used the old Saunders Fab Tad,I added an extra pice of Latigo leather under the plastic face.It shoots great no matter the weather and no grooving with heavy bows,a real clean release.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
I go back and forth with tab and glove, bottom line I just shoot better with tab. And it seems the calf hair works best with me, but don't last as long as the cordovan leather. Going to order a few calf hair ones today from 3-rivers.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I like a Bateman single finger hole cordovan tab,been shooting the same tab for the last five years.I bought mine from Valley Traditional Archery,a sponsor here.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I like my cordovan tab. It is clear for me that I get a much cleaner release with a tab. The Leather is smoother and doesn't groove like my glove did.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Fred Eichler Cordovan tab works the best for me, from 3Rivers.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I use a Blackwidow tab it works very well for me.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Alaskan supplies has some nice tabs that are thin which I like.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Tried a lot of stuff and just love the Eichler tab.  I love calf hair, but they don't last.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Saunders Pak-Tab. Best I've found. It is very adjustable as far as thickness goes, is very slick, is broke in out of the box, and moisture will not effect it.

Bisch

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks Guys , saw the cordovan at the supply houses , is it thin enough to feel the string and fingers ?
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I use Blackwidow and lately I have been experimenting with a Cavalier and it feels very good, lot less fumbling to grab the string and get the fingers/tab in place
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I've used Bateman cordovan split finger tabs for over 30 years.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Cordovan does vary a lot in thickness. Some of it takes a lot of breaking in. However it does last a long time. I prefer unborn calf hair because it is slick as ice and yet you get a great feel for the string. It takes no breaking in so it's ready to go from the get-go. We make a variety of tabs from cordovan and calf hair. Here are several of them.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Angel tabs are the very best for me. You can get several styles. They hold up very well, been shooting the same one for 5 years now, plus a back up. Not cheap but well worth it. Do a search. Shawn
Shawn

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I like Black Widow tabs, I use the 3 under one and it's hard to believe but they are one of the cheapest....under 10 bucks most places.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Tried a glove and hated it. I'm back to a BW now. I do have a couple that I cut out myself from scrap leather but I like the finger flaps around the nock.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
When I started I bought a tab from LL Beans, think it was a Saunders.  I didn't like the felt piece that stuck up to keep my fingers separated, or the two layers.  I had some vegetable tanned leather lying around that I had bought at a store that made leather products.  I cut a tab in the same shape.  I found it to be just what I needed .  I can feel the string and get a smooth release.  Plus I have made about a dozen and have two or three in my bag I carry to the stand, a couple on the desk under my bow rack. The piece of leather cost me less than 10 bucks and I have enough to make a dozen more.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
I have a BUNCH of tabs and have made some of my own.  One of the best tabs I have ever shot is the Eagles Flight Tabs pictured on the previous page.  It is just so comfortable.  That "O" ring is genius on a tab.  I have never had a tab feel as good.

I also like the Black Widow tabs with the velcro strap.  Since I shoot 3 under I took a BW tab and traced it out and fabricated my own tabs and I like them better than the BW tabs.

I have also read a LOT about the Bateman tabs, but have never tried one.

Good luck.

Nalajr

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I like the Black Widow tab which is a thick tab.  If you are looking for a thinner cordovan tab, the one 3 Rivers sells might be worth trying.  It is two layers, Cordovan face with a leather back.  If you want it thinner you could cut off the leather backing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©