3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to Archery and looking for how to get started  (Read 363 times)

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
New to Archery and looking for how to get started
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Hi everyone at TradGang, I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to join so I can get your advice.  

I’m completely new to archery not just traditional archery but archery in general, I haven’t shot a bow in 20 years and that was a cheap Service Merchandise bow (a store before the days of Walmart).  I’ve read the  http://www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html  page and have ordered two books “Shooting the Stickbow” and “Stalking and Still Hunting”.

I don’t have a traditional bow yet but plan on buying one soon, I just need to figure out which one.  I’m a big fan of “buy once cry once” so I don’t want to buy a bow that I will soon outgrow.  I plan on hunting white tail and turkey with it (never hunted before but that’s for a different post).  I’ve seen people recommend Mad Dog’s and Bear bows for newbies like myself, I’m looking for a single piece re-curve with a top end price being somewhere near the $500 range, a lower price would be welcomed but not required.  Please let me know what you guys recommend.  

I also see people recommend starting out with a light draw weight and working their way up.  I was thinking that because most of the bows I’ve looked at have their poundage set at a 28” draw if I should go up in poundage because my draw is more like 27”.  I was thinking of a 45lb bow, which for me would be closer to 42lbs or so I believe.  What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help guys.

ps ( I did use the search option and found some info, but it seems like most everyone here comes from an archery background while I am a complete newbie.  Sorry for asking a question that I’m sure has been asked multiple times here)

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to Archery and looking for how to get started
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Welcome to the club.  You made one good decision already by joining here.  My advice would be if you get a chance to shoot several different bows before you buy then do it.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Try and see if there is a traditional shop, a club with some traditional shooters, or a larger traditional shoot in your area.

My first bow that I bought after borrowing a bow from a friend was a Martin Hunter.  Shot and hunted with bow for 15years before buying a custom bow.

About 40, 45 or 50 lbs ought to do it.  Check your state regulations for minimun draw weights.  Don't go too heavy.

Alot of archery is about form, learn and practice good form, with matched gear, and such you should do well.

Many great used bows out there too.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Look up above on the right side of this page.  You'll see a link called "New To Trad Archery?"
Clik on that for some very helpful information and the answers to a lot of your questions.

Beyond that, it sounds like you are on the right track as far as weight goes, and that should make a fine hunting bow.  You are bound to find a bunch of different recommendations on which bows to consider, and there are a bunch of good ones.  Just keep in mind that other people's opinions are just that - the opinions of other people.  The bow that is best for you is something that only you can determine.  If you have any opportunity to shoot a few that is the only way to really find out what is best for you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
welcome
i too am new to archery after 25 years as a kid shooting a fiberglass bow and this is the place to be great site and great people
good luck becoming one with whatever bow you choose enjoy and the only advice i can give you and as stated above this is just my opinion buy a few flu flu arrows almost every time i go shoot if theres enough room i let a fluflu arrow with a rubber blunt fly at about 45degrees and watch the flight of the arrow and the sound takes me back to when i was a kid every time enjoy
b44mag

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Good job doing some research first! I went and bought a bow, and then did the research and that was a huge mistake.

Make sure to figure out if you are going to shoot lefty or righty, depending on your dominant eye. Then pull back some bows and figure out a good draw weight. Overbowing yourself at first will lead to poor form and possibly injury.

Also, I recommend buying a cheaper bow to start with, and moving to a more expensive one as you move up in draw weight and in form. For instance, you can buy a $500 custom bow that you love, but you might have to get it at 40# so you can draw it, then after a year or so, you want to move up to a 50#, but you spent too much on your current one. Start small and progress in bows as you progress as a shooter. This is my best advice from one newbie (who made plenty of mistakes) to another.
~Brock

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I've been to a few shops and so far have only found one place with more than a few traditional bows.  The only problem is they sell Bear traditional bows and that's about it.  Nothing against Bear I just want to see what else is out there before I buy is all.  

bsoper-I never thought about the increasing of weight in future bows, that makes perfect sense.

If anyone knows of a good archery store in the Hudson Valley, please pm me.  Thanks again.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
so it begins    -     :archer:  5
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Might want to think about used for first one. Odds are you will have a totally different perspective on what you like in a year. Most likley you wont lose much if any money on selling or trading a used bow. Welcome to the Gang. Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang!!

It's a wonderful journey that you've decided to take. Enjoy it along with the rest of us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Welcome Aboard Jeremy! Ya might want to try some bows out before you buy. Even if you just look them over (draw weight may be too high) and order a lighter one... Then comes learning how to shoot the "right way" from the start. Better get yourself some one-on-one time with a good teacher. It worked for me big time. There's only so much books, videos and this site can do. Gotta put what you learn into practice.

Best Of Luck!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I would suggest getting a cheap target bow and some target arrows to practice with. About 30-40 lbs. Then as you get stronger, better, etc., you can shop for your "real bow". That way, you can get some experience in right away.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I am not from New York, but there has been a thread going on a stump shooting gathering in the state.
   NY stump shoot

I would try to find out where and when (I think this Sat.)   And do your best to be there.  I am sure the New York guys are like all the trad bow shooters I have me,t and generous with time, help and willingness to let you try to shooting some arrows.  Might he;p you find a bow you  like and meet some mentors.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Two Wolves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
"Masters of the Barebow III" (DVD) Do not wait, order it now. I am new as well. Just received my copy recently and it is AWESOME!

Welcome to the campfire!   :campfire:
Striker Stinger
58" 50#@28

There is a cabin full of dreams in the backwoods of my mind.

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
welcome. I'm new also, but a little further along. I was lucky to borrow a couple bows not in use by some close friends. Old beaters they were not affraid to "lose" if they were damaged. if you cant do that, get a used bow. any decent brand that has straight limbs and you are throwing arrows. **** trust me on this **** Check out Terrys Form clock bro. I've hunted with a bow for 23 yrs, but not a stick & string. So I just shot and shot, had fun, THEN the accuracy questions started coming. Check out the form clock first. it'll help I promise. Just enjoy the process and as you progress, jump on here and ask away! NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION. Great people here.
CAT22

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I have to admit I wasn't too keen on getting a used cheap bow to start with, but you guys have sold me on the idea of buying a used bow to learn on and upgrade later.  Thanks.  now its time to search the classifieds

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Great choice , great exercise and a very useful skill to boot!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Whip has it and RER Arroyo is a fine one-piece that can be had for near that price. Depending on a lot of things 42#s may be a good weight to start but if you are fairly strong and want to have it for a while may be light later on. You could start out with a 40# used bow, say Bear,Martin and once you are sure you are gonna like it, sell and not be out much if anything. Than decide on a poundage and custom that you will have for a very long time. Shawn
Shawn

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
You got some great advice already,so I'll just say "Welcome to the Gang!"   :campfire:    :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Don't assume an "old, cheap bow" is going to be a "learner". A dead deer from a well placed arrow is never going to ask you what your bow cost you! Keep a positive attitude on whatever you are shooting. I'd say there are a ton of guys here shooting a 70's, 60's or older bows that would whoop us both easily! U just might shoot that old bow lights out. Shoot what works for YOU, but being a traditional archer does not demand you drop 500+ on a custom just because....
CAT22

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©