3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FLATTENING BAMBOO ???  (Read 409 times)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
FLATTENING BAMBOO ???
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Hello everyone i am going to back a board bow i am making with bamboo but i keep cracking it. I know i probably need bigger pices but it's kinda hard to find any bigger around than say the diameter of a golf ball here in tennessee.  It's probably around im just not seeing it.

I need a kyak or canoe.

Any way i have tried heat and clamps would steaming it do me any better? im open for anything and running out of suitable pieces.  i found a bulldozer burring my boo stash in about ten feet of dirt this weekend also. thanks in advance
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FLATTENING BAMBOO ???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
The stuff you have is river cane and not big enough to back a bow with. If you do a search on bamboo growers you might find one in your area who has the big stuff, 4" in diameter or larger. You can order bamboo for backing if you can't find it locally.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
That river cane would make some really durable arrows.  I shoot with a guy that only shoot river cane arrows he makes and he has never broken one.  He has smacked trees square on and rattled them around thru the trees without hurting them.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
I can bend it really far and it takes no set at all.  I wonder if i could splice off one of the sides and shape the wood to fit into the river cane?  It might take some serious shapeing, but it's just time right.   :)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Oh yeah Eric, thanks for the idea of searching for a grower in my area i did'nt even think that people might be growing it commercially.  Thanks again.  But i know the river cane can be flattened i had some pretty flat and then it cracked at the nodes from the inside. And the other half has closed back together. so it will bend maybee im just barking up a tree with nothing but leaves in it.

Offline whistle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
I would check out 3riversarchery.com for bamboo...because the problem with small diameter stuff is that it is going to have large crown to it, although I guess nothing is impossible.  Who knows.. it might make a good belly material.  I have seen a couple of bows that are backed with bamboo and had bamboo on the belly.  They were pretty nice!  Maybe river cane can be used like this?  Good luck.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Killer B i found a grove of boo and there are some stalks in there that are 6-8" dia. i've not messed with it before but you got me to thinking about it now. shoot me a pm, i might be able to find a piece that will work for you.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Until you have some real experience with boo, I'd buy from a dealer that selects and/or cuts it for bows.  Making bamboo backed bows is too much work to risk questionable material.  Get Dean Torges' video on making bamboo backed bows.   www.bowyersedge.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
KillerB, what part ot TN are you in?  I have two @ 72" pieces that are about 3.5" to 4" drying in my garage now.  Maybe I can get one to you somehow, as long as you share how you falttened it with me.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I do have one that is probably just over three inches in diameter that is green.  But i had one that probably just wide enough if i flattened it two cover two inches that was dry and i tried boiling it yesterday and cracked it too.  i might need to get that video john was talking about.  And to lonewolf i live near Sparta not far from Cookeville or Crossville right about in the middle of the state on the cuberland plataue.  Oh and paleface i might just have to take you up on that.
Not that i have anything against buying it from 3 rivers or anything but the reason i started doing this was to do it myself or with friends.  I can buy meat at the store all day long but i would rather wait all day for it wander by.  :archer:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Here's a BBO Buildalong I did a few years ago.  Bamboo Backed Osage Bow Buildalong
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Here's another great Bamboo Backed Bow Buildalong.  2006 St. Judes Community Bamboo Backed Yew
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©