3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple more ?'s from a Newbie  (Read 148 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A couple more ?'s from a Newbie
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
A few questions guys, I have an American Archery "American Hunter" 57"  43lbs@28" that I shot when I was younger that belonged to my grandpa. I will be visiting a few bowyers this summer to order a bow (probly a silvertip) but he is 9 months out and I need something to shoot and learn trad archery. Is this an ok bow for now ( I know its a cheapie) and what should I look for to see if its still structurally sound to restring and use. It has some scratches and dings. Also has duct tape residue (they taped on a quiver, lol) what would you use to clean the bow.

And what kind of arrow setup for it?

Lastly, I have a really old longbow (selfbow?) That belonged to my great grandpa, I posted pics. Do you think this would be a candidate for the bow doctor to make it functional again?

Thanks and sorry for the 20 questions
Fin

Als
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple more ?'s from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
I would think the American Hunter would be a great starter bow. As long as there are no crack in the glass. But at 43# that is a good starting weight. You don't want a shoulder injury and it can happen when starting out with too much weight. As far as arrows I would go with some Easton 1916 for that weight. I hope that helps a little.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I don't know very much about older bows but if there are no cracks in the glass your American Hunter should be fine as a starter. I will let some of the bow builders comment on that longbow. If it is all natural(no glass) then there may be nothing for it. You could always hang it over the mantle as decoration.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
That American Archery bow is a perfect weight for starting with, and when you move-up in weight I'd use it for form work.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
If you want to shoot carbon arrows, a St. Epic 600's wwith 125 grain point should work. Cut about 29" long.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
If your grand fathers bow is straight with no cracks I would contact bowdoc and talk with him,the amarican hunter would be an excellant bow to start with.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys. No cracks in either bow. The longbow has no glass.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©