3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie poundage or weight question  (Read 385 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie poundage or weight question
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
I am new to hunting; I have seen bows from 25 pounds to 75 pounds. What is good poundage for hunting deer or pigs or even elk? Is it different for tree stands vs. on foot? Does the size of the animal decided how much you should have?

Also can someone tell me the advantages to having a longer bow vs. a shorter one with the same weight?

Thank you
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie poundage or weight question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I believe the legal minimum for hunting is 40#. I recommend starting there.

Longer bows tend to be more stable and provide less stacking. Shorter ones will maneuver better in a tree stand or blind
Thanks
K

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Too many variables to consider. Have you shot archery before? If so, what kind of bow at what draw weight? This entire site is directed towards a Hunting Priority. The archives are full of useful information. Just type in the search box whatever it is that concerns you & you'll find unlimited input. Myself & others herein will also assist with hopefully unbiased advice as well. PM or e-mail for more. Good luck
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
IMO 45-50 @ 28" is hard to beat and can handle all of the above animals.  You want a heavy arrow, 10 grains per pound of bow weight @ your draw length is a very good rule of thumb.  If your draw is longer than 28" add about 3lbs per additional inch when calculating arrow weight.  This is important in a bow of this draw weight.  For pigs and deer if hit right a 40# bow will skewer them.  My kids are getting about #35 out of their bows at their draw and shooting thru deer and pigs.  If you have a very short draw length (24-27")I would consider a shorter bow very seriously.  Otherwise nothing shorter than 58"  to start with.  Longer bows are just plain easier to learn on, heavy bows can be easier,(not draw weight heavy but actual weight of the bow itself) A hefty riser bow with bow quiver can make learning and shooting well easier.  Again this is personal opinion.  I hope this helps.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
It depends on your physical conditioning and build. Again depending on your body, 40-45# is generally a good starting weight.  Go less if you need to.  But as you get stronger move up to a higher weight.  Don't stop at 50# because it's a popular weight.  Now, if that is what your body tells you, LISTEN.  The higher weights improve trajectory and penetration.

I prefer 65# especially if you are talking animals up to elk.  Can less get the job done on any animal in North America?  Absolutely.  By some standards 65# is considered heavy weight, but I can draw it easily, hold at full draw, and shoot accurately.  I have no reason to want to shoot a lighter weight and I get all the benefits of the heavier weight.  Everyone has limits based on their body and amount of conditioning/shooting they can do.  When I shoot 80#, the weight makes it more difficult to focus on the fundamentals of executing a good shot.  That currently makes it a bad choice for hunting for me, so I shoot it more for conditioning.

Listen to your body and gradually work up to your max.  In that process you will find a weight along the way that is best for you.  It might be 40# but it may also be 70#.  But a controlled 70# is far better than a controlled 40# for hunting big game.  

Just make sure you don't lose control of the fundamentals in an attempt to shoot a higher weight.  

Remember that arrows are slow projectiles which require precise placement in order to kill consistently.  Bow weight, tuned arrows, and sharp broadheads become really important when something went wrong and arrow placement wasn't precise.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Trajectory is not improved by higher weights, if you take a 35# bow and a 50# bow of the exaxt same design and shooting the same grain arrow per pound of draw weight they will shoot the same speed and trajectory will be the until you get out well out past hunting distances. Different states have different requirements. In North America a 50# bow with a prefectly tuned arrow and razor sharp broadhead will kill anything that walks. Mind you for the larger species ecsp. moose you will want them close and either broadside and better yet quartering. It is better to shoot a lower weight that you shoot accurately than shooting a heavier bow that you are not as accurate with. It would be best to start with a light bow to learn form and get accustomed to shooting well, than moving up in poundage when you decide to hunt. Lots of good info on this site and plenty of people to help. Remember don't take everything you read from everyone as gospel! Not even me!(LOL!!) Shawn
Shawn

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Check your states hunting laws for weight requirements.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
if you start out at good elk/moose weights, you are likely to 1. pick up very bad shooting habits and 2. possibly do yourself some physical harm.   40 to 45 is a good start for hunting weight and will handle all of the more commonly hunted game... deer, black bear, average size pigs, etc.   Start there and work up.  If you really want to do yourself a favor, pick up a 30 to 35 pound used bow and shoot it a lot to get your form right before you move on to your hunting bow.  Use that for awhile before you move up to 50 plus if you find you really will be trying for the larger game animals.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Good advice from our man in Seattle.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Thank you guys for responding
OK what I have done is bought an inexpensive bow with a 35@29 to practice with form with. I will start lessons this weekend.
I talked to a bower and he said it will take him 14 to 16 weeks to complete my bow. I should be able to get myself trained in 10. We can talk lims than.
I should of also said I plan to hunt in Ca 1st.

P.S.
yes i know about the search but i like to hear what people are saying now.  
Thank you again
Robert

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Just type in the search box whatever it is that concerns you & you'll find unlimited input... Good luck
Seconded, you can find boat loads of good information on this topic if you search the site.  good luck and enjoy!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
As already mentioned, there is a plethora of information already posted regarding your question.

Please try to focus on form 1st and then increased poundage later if desired.

The other way around helps foster bad habits, lack of both improvement and enjoyment.

Bowyers have mentioned more than once that 9 out of 10 repeat customers order a lighter wt bow.
Also note that higher poundage bows crowd the classifieds.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Awesome advice above (as always)!
 My 2 cents, (also fairly new to this) start w/ a lt. wt. and get your shooting form down FIRST! Don't matter if you're in a stand or on the ground if ya can't confidently hit what you're aimin' at.
 Work your way up to the most "comfortable" Bow wt. you can handle. If you're lucky enough to be RH, I'm sure you can find several Bows of different wts./styles to try out.
 IMO, accuracy trumps speed when it comes to making a good, ethical shot at any animal. Many more are taken w/ a well placed shot than the wt./type of Bow used.

Keith
If this was easy, everyone would be doin' it!

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Dick in Seattle is right.45 or 50 is a good place to start.Practice, practice, practice.If you have patients hunting and get close,then its all about shot placement.I would like to see you get to pull a couple of different 50# bows and if you feel any strain at all drop down to 45 and so on.If 50 is just easy for you then you could go up.Remember also,that with traditional bows that 3#s up or down can make a large difference.Good luck and welcome aboard.

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
rluttrell,
  Just thought of this. Enjoyin' the feedback?
 Wait till you start askin' about Arrows!! LOL

Keith

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by LH Keith:
rluttrell,
  Just thought of this. Enjoyin' the feedback?
 Wait till you start askin' about Arrows!! LOL

Keith
Actually I have to admit I like what people are saying , I appreciate  the feed back. Its one reason I joined this group.
Arrows I am just trying to get the bow part right 1st. I will wait for my bow to get here or when I find out what its weight is at 29 inches.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I took a break   from traditional archery  when I got back into it  I started with a lighter bow and I am  very glad I did. Mt shooting is better than ever  start light and work your way up but learn proper shooting technique first  you will enjoy it more. an acurately placed arrow with a 50 pound bow is much deadlier than a shot in the wrong place with an 80 pound bow
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Hope you took my comment the right way.
 All the TGer's love to respond & help everyone with their input. Congrats & good luck w/ your new Bow!
                      Keith

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by LH Keith:
Hope you took my comment the right way.
 All the TGer's love to respond & help everyone with their input. Congrats & good luck w/ your new Bow!
                      Keith
Keith No worries, Yes I took it the right way.
I really do like all the feedback ok that’s a lie. I know I can look things up but the difference between then and now and not to mention I can respond to when someone writes something is so much better.

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »
I started with a 25# bow to learn how to draw. This was very rewarding because I could shoot all day and became accurate quickly. I then bought a nice 50# bow and it was an easy transition. I remained accurate and continue to use this 50# bow successfully in hunts.
Go placidly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©