3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light and fast vs heavy and slow  (Read 1053 times)

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light and fast vs heavy and slow
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I shoot a 560 gn arrow @ 55# and it hits the target like a pile driver. I'll take a heavy slower more forgiving arrow over speed anytime.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I am thinking that a super sharp broadhead is more important than anything. if u dont get two holes then a sharp broadhead cutting while inside of an animal will prob be fatal.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I been shooting a bow since 1959 and this discussion was in high gear even back then.  I let the bow tell me what weight arrow to shoot. I listen to the bow and when the sound is right, the feel is right and the flight is right; I stop fooling around and just shoot…  

The thing is that usually ends up between 10 and 12 grains per pound, I do believe in FOC and generally choose arrows and point weights that will put me in the 18% - 20% range when finished..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Something to consider, don't forget bone. Everyone wants that total passthru through soft tissue. You cannot and will not ever be able to control that. I've seen light setups go through bone, especially on caribou. But more often than not I hear about a buck that was stuck in the shoulder and never seen again.
 I agree with quite a bit on both sides. But in the end for me, I'm comfortable shooting the heaviest setup that flys the best for me. If I had two setups that flew perfectly one lighter and one heavier, I'd want the extra weight as insurance.
David M. Conroy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
30point 560 grains may be considered light, you do not say what #age you shoot, if you shoot 70#s that is fairly light gpp. As said no consensus at all just shoot what flies the best and that you are happy with. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
This debate always seems to go on and on with most proponents of either light or heavy remain firmly seated.

My position is not to set-up for the least I can get away. My set-ups are geared for the most I can get away with.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
For kicks I chrono'd my arrows the other day, out of my bow 475 gr arrows got 180 fps.  575 gr arrows got 174 fps!  I don't think you sacrifice any appreciable velocity with substative weight increases.  Physics would dictate that the heavier arrow may actually equal and exceed the down range velocity of the lighter one.  I don't have the cojones to shoot the chrono at 25 yds though!  I'm afraid I'll drill the machine. For what its worth
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
copperhead95 - generally takes ~100 grain difference for tuned arrows to effect your site window out to 20 yards. All bets off at 25 yards and beyond.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
That is correct, I found the 100 gr difference was negligible,about 3 inches at 20 yds for me but easily rectified by replacing my ridiculously large fletches with 4" shields.  The fletch put more trajectory comprimise on the set up than the point weight.  I am loving everything about the heavier set-up, It is 20% efoc and about 10gpp.  So not extremely heavy but all was good with it. Quieter bow, harder hitting and stable in flight! Lovin it!
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I have been shooting my heavy arrows for many years ( 700gr to 900gr ). Never thought much on the trajectory cause I like to count their eye lashes and smell their breath before I shoot em.Dont remember where I heard it but I liked it. ( I dont see how far I can get from an animal and hit it , I want to see how close I can get and not miss ) Greatness right there.
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
I say shoot what you want.  

There is one item that never gets talked about in the light versus heavy debate and that is wounding percentages of light versus heavy arrows.  Angled shots, animals turning at the shot.  string jumping, etc.... Lots of things lead to lost animals.  Heavy arrows help when bad hits happen.  Everything else being equal a heavier arrow simply penetrates better. deeper penetratqon on a bad shot can lead to a recovered animal.  

I keep hearing how everyone blows thru animals with light arrows.  I believe their stories, because it does happen.  What is missing is the number of wounded animals they have lost over the years which also happens.  I bet that rate is higher with light arrows.

I think it is safe to assume for this particular arguments sake that everyone tunes to the best of their abilities and sharpens to the same level.  So that part of the argument seems moot.  For each individual shooter with arrows tuned to their best ability and sharpened to their best ability the heavier arrow is going to penetrate further than the light one.

I find it makes more sense for me to shoot one arrow set up.  Since I hunt elk, bear, and deer, I like to use 10.5 gpp.  I have heavier arrows set up for future hunts in Africa and Oz.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
I know this is not archery  specific in answer .. But which would you rather be hunting Elk, Moose, Bear, or large deer  with [ yes I know your a bowhunter] if choosing to hunt with a Rifle??

In the event I hunted with a rifle, I would definately prefer 30-06 at 2700 fps with a 180 gn bullet over a 22-250 with 50 gns and  4000 fps?  

There is a good reason the P/H's used heavy/slow .450-.600 bore rifles in Africa... They penetrate.  Especially where thick hide and bone may become an issue.. 50gns. at 4000 blows up on the shoulder..

How many hunting shows have you seen with some guy shooting a whitetail with a compound that shows the deer running from the shot with 1/2 arrow sticking out on the entrance side? With his light arrow/high velocity set up ?

Over and over, we read successful posts here telling us how trad archers kill with a total pass thru, or at least full penetration, with arrows in the 10-12 gpp range [ vrs 6-8 ]    :readit:       :deadhorse:  

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Good post Oxnam, my thoughts exactly.I shoot a set-up simular to yours with good results. Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
WOW!!! It amazes me how technical some traditional bow hunters are!   :scared:

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I think if you shoot 8gr-10gr per pound of your bow Weight you will be fine with an arrow that is shooting like a laser. I don't see an advantage going to 12gr-15gr or more. This is for anything in the US.

How can you say a 480gr to 500gr arrow from a 50 pound bow not penetrate as good as a 600gr to 650gr arrow from the same bow.

Say what you want a well tuned arrow with in the recommended 8gr to 10th pet bow weight will do the gob jest fine thank you.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I think if you shoot 8gr-10gr per pound of your bow you will be fine with an arrow that is shooting like a laser. I don't see an advantage going to 12gr-15gr or moor. This is for anything in the US.

How can you say a 480gr to 500gr arrow from a 50 pound bow not penetrate as good as a 600gr to 650gr arrow from the same bow.

Say what you want a well tuned arrow with in the recommended 8gr to 10th pet bow weight will do the gob gets fine thank you.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Deer are pretty fragile.  Shoot what you can hit with  :bigsmyl:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I dont worry about it for the most point. I just do what Shawn's talking about. I get decent weight arrows and tune them to shoot well. After that penetration takes care of it's self.
Having said that I find most of my arrows come out about 9 to 10 grains per pound.
SL

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I have been shooting about 8.5 gpp out of my 52# longbow, and have in the last few days moved up to right at 10gpp. I lose a just a little speed but the bow is quieter and the arrows seem to fly a little better. I think I'm going to like the 10gpp.
Another issue that I haven't seen mentioned that I have been wondering about: Do heavier arrows shoot better in the wind? We have a lot of wind here in Oklahoma and it makes things a little tricky...what say ye?
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©