3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow help  (Read 166 times)

Offline 1hornhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow help
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I have a bbh longbow pulling 56 lbs at my draw length.  My arrows are 27" from the valley of the nock to the back of the point.  I recently tried wooden arrows and love them but they dont fly right.  They fishtail side to side.  They are Surewood shafts 55/60 spine with 3 5" feathers and 125 gr. field points.  My question is should I get some 50/55 spine or change points.  If I were to change points how much weight would difference?  Any help would be great.  Thanks

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Have you shot them bare shaft?  My first thought would be more weight on the tip.  that is a short arrow and your bow weight is at the bottom of the spine range.  That would make me think stiff. A heavier point will weaken the shaft.  I would recommend taking the fletching off of one and shooting it with the group.  If it flies to the right of the group the shaft is weak and needs a lighter point.  If it flies to the left it is stiff and needs a heavier point.  Others will give you more detailed info, but that would be a start.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
A lot of variables there, how long is the shaft, is the bow effiecient some bbh's are and others are dogs is my guess. I would play with length and point weight before ordering new shafts.
Shawn

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Depends on how close to center the bow is cut,on my BBO bow I went around 10# under in spine.Your arrows sound alittle stiff.Get the lighter spine and leave your arrows alittle longer and see how they fly.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
1hornhunter, are they 11/32 shafts? I have some 160 gr field points I can give you and see if that helps.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Lighter spine might be the way to go, but before trying that, raise your brace height a little.

Offline 1hornhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I just tried some 160 gr points and Broadheads. lpcjon2 thanks for the offer.  with the 160's they fly like darts.  Thanks.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Good to hear
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©