3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Ultra-EFOC Disadvantage  (Read 171 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Ultra-EFOC Disadvantage
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Moderate draw wt and moderately heavy Ultra-EFOC arrows are just plain hard on targets.

Set-up:
Bow: 51#@28” (28” actual)
Arrow: Victory HV 350… 6.7 gpi-29.5” arrow~400 up front ~615 gn-total - ~32.0% FOC (Note: 300 gn points and 300 gn Big Jim ‘Big 3’s”)

Both the Morrell Outdoor Range and the Rhinehart 18-1 BH target are recognized as among the elite targets.

When both targets were faced with my medium draw wt set-up both targets began to yield. My Morrell Outdoor Range seemed invincible until faced with this set-up.
It is still surviving and I am starting to shoot thru some now. I am confident that its longevity has been cut in half. My Rinehart 18-1 BH has been completely disintegrated in less than a month.

I am going to have to find a tougher and/or cheaper BH  tougher to handle this design in conjunction with the Big 3’s.  Must be a more significant issue for heavier poundage- heavier arrow Ultra-EFOC set-ups.

I still have no expectations of shooting thru a gob, however I believe he will sustain enough damage to be taking on water quickly.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Ultra-EFOC Disadvantage
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I would love to see a pic of a bird shish kabobed with that set-up! What a terrible price to pay, a set-up so devasting that it is detroying targets!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
It s a bummer on the target life end, but will be an advantage on the real hunting end.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I had a complete pass through on a merriam jake with my EFOC setup. Gold Tips 55/75 with 50gr brass insert and 4 blade 220gr phantom out of my 52lb predator recurve.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
I believe there is a point of diminishing returns though. It no doubt will be good turkey medicine but so would a 500 grain arrow out of that set-up with a sharp broadhead. I can't wait to see what it does to a bird. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
My set-up is specifically geared for turkeys since pursueing them is my passion.

If Big Jim's latest Osceola didn't even have a complete pass thru shooting 80#@30 and 780 grain arrow, I will not be expecting a pass thru. Devastation - Yes!

From my experience, turkeys are tough customers and are not to be underestimated.

Again as I have repeated my sincere belief several times in the past--

For gobs....Immobilization is key!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
If you concentrate on the gobblers eyeball,you willbe surprized how easy head shots become.LOL

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
A complete pass thru on a turkey is not necessarily what you are looking for. A shaft hanging out can be a good thing.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©