3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light and fast vs heavy and slow  (Read 361 times)

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Light and fast vs heavy and slow
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Sorry to beat a dead horse and start this debate again by i was wondering if my logic is sound. I have heard people say that they get more penetration with a light setup that is faster and prefer it to a heavier slower set-up, my question is it is almost unanomously agreed upon by bird hunters that steel shot does not penetrate nearly as good as lead of the same size and when u switch to steel you have to increase pellet weight and size to get the same knock down power.

Wouldnt this also hold true for arrows, a heavier arrow should penetrate far better than a lighter arrow.. Just food for thought.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light and fast vs heavy and slow
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Like deja vu, like deja vu.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I have never met a big game guide that recommends a light setup over a heavier one. Those are the guys to ask, because they ACTUALLY SEE a lot more actual penetration happenings than any of us would in our lifetimes.
I have had success with both, and am not offering an opinion here. I do prefer heavier, but dont push it on anyone.
I feel that if I ever hit bone, heavy muscle, tendon, etc....I'm a LOT LOT LOT more confident in a heavier setup.
I have friends who swear otherwise, and even if I could offer scientific proof I dont think it would change their minds.
David M. Conroy

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Double post

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
There are so many variables, dependent on so many factors.  
Do a search on here and there will be enough reading to keep you busy for days

There are a lot factors that come into play before you should even start worrying about arrow weight, speed ect
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I think we tend to worry too much about achieving the perfect set up.  There is no such thing.  Find a combination that works for you with your gear and learn to use it well.  That is the best answer.
ChuckC

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I prefer straight and accurate. If I can get that, then I can put a razor sharp broadhead exactly where it needs to go.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Just do as you want, do not worry about what everyone else does. There are so many telling everyone else what to shoot it gets confusing.

As long as you stay in the recommended arrow weight that most bowyers say (8gr to 10gr) for each pound of bow weight you will be fine. Have fun and enjoy.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I dont think this topic can be over discussed. It is one of the most important factors in  bow hunting and is the most neglected. Heavier arrows penetrate better. Period. I cant begin to tell you how many big buck skeletons I find and dead deer walking Ive seen, all from bow hunters using a 200 grain arrow with a 100 grain head from a 45 pound bow. You cant compromise everything and expect to make a clean kill!

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Drop a baseball and a bowling ball from 10' high they might hit the ground at the same time but which one penetrates the earth/soil deeper. It is only science/physics.
...Mark

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I prefer straight and accurate. If I can get that, then I can put a razor sharp broadhead exactly where it needs to go.
X2, Well said.   :thumbsup:
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Like deja vu, like deja vu.
on this one i can catch 100 % of what you mean !!!!!!!!

merci
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Brandon -- I personally believe you are right that a heavier arrow will penetrate better.  I understand that some people like the light arrow approach and I tried a light/fast arrow setup last year and did not like the results.  I have never had a penetration issue with a heavy arrow -- I have with a light arrow. The heavier arrow is quieter as well.  

BTW, are you going to Vanderpool?  Paul Vrana

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I chronographed some bows yeterday, its ironic this thread came up. I also tried different weight arrows, 49# bow 450 gr. arrow 183 fps. 650 gr. arrow 140 fps. same bow. That is a substantial loss in velocity and I would say penetration. If you are using a heavy arrow you should use a heavy bow. As others have said 9 to 10 gr. per # is about right and a 125 to 150 gr. head shoots just fine, efoc to me seems to lose rear arrow stability and it changes arrow spine.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michigan Mark:
Drop a baseball and a bowling ball from 10' high they might hit the ground at the same time but which one penetrates the earth/soil deeper. It is only science/physics.
Other than the objects are much closer in weight and not traveling the same speed.  It is like the comparison of a getting hit with a ping pong ball or a golf ball.  Not the best analogy.  I think everyone agrees that in general, the heavier arrow will get better penetration but there is a point of diminishing returns.  

Arrow weight is only one of many factors affecting penetration and a relatively poor indicator by itself.  These are some that come to mind:  the distribution of arrow weight (thanks Dr. Ashby), proper arrow flight, type of broadhead, sharpness of the broadhead, type of animal, target/animal tissue encountered, arrow speed, distance, movement of the animal,... (any others?)

I know we like to use gpp as a good guideline and there is a lot of proof to support those opinions, but it is really an irrelevant number in anticipating penetration.  If I had to build a formula to calculate penetration, I don't see how it could ever be included.

Offline wolfeyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Stay inside your range, keep your broad heads sharp and put your shots in the right place. That is what works.
Robin Hood. There is a name that has cost men many good arrows.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Nothing like science to prove a point!    :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Nothing like science to prove a point!     :)  
Now Don... this is archery and everyone knows the laws of physics do not apply..  :bigsmyl:
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Javi:

Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Nothing like science to prove a point!      :)  
Now Don... this is archery and everyone knows the laws of physics do not apply..   :bigsmyl:  [/b]
If they did, what would we talk about in the off season?   ;)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Fred Bear said 10 gpp worked for him and that's good enough for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©