3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Returning to traditional archery after 20 years....  (Read 308 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Returning to traditional archery after 20 years....
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Hello all....

I grew up shooting recurve bows with cedar arrows.  I had a variety of kid size fiberglass and wood bows ranging from 15-35 pounds then in the 1980's I shot a Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve.  I started bowhunting in 1993 and spent that season shooting the Bear Kodiak Magnum.  The following season I purchased a compound and have been shooting compounds since then.  

Over the last 5 years or so I have been itching to get back into traditional archery.  I loved shooting that old Bear Kodiak Magnum so I started looking around for one.  I was born in 1966 so I thought I'd like to find one made that year.  Well....finally it's happened.  I recently became the proud owner of a NEW TO ME 1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum.  It's a 52 inch model in 42 pounds at 28 inches.  I have a 25.5 inch draw length with it and on a  bow scale I am pulling 40 pounds if I anchor at the corner of my mouth which is what I intend to do.

Well....I guess that's long enough for an introduction.....it's time to start looking for that perfect arrow.  I've decided for now that I want to go with carbon arrows...at least until I am more comfortable with the bow....

Wish me luck!!

[/url] [/IMG]
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Returning to traditional archery after 20 years....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Good luck and welcome to the fire.any ? you have can be answered here by some of the most knowledgeable archers around.And they are pretty friendly too.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by archer66:
Hello all....

I grew up shooting recurve bows with cedar arrows.  I had a variety of kid size fiberglass and wood bows ranging from 15-35 pounds then in the 1980's I shot a Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve.  I started bowhunting in 1993 and spent that season shooting the Bear Kodiak Magnum.  The following season I purchased a compound and have been shooting compounds since then.  

Over the last 5 years or so I have been itching to get back into traditional archery.  I loved shooting that old Bear Kodiak Magnum so I started looking around for one.  I was born in 1966 so I thought I'd like to find one made that year.  Well....finally it's happened.  I recently became the proud owner of a NEW TO ME 1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum.  It's a 52 inch model in 42 pounds at 28 inches.  I have a 25.5 inch draw length with it and on a  bow scale I am pulling 40 pounds if I anchor at the corner of my mouth which is what I intend to do.

Well....I guess that's long enough for an introduction.....it's time to start looking for that perfect arrow.  I've decided for now that I want to go with carbon arrows...at least until I am more comfortable with the bow....

Wish me luck!!
I got one better. Your looking for bows made in 1966. Not too difficult. Try looking for serial #s with 1966 or 66. Its alot of work!
But I love it.
Welcome aboard and Good Luck........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Welcome!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by vintage-bears:

Hello all....

Wish me luck!!
I got one better. Your looking for bows made in 1966. Not too difficult. Try looking for serial #s with 1966 or 66. Its alot of work!
But I love it.
Welcome aboard and Good Luck........Philip [/b]
Lol....I got lucky there....here is the serial number of my bow...

6M4366
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Welcome and enjoy !!!!
" Live long and prosper "

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Welcome back from the dark side.  :wavey:
Larry

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
welcome back. FYI Its addicting and you are probably already hooked.   :laughing:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Welcome back!   :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
very cool good for you
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
se, you didn't need those training wheels afterall....welcome back....jackdaw
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
It was 37 years for me.  I kept all of my stuff from the 70's bows that is.  I let my red plaid baggies with the 2 inch cuffs go!  a couple of years ago my 13 y.o. sons got me back into it and the sincere and patient mentoring of a trad ambassador, John Dill.  Like it was meant to be.  We have embraced it with great passion, it is a family thing now with 10 y.o. daughter throwing down with her longbow as well.  Welcome back!
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by vintage-bears:

Hello all....

Wish me luck!!
But I love it.
Welcome aboard and Good Luck........Philip [/b]
Lol....I got lucky there....here is the serial number of my bow...

6M4366 [/b]
That is so funny. You managed to find a 66' ending in 66.
Me like!
Looks like your having fun already!
Hold on for the ride, this thing gets very addictive!.......Good for you and enjoy........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Welcome back!!

It really warms my heart to hear how it has become a family thing for you and yours.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Welcome back.  I came back from wheelies too.  I have found (for me) compounds are cold machines.  I never heard anyone say "wow that is a pretty bow."  It was just about winning and killing.  In trad I now see things I never saw before and I have and am learning some lessons from it. Wood is natural and so is hunting and not all about killing.  Sitting in Gods creation and watching the sun rise will keep me coming back if I never even see a deer.  Make no mistake one better not wonder too close.  Enjoy and take your kid.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:00 AM »
Welcome back and good luck!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
What Jim said!I kinda got that Kodiak Magnum itch myself.

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
JimL, Well said!  It is a good, wholesome way to go.  I am so pleased to have gotten back into it for my sake and the sake of my children and other youth we mentor. joe
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline Geo S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Good Luck! You'll have fun with the Magnum.

George

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Welcome Home!!  :goldtooth:    :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©