3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any other Hammock hangers out there?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any other Hammock hangers out there?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
If our weather ever changes I look forward to trying out my Hennessy.

I have put it up a time or two and even started to spend a night in it once while over at the farm.

I ran into trouble,,, for got how to tie it and after wallowing around in it for a few minutes it came untied a let me softly to the ground...lol

I humbly picked up my shoes and went over to the camper and crawled in...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I got one that balls up about the size of a softball that I use to use when I hunted places too far back in to come back out for lunch. I'd tie it between two trees, eat lunch and catch a little z's before the afternoon hunt.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Clark Jungle Hammock just came in the mail yesterday.  No time to mess with it yet.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Carl Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
I always wondered about the "sag".  I usually sleep on my side.

Would a side sleeper be uncomfortable in one of these for backcountry use?

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Hey Carl,

Check this out:
   hammock
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I'll be trying my new Hennesey out soon.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Carl Miller:
I always wondered about the "sag".  I usually sleep on my side.

Would a side sleeper be uncomfortable in one of these for backcountry use?
Nah - I like sleeping on my side in mine.  Side or back, you want a diagonal lay by you should be fine.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I slept In them in training during my army years.  I always carry a hammock, mosquito net, and Kelty tarp with 550 cord.   Half the size of a football & perfect in my neck of the woods until late October.  Weighs less than half of a hennessey hammock.  Probably not as comfortable.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I love my Hennessy Asym expedition. Lay down in it diagonally and the entire hammock flattens out.  Like sleeping on a cloud!

Discovered this winter that a half inflated Thermarest pad inside the hammock and under your sleeping bag  will keep you quite comfortable at temps. just above freezing. When you lay down in it, the pad folds up around you like a taco shell. Without the pad I find that I get quite cold even at relatively mild temps.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by dakota tim:
Hey Carl,

Check this out:
   hammock  
Thanks for posting !!  Great video and instruction. I was camping recently and I put up my hammock successfully however I like everything I just learned in this video! Gotta get some of those nylon straps !!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
There is a hammock forum too if you do a search.
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Could someone point me in the direction of a hammock for the...erm...'husky' guy?

I weigh right around 280 & most of the hammocks I've come across are rated for about ½ of me.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Rob Hennessy will handle you just fine.

Mine handles me and I am in great shape, as long as round is a shape..lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: Be sure to shop around, there are deals to be had that don't come directly from Hennessy Hammocks.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Whoop! Never mind  :D  Just had a mooch around on the Warbonnet site  :thumbsup:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Hennessy will sometimes have holiday sales where you can get a free Scout hammock (their smallest model) with the purchase of a full size one.  That's a remarkable deal that I took advantage of when I bought mine a year and a half ago.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Hey Rob,

I highly recommend a Warbonnet Black Bird.  I've got the 1.7 double layer.  With the double layer, you can put foam in between for insulation.  Also, the foot box is great.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
The WBBB is sort of the Cadillac of hammock options right now. Rob - I'm your size and you'd be fine in a ENO Doublenest as well.  There are other inexpensive options for us non-petite guys as well.

If you're looking at Warbonnet though, don't press the buy button until you've had a look at the Tree to Tree Switchback (you'd want the 1.9 oz double layer).  I don't own one of those yet (swinging an ENO DN) but one of these days, I just might.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Another Hennessy Hammock user here.  Works great in the late spring/summer/early fall for me, but as the temps drop down and the bugs go away I go back to my Go-Lite Tipi.

I've got a stove all set up for it, I just need to get off my duff and sew the stove jack into it (or rather, have Frassettor's wife show me how to sew it in).  

I know some guys can hammock camp in the winter, but I just can't do it - too much weight eaten up in insulation, and my downmat sleeps just as good as my bed at home.  

I was thinking about upgrading to a WBBB, but I need to go check out that T2T Switchback.  I love options!
Support the sport!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I bought a Hennessy a few years back, thinking it would be great for elk hunting. for me I found it had pros and cons.
Easy to set up. compact, fairly light. Thats about it as far as pro's, IMO.

Getting in and out of a sleeping bag inside it is like tryint to get toothpaste back inthe tube. No matter how tight I strung it, I could not get a good nights sleep in it. If you are a back sleeper, you're probably fine, but I sleep on my side, and it was very uncomfortable. I woke up tired, stiff and sore.
If I had to get up inth night to pee, repeat the process of getting in and out of the bag.

Its been collecting dust in my gear closet ever since. If anyone wants it, I'll give you a good deal on it.

I've since switchedto a Kifaru Paratipi. Lighter, more room, bombproof, and has a wood stove if it gets cold.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Just got home from a kayak float trip with my daughter using HH's and loved it. Slept like a baby. Actually I can't imagine sitting up a tent where we ended up camping at nights due to river rocks.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©