3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Usery Park in Mesa, Az  (Read 205 times)

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Usery Park in Mesa, Az
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Wow had a blast today. Finally had 2 minutes to myself while visiting a friend in Mesa and stopped by the archery range at Usery Park. What a fantastic place. After warming up on the close targets I went for a walk on the course thru the desert. With quail, chipmunks/squirrels, and even a roadrunner the course was rather exciting. The flowers on the cactus' are starting to bloom with vibrant colors. Some of the ranges ventured out to 65-70 yards but I would walk up to the 30 yard line and shoot 1 or 2 times, move forward a bit, shoot again, until I reached the 10 yard area. Since this was only my 2nd time shooting my new Voodoostik, the bulls-eye was quite safe at 30 yards. As I got toward the end of the course most if not all 10 yard shots were decent and close to the center, 15-20 were respectable for a 2nd time, and even the 30 yard shots I was gaining confidence. Still a long way to go and form to work on but it sure felt good to get out and have some fun! Thanks again for the bow Charlie!
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Offline highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Usery Park in Mesa, Az
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Shooting in the desert is so cool, sounds of different birds, plants are GREEN! Flowers are out.  Not like up here.  Looking out the window right now, snowing. More to come, 12-16" and I might join you down there. My kid just made some new arrows and is biting the bit to shoot them.
 Is the range still across the road from the gun range?  There was talk a few years back they were going to move it.

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Beauty is the making one of opposites.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Sounds nice,glad you had a blast.I remember how green the desert was last year from all the rain,pretty amazing.Im going to have to get out there on sat. Yes,highcountry its still across from the gun range.
Beauty is the making one of opposites.

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Sorry hadn't checked this post Highcountry. Yes it is across from the gun range as Manny said. One of the best archery ranges I have shot at. Even the cactus have flowers that look awesome..

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Offline JoeArizona

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
That sounds like a great place to shoot.  Don't have any opportunities for formal shooting like that up here in Kingman. Do like to take advantage of all the open desert up here though.
Nice post, reminds me I need to get out soon!

Joe
Joe

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them...then beat them!"

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Wow, my folks live in Mesa.  Can't wait to visit the place.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Nice place to shoot. On the other side of town is the Ben Avery range which is also a good place to shoot. If you get up to Prescott you have to check out our range. It is The GMA (granite mountain archers) Check out the web site and get the schedule for this years 3-d shoots. Great place to shoot when it gets too hot in the desert.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
2nd vote for Ben Avery, never shot in Mesa.  I moved from AZ in early '09 and that range (other than the weather) is what I miss most...
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
We need one like that in Tucson. We are supposed to be getting one down here... will have to wait and see. Ben avery and Usery are both nice.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
I have not been to Ben Avery but I will check it out the next time I am up.. I am all for getting out of the heat as well... we come up to hike around the granite dells in Prescott from time to time... will have to pack the bow!

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©