3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow spine question  (Read 193 times)

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow spine question
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I think I know what the answer will be, but I want to ask anyway.

My recurve is 50#, and I have 60-65 spined arrows cut to 30" with 125g tips. These arrows were shooting nicely with this bow.

If I get a bow that is 40-45#, do you think these arrows will still work, or will I need lighter arrows?

I ask because I want to know if I should sell the arrows with the bow, or keep them to use still.

I think the answer will be, you will just have to wait and shoot them to see, but anyway...Thanks for the help.
~Brock

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow spine question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
You just never know with wood shafts, but I would say they will be too stiff. It depends on how much the new bow is center-cut.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I would think you are underspined for a 50# recurve with arrows that length. Did you shoot them with broadheads? The arrows may well work with the lighter bow if it's also a recurve, especially if it has a skinny low-stretch string, and you can always add point weight to compensate if needed.

My 40# Archery Traditions Patriot TD recurve shoots 60-65# shafts cut to 28 1/2" just fine, with 160 g. broadheads.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
keep them, you can add more head weight to compensate or build the side plate in or out on the new bow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I have only shot field points on them. The new bow will probably be a white wolf custom longbow, which are cut past center. I was thinking if I put a heavier tip on them, I should be fine, since I will want the heavier overall weight for deer this fall.
~Brock

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
If you go with a 45 lb bow im betting they will be fine at that length . If not all you have to do is go up a little on point weight which would be alot less than buying new arrows .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I think Don Stokes is right on the money.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Sometimes I've sent along a few arrows that I thought worked particularly well with a bow I've sold, but who knows if they'll work that well for the next guy?  Arrows are a very personal thing.  If they don't work well with your new bow, they'll probably work fine for some other bow you'll get on down the line, or some friend's bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Herder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Here is a spine-calculator for wooden arrows
(for carbon arrows too)

http://www.bogenblog.de/index.php?/pages/spine-rechner.html
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I think the odds are that the arrows would work better for your new bow, than thinking that they'd work for the guy that buys you current bow.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©