3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow length ad performance  (Read 244 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
bow length ad performance
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
This is a topic that has puzzled me for sometime. And now as I contemplate buying a new longbow, I am even more confused.

I am told a lower AMO bow will give me better performance for my DL (26"). My question is, does that mean the draw weight will feel heavier. So a  58" longbow 40# vs. a 64" longbow #40  would give me a faster arrow but pull the same?

What is the advantage of a longer bow then, I see some competitive shooter with bows that are almost at their height? What's the formula here?
Thanks
K

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow length ad performance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I've found the longer bows are smoother to draw if both bow's limbs are made out of the same material. They're more stable too which means for me, it allows me to put the arrow where I want the arrow to hit on a target. With a shorter bow, I'm not as accurate. For me, short bows are "touchier" because of my 30" draw length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Longer bows are also easier to get a cleaner release for those of us with fat-n-numb fingers. Anything less than 60" and I start getting many more "flyers".
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I have been shooting 66" bows for a long time, about 9mos. ago I decided to go a little shorter to a 62" Fedora. At first it was not too much of a change but I noticed my tab fingers were hurting. The more I shot it the more they hurt. Being I have thick fingers I went back to my 66" bow and never looked back. It does all the things already described plus it does not hurt. I'll take a easier to pull, smoother draw, and a better release over efficency by using a shorter bow any day of the week. I draw 27".

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
There is a trend towards shorter bows; probably to make us buy more bows! LOL.
Design is everything and a longer bow will perform better unless you are shooting in a confined space.
# is # and will feel the same if it is the same#.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Generally shorter limbs are faster but you fingers are pinched at full draw making the set up more inaccurate to most.

Long limbs are heavier (slower) but without the finger pinch you generally get a better release.  Thus more accurate.  

Now for the tricky Zen part...   People shoot what they like the best, or at least they think they do.  So everything now goes out the window.  

Most bowyers suggest you purchase 3 bows of different lengths  :)

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Go to a major shoot, and try them for yourself with an open mind. I don't like bows over 60", and prefer 56" or 58". I don't find longer bows to be smoother or more accurate, just more awkward to hunt with. Different Strokes.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Watching some of the competitive Longbow shooters on MBB, I noticed they shoot longer bows (Larry Yien and Trish Ferrera both seem to be holding bows that come to their full height. I wonder if that is a pattern among Target Longbow shooters.
Thanks
K

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
HVYhitter stated it without saying why.  Think of string angle at full draw between a short and long bow.  You have more string on your fingers with a short bow.  Making a smooth release much more of a problem.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by 7 Lakes:
Generally shorter limbs are faster but you fingers are pinched at full draw making the set up more inaccurate to most.

Long limbs are heavier (slower) but without the finger pinch you generally get a better release.  Thus more accurate.  

Now for the tricky Zen part...   People shoot what they like the best, or at least they think they do.  So everything now goes out the window.  

Most bowyers suggest you purchase 3 bows of different lengths   :)  
That would be short limbs on a long riser right? That was the reasoning behind Palmer recurves being pretty fast. I keep reading threads on this topic and find that limb/string recovery are a factor in bigger numbers. I wonder... is there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to limb length?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
A longer bow is smoother and will have less finger pinch. But if you are hunting from a tree stand or blind then the shorter bow can be easier to use in those situations. 62"+ for me.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
everything being said is true,but one more factor,limb design.
One bowyer to the next is different,i have shot 56 inch bow ,pulling back to 29 inches with no pinch or stack,while another bow kills my fingers,best thing to do is go to a good shoot with vendors and shoot them all.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©