3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Embarrassed  (Read 568 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Embarrassed
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Yesterday my son and I had a chance to stump shoot together.  I decided to carry my "Girly bow" and as we shot he continued to drill everything while I struggled with holding the little bow still.  When we got home he looked at me and said, "Do you think you will ever be "that" old that you need to shoot a bow that light?"  I realized years agao that I had created a beast when I kept moving my son up in weight but now he's shooting a 92# longbow just like I shoot my 80# bow.  So the little 62# bow goes back up on the "old man" rack until I need to use it!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Embarrassed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Relative. Favor heavier draws also. Too many good things if you can shoot w/o physical problems. 55# can kill anything in N America. Think a fellow Texan killed a polar bear w/45# (archives).
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pork1980

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
80 & 92#.....?.......   :biglaugh:

Made me laugh longbowman.
I just started shooting & was happy I could handle the 50#'er dad gave me.

Glad you got out to shoot with your son...
good times   :)  

I see you're from Meadville, I'll send you a PM...
good to see another local trad guy.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Pork, we all start low.  I started with similar weight as you even though my compounds were 80+#.  Now I'm very comfortable with bows in the 70's.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I'm at the opposite end of where you are and I started at the end too.

I started bowhunting when I was 14 years old. I'm now 61 years old so that encompasses 47 years. During all this time the heaviest bow, a recurve, I ever bowhunted with came in at 44#.

My first bow, another recurve, I took a deer with was a 36# target bow with white limbs when I was 16 years old. A pass through broadside shot with a 2 blade broadhead which took out both lungs.

If you look at my signature, the two recurve bows I bowhunt with now are 42# and 37#. I'm very accurate with these two bows and they don't take a toll on my shoulders. These two reasons are why I love my "very light" bows.

Of course, I used a very heavy arrow setup shooting 13 GPP arrows and above for both bows, but this year, I'm dropping down in GPP which you can see in my signature since I'm going to bowhunt with my light 2212 aluminum target arrows. Even though the 2212s are light in weight at 8.8 GPI, they're heavy enough GPP wise and that is due to my 30" draw length shooting 32" BOP arrows.  

I will tell you right now, I could "not" draw your 62# "girly" bow to my anchor. I doubt I could draw it 20" of my 30" draw length.

Since you're presently shooting an 80# bow, there might come a time where you will have to go down in poundage. "If" that time ever comes, you'll learn to shoot your 62# bow and it just may surprise you in terms of what you and it can do together.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Um, um um...

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Embarrassed.  I guess I should go hide behind a tree with my 40# longbow, LOL

BUT, it did take a nice 7 point last year and a doe using a wood arrow with a stone head the year before.  The deer are the one's that should be embarrassed letting an old guy kill them with a light bow.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
62#!!  Man, I'm already too old to shoot that weight.  :(
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
My heart bleeds for you and my shoulders ache as well.  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I shoot 90lbs. Just like the old west, two 45"s.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I use extreme girly bows.   :bigsmyl:

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Makes my 50# look like a toy.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I shoot what my joints allow
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
hockey pucks....

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
Embarrassed.  I guess I should go hide behind a tree with my 40# longbow, LOL
I was thinking the same thing about my draw weight after reading that but, hey, they work for me.

My son draws 72# and he is constantly giving the old man a hard time.  :laughing:
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I always keep a heavier bow than my keeper bows to stay in shape. I do not want to lose the muscle needed to continue shooting my hunting weight range. The older you get the tougher it becomes though. In my younger years I could be reckless but now I have to be more thoughtful of physical activity. Hats off to the heavy weights!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I have never been able to master the drawing of a heavier bow.  I'm on the other side of middle-age and I know there will never be an opportunity for me to hunt something so large/powerful that it would require that type of weight.  But, for those of you who can and do you have my respect and admiration.  It just took me awhile to realize my limitations and stay within them.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
My girly bow loves shooting aganist manly bows,the heavier the better.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I was shooting 80# back 20 years ago but back then I was more into speed & being the he-man that I now know I'm not.
Now I'm very happy shooting 45-55# bows & I'm not quite in the retirement home yet.  ;)
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Who stoked the heavydraw macho debate? Don't care. Hunt ethically with what makes you happy. The more ethicallier (new word) the better.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©