3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU has landed, impressions......  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
KUIU has landed, impressions......
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Just tried on the KUIU that arrived today. Thought I might give you a run down if you are thinking of ordering.

First I am 5'9'' and about 190 right now. For comparison the Sitka gear 90% pants and jacket fit me just about perfect in large. Roomy enough to wear a thick vest under the jacket. Pants were roomy also.

KUIU
Merino:
I got all 4 merino layers in Large, pants in neutral, tops in camo. They are all high quality and fit well. The lighter merino is not scratchy at all, the heavier a little scratchy.

Pants: I got 34 and they are true to size, I can wear both merinos under them and they will fit better when I lose a few lbs. Pants are very high quality, the fabric is tough but stretchy, kind of a cross betwee the Sitka 90% and the lighter Sitka pants in thickness, but tougher. Good button front and good pockets.

Guide jacket in Large: Cut a little long past the waist particularly in the back which is good and a little long in the sleeves which looks like it has an area where you could have them altered if you need to. Fine for me. It is a bit snug in the shoulders and upper arms and although I can wear both merinos under it I would be unable to wear a vest until I lose some more weight. It is slimmer than the Sitka 90% large jacket. It is cut slim through the arms with no velcro closures which I like. May have to return it for an extra large and have the sleeves altered. The hood is very nice. This jacket looks as if it will break the wind better than the sitka 90%.

Merino beannie; Very light weight, stretches well.

Merino neck gaitor: Very light weight, stretchy for pulling up over your face for camo.

KUIU  beannie: I have a big head and although the Sitka beannie fit me perfect this one is way too small and does not stretch very much, I would think it might fit a 7&1/4 or so. Got to send it back.

This gear is top notch and I think you will like it if you get a good fit. It is an athletic fit and if I weighed what I should I think it would be about perfect.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU has landed, impressions......
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
What kind of businman would name a product with three vowels in a row.  I can't pronounce the product.  AND that's coming from a guy who's last name begins with three consonants.

Szmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Impressions.....hmmmm let me think:

AWESOME!!

Pair of attack pants and they are absolutely fantastic. Fit me perfect. Feel great.

the FedEx man just dropped them off 10 minutes ago and I am wearing them (and my camo hat) to my mother in laws!

Everything was top notch: service, packaging (the best I have ever seen with mail order clothing), and exceeded my expectations.

Thanks KUIU!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Yep! Got mine also! Same for me, the beanie is to tight! Sending mine back as well. Everything else is perfect!!

Rusty
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback Gang!  Keep them coming! KUIU is committed to their customers.

Bowmania, it's KOO-YOO.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
I have not recieved any of my order yet. However, yesterday I recieved a call from KUIU's customer service b/c they were questioning my address, and they wanted to make sure that I recieved my "goodies".
We got the address "issue" straightened out, great customer service by the way, now I am anxiously waiting. Hopefully it arrives before Tues the 12th b/c I will be out of town. It would be pure torture if the "goodies" were sitting at my house while I was out of town!!!

chris <><

Offline vwvectors

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Where are KUIU products made, it says North America on the website but that could be Nicaraqua or Nebraska.

Inquiring minds would like to know?
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Vancouver, B.C.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin!

vwvectors,
Here's a link to the blog.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/inside-vancouver-production/

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Got mine in today too.  This stuff is super quality and the pattern is awesome.  The fabric feels great as does the merino.  The jacket has to go back.  I got a large and it feels like a medium across the shoulders and arms. Tight.  The pants are true to size, but I'd say if you're on the upper half of sizing then order up.  I'm probably going to send the base layer back too and go up one size in each.  No problem at all with the beanie or gaiter.  

I should have stuck with my original one size up strategy but the blog mentioned sized for layering so I figured I'd be good.  Not so!  Definitely not a bdu style fit.  Much slimmer.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
I guess I ordered too much to fill yet because my order has not even shipped. I am really eager to get the clothing and try it on. I hope the two guide jackets I ordered fit me. The Sitka 90% jacket fits me perfectly, and that is the sizing I was expecting. I may have to go to an XL if the jacket is running small. But if lots of other guys are having the same problem, I may be out of luck in getting an exchange.

Molson, how are you built and what do you weigh? I know what Carlton looks like, so I know how to compare myself to him. I am 6'1" and 190 pounds with my upper body being somewhat slimmer than my lower body and with hips and shoulders that are wider than average, but I'm not overweight either. I wear large in just about everything, except t-shirts that I like to feel baggy.

Carlton, do you think the large guide jacket will fit me well? I got one in the brown and one in the camo, so I really want them to work well for me. I also got at least one of EVERYTHING Kuiu is offering except the belt, and two of several items.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Alan I think it will probably fit you. Only question is how much you could wear under it. I ordered the Spindrift jacket and I don't think I have room for it under the Guide jacket.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
as I was told Koo U and Nicaraqua is in central America

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
This is the first time I've purchased high end clothing except for Filson. I got the attack pants. Camo does look better than in the pics. I almost ordered the charcoal instead. They fit good but the material doesn't seem very tough and durable but I guess we'll see. Wish the cargo pockets were bigger.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by vwvectors:
Where are KUIU products made, it says North America on the website but that could be Nicaraqua or Nebraska.

Inquiring minds would like to know?
I just read on another site that some of the fabrics are made in Japan.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Carlton,

I need to be able to layer up under the Guide jacket, so if the large is not big enough, I might have to send it back and try the XL even though it would probably be big on me. The fit of the Sitka gear jackets is excellent for me. I can layer the various vests and the Kelvin Primaloft jacket under either the 90% or the Celcius jacket with no problem. I need to be able to do that with the Spindrift jacket under the Guide jacket too or I will have a problem making the clothing work for me.

I don't have a problem with whether the fabric used in the Attack pants will be sturdy enough. I saw the fabric and I have enough experience with other somewhat similar pants to know that those materials are much tougher than they first appear. I basically live in Marmot Scree pants on a daily basis. They are thinner than the Attack pants and still wear like iron. My jeans are hanging in the closet feeling neglected. The Attack pants will be darn tough and durable. I expect I will really like the features and fit too, but first mine need to be shipped. I have ordered both the Charcoal and the Vias camo because both of them look so good, and the charcoal can be used for daily wear.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Allan
Check PM

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Oh boy...  the goodies are in hand and evaluations are being made....  Lets see where all this goes after season....

Fabric from Japan, assembeled in BC?
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
KUIU products are assembled at Tamoda Apparel, a premier cut and sew house located in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The materials for the Spindrift series are from PrimaLoft, a company based in Albany, New York.

The caps are designed and made by Ouray Sportswear based in Englewood, Colorado.

The Merino materials are from TMC "The Merino Company" based in New Zealand.

The primeflex fabrics used in the Chugach, Attack pants and Guide series are from Toray, based in Osaka, Japan

For further details please check the KUIU blog.  There is a years worth of detailed information composed by Jason.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/

Thank you!

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
They clearly say on the website that the soft-shell fabric is from Japan, the wool fabric is from a company in NZ, and I think it is all made in Canada, and the company headquarters in CA.  I didn't see any China anywhere.  :D

Got 185 baselayer, merino beanie and neck gaiter bout 1 hour ago.  I'm 5'9" and about 190, and L fit pretty good.  It is cut pretty long with almost too much slack in the pants and sleeves, but will be great for folks around 6'.  Very light and felt good on.  Will be great in the warm early season. Beanie fit fine (merino).  The neck gaiter was really tight though.  It stretches and I'm gonna work on stretching it out, but that was the only thing that I wasn't very impressed with.  

Sticking with the outer layers I have!  Gotta pay for a new bow.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©