3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU has landed, impressions......  (Read 1345 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU has landed, impressions......
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Love mine....won'r get to test it anytime soon as it's hot here in TX. Maybe the pants? Ordered the neck gaiter and bean as well.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
My guide jacket came today.  First impression, well made, slim cut.  I got a medium and I am 5'7" muscular build.  Still room for thermals, er I mean base layers   ;)   , and a vest.  The medium brown color was more like a taupe to my eye, which I like better anyway.  I feel there are 2 faults, it is not as quiet as I would like for tree stand hunting on those very quiet days and the pocket zippers open by pulling down.  I have found that pocket zippers built this way can work their way open.  I will definitely keep this jacket as I plan to wear around town, cold weather/windy running,  and for rifle hunting.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Oh man, i am two weeks from getting back home to see the stuff i ordered.  You guys are killing me.  Keep it up.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I see mine has shipped!! Just in time for a little turkey action!!!

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
I got mine today. Beanie, gator, 185 and 250 merino base layers and a pair of attack pants. Everything fits perfect and I am very impressed with the construction of the pant as compared to the sitka ascent pant. I had a pair of ascents blow out the crotch in less than a month. These pants have what I guess you call a gusseted crotch, there is no single seam down the middle between the legs.

The only thing I wonder about is how quite is the Chugach Jacket? If its anything like these pants I definitely want one.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Holly Smokes guys, this is good stuff! I received my first order at the office when I returned from vacation Monday(4/11/11) but did not try them on until last night (Weds the 13th). I received the Attack pants and jacket. The fit is unbelievable...spot on for me a 36 waist and Large based the KUIU size chart. Finally, high end hunting clothes that are top quality and made to fit North Americans. I'll admit I was very skeptical about KUIU and all that was being said about them but am converting to a true fan...from their ability to bring out clothes that are built for us North American hunters and the quality of the material used. While I have not put it to use yet, I am confident it will perform as what you read on their web site! Great Job KUIU! Can't wait to get the rain gear and Marino beanie and neck gator which are on the way...and when they are in the pack frame and 3000 pack which I also ordered!  I am an ASAT camo person but I really like the KUIU pattern too.  Can't wait to see how it works in the field. As I recall, one of the unique benefits of this Attack fabric is it does attract and hold burrs something in my part of Michigan are everywhere and a pain in the rear!
If you have been sitting on the fence, I would encourage you to order and then see what you think once you see, touch and try it on.  I think you’ll be impressed.  I thought for sure I’d be sending my stuff back but I am keeping it!

SteveC
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Chappell:
Holly Smokes guys, this is good stuff!
SteveC
I thought you'd like it Steve      ;)  

I know a lot were sceptical because hardly anyone had ever seen this clothing. Most of the time when "new stuff" hits the market, the "hype" is just that, "hype"!  

But that's not the case with KUIU!

When you blend experience, top notch manufacturing, state of the art materials, and great feedback from guys that "walk the walk"...you end up with something like KUIU....and this is just the dawn of the KUIU experience      :campfire:  

A lot of great gear on the horizon....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Dude, I can't believe how good this stuff fits and the quility is awesome. This is my 1st set of "HIGH TECH" gear but I can honestly say i am impressed.Thanks to KUIU for making affordable quality hunting gear.           Thanks Again, Phil

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I received the attack pants & lightweight merino top today. I like the material, the camo seems better than the pics.
The merino has no flaws that I can see, I really like it.

I like most of the features on the pants, I still dont think they are long enough for me. I am not that fond of the cut in them either. I wish the legs were more tapered, they are too wide on the bottoms of the legs for my tastes. Overall, the quality seems top notch. I think I will keep them as I can be overly picky on stuff & I know nothings perfect. I can always sell them down the road if I have to.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Nice stuff.  Is the Spindrift Jacket avaiable yet?
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Yes, I have the spindrift. Very impressed! The fit is great, light weight and packed with warmth. Fit's nicely under my chugach jacket.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I like the pattern, cut, fit, and quality of the items I bought, the Attack pants, Merino 250 top, Spindrift Jacket, and Guide Jacket, it is well made.  The Marino wool and Spindrift are very good and I highly recommend them.  However, the noise level of the Attack Pants and Guide Jacket are much louder then my Sitka gear.  My tolerance for quietness might be higher then others, but I rate quietness by asking the following question:  Would I attempt stalking a spring bear while wearing them or take them off for the stalk?  With these pants and jacket, I would take them off and wear their Marino wool base layer for the stalk.

I will keep them and see if they quite down some after being broken in, but if they do not, I will not purchase any other outer garments made with this material.  

A question for those who bought the Chugach Pants and or Jacket, are they quiet?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Walt, The attack and Guide will both quiet down with washing and use bud.

The proto-type stuff I've been wearing came to me after another field tester used them for a while. They were/are very soft and very quiet. So I was a bit surprized by the new garments I recieved as well. Not as soft and quiet...

But I know with a couple washings and a little used they will be just like the older clothing I've been wearing. Jason even commeneted on this in the blog...

So anyone else with this concern...wash and wear and they will be softer and much quieter in no time at all   :thumbsup:  

I used my stuff last winter to kill two deer...one in low teens with no wind at all from 12yds. We all know how sound travels in conditions like those!

The ultimate test came with other in TX also at about 12yds...on the jumpiest, noise concious, paranoid deer on the planet!

I drew on both with no problems at all...

The Chugach is rain gear, so it is a bit noisier...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Limbow or Guru,

How quiet or noisy is the spindrift jacket?

Doug

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
The Spindrift jacket is noisy under the Chugach coat. I would think when I get my Guide jacket it will be quieter as the guide jacket has a fleece backing. If not, not sure what I will do with it. I have a mountain hardwear coat that is identical to the spindrift as far as the outer material and primaloft insulation. Last bow season I just wore a wool sweater over the coat.

Walt,

The chugach pant and jacket are above my quiet tolerance as well. It is a hard shell material. I spoke to KUIU customer service about it and they explained all the technical attributes which are astounding, no doubt. They told me that the guide jacket would be much quieter, especially after a "break in" period. I have asked myself how "quiet" does rain gear have to be with stick and string while hunting in the rain? It's hard to say.
Not sure I am going to keep the Cuhugach set up yet, I will wait and see how the guide/attack gear is. I have never owned Sitka or even tried it on for that matter so I am unable to comment.

Guru--Can you comment on the chugach series? Have you hunted in it either in or out of the rain?

Love the camo pattern though!!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Does Jason shoot a stick bow?  Oh, I should of asked a fitting  question. What would be good to pack out my 700+ lb. bull elk this fall?   :bigsmyl:

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Doug,
My Spindrift is noisy by itself but quiets down under the Guide Jacket.  Actually, the Guide Jacket quieted down a little with the Spindrift under it.

Curt,
I am hoping it quiets down after some use and washing.  I bought my Sitka when it first came out and it took half of an elk season before the noise got down to tolerable levels.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
clothing seems nice, but im not big on the pattern, dont really like it. still like the sitka camo better.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I am impressed with the guide jacket and attack pants. Also really like the lighter merino wool. The guide and the attack are a little noisy but i figured they would be somewhat noisy. The spindrift on the other hand seemed noisier than I could live with and I didnt think it would quiet down enough for me to use even with wear and washings. I sent it back but kept the guide jacket and pants.
I think they will quiet down after some use and washings. Sizing on all was spot on for me, Steve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by limbow:

Guru--Can you comment on the chugach series? Have you hunted in it either in or out of the rain?

Love the camo pattern though!!
Kevin,  I wore the Chugach for the first time this past Saturday. Took my godson and his dad out for the opening of our youth hunt(he killed a 3 1/2yr old beauty).

It is def. noisier than the Attack or Guide, but remember it's rain gear. When you wear it, it'll probably be raining, so your surroundings will be noisy as well.

The quality and the material is outstanding though as far ar keeping you dry...second to none...
Best raingear I've personally ever worn!
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©