3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder surgery  (Read 760 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder surgery
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
OK guys and gals, I go under the knife June 29th. I am gonna shoot my brains out the next week. I have a new Vortex coming from RER bows and it is a light one(47#s), the doctor told me to send my money for the Muzzy shoot, I will be shooting he says and in the liongbow class no less  :bigsmyl:  !! If I cannot shoot I will be there to root Curt and others on!! 3 months before I am at full strength so my son-in-law(Damon-Nomad88 on here) is gonna have to hang about 60-70 stands for me this year, I think I will let him hunt one or two. Wish this pig-headed individual luck!! Have Fun!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Best Wishes.......JD
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Might as well get it over with in the Summer, Shawn.  That way, you'll be healed and finished with rehab before the hunting season is in full swing.  Hang in there and get a  low poundage bow to help you transition back to full strength.
Good Luck!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Get R Done Shawn! I'm sure you'll be back up and shootin in no time. But don't push it! Take your time.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Do it right and heal up fast, Shawn. 47 pounds is just right for me, in case you are looking for a place to keep temptation out of reach...  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Joe and i wish you a speedy recovery, we still want to hook up before deer season rolls around.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Good luck with your surgery. A big Texas prayer will be sent your way. Don't wear out your son in law hanging those stands. He just might not make your stands as secure as his. You could end up hurting the other shoulder.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
I will do as told for a change, like my wife said"if you were not worried about hunting, you would never get it done!" She is right, if worse came to worst I would hunt lefty, I did that before and killed one of my best bucks ever! Thanks folks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Best of luck Shawn.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Best wishes and that Vortex will be a good "rehab" bow.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Shawn, Best wishes and good luck on your surgery. Thats 3 that will be on the mend. Linc on the 21st for his back, me on the 26th for my hip (finally) and you on the 29th.

You'll be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!!!!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Good luck Shawn. Hap

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
What my buddy Lee said.   :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Listen to your PT after and you'll be fine. The shoulder will feel brand new, mine does,
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Hi Shawn,

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery as well. Had a Arthoscopic Subacromial Decompression done on Feb. 7th of this year. Basically they removed my Bersa, shaved some bone material out of the socket that houses the Bersa, and removed some bone spur's that were cutting into a tendon.

I only had to wear a sling for a couple of weeks and started P/T 5 days post-op. I went to P/T 3x per week x 5 weeks, then transitioned to a home P/T program. I'm still doing my home Therepy.

My Dr. released me after my 90 day post-op visit saying I had good stregnth and full range of motion in that arm and should be able to pull a 45# bow now.

I had informed all the medical folk's involved in my case (none of whom were very familiar with archery) from day 1, that my primary objective for getting the surgery was to shoot my bows again (which I hadn't been able to do since Aug. of 2000).

Currently I can pull my 45# bows back a couple of times but it hurts me to do so. So I bought a 25# recurve that I'm conditionong w/ now, and I'll work my way back a little at a time. I was getting discouraged when I heard of folks shooting their normal weight bows just a few weeks after surgery etc.. But I realize my body needs more time to heal so I'm not rushing it. I'd love to Bow hunt this fall, but if I'm not ready then so be it.

Do as the Dr.'s and Therapists say, but more importantly, listen to what your body is telling you and don't rush the process. They only know how you are supposed to be feeling, not how you actually feel.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

YB

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Best of Luck to ya Shawn
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Bill, my surgery is not very intrusive at all. I have a slight tear in my rotator and a piece of my labrum broke off and they will get that out and smooth the spur. My doctor said I will be out of my sling by Monday(3 days after surgery) I will be able to drive, type on a key board and start therapy within a week. By 3 weeks I should be able to do most things, but no lifting or pulling heavy weight, but 20#s will be possible. I am supposed to be back at full strentgh in two months and able to shoot my bows within 6 weeks, if all goes well. Thanks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Wasn't sure exactly what you were having done Shawn, but that sounds like a plan to me  :thumbsup:    :D  

All the best!!!

YB

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Good luck Shawn and speedy recovery!
I'll tell Ru about it, I'm sure he can relate. He had two shoulder surgeries in may of '06 and all he worried about was weather he'd be able to make The JLMBHunt. Can't thank you enough about that.
Aram

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Aram, you two make the hunt special. How long before he could shoot his bow again?  Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©