3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching...compound to all traditional  (Read 856 times)

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching...compound to all traditional
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I am wanting to switch from shooting compounds to all traditional. I have been shooting a friends longbow for quit a while now and have become obsessed with it. My problem is I cant seem to bring myself to sell my compound to fund myself a new longbow. It's just so easy for me to take the compound out and hit whatever I intend to. It's just not as enjoyable as the stickbow. I haven't even shot the compound since deer season.

I guess what I'm asking is what are some things that u guys did to overcome the transition to all traditional?
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching...compound to all traditional
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
I sold my compound right away so I had nothing to fall back to. That has been 13 years ago, and I never got the temptation to go back to the wheels. (I can't stand to even look at one of those machines anymore)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
just make the leap! you will be very happy you did.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Buy a cheap but usable bow off of E-B#y. You seriously can get a decent bow to hunt deer with for $90-$120. Buy some blemished arrows cheap, 4 bales of straw (so arrows don't pass through), a glove or tab and start shooting!

You can get started for about $200 total. Lots of us put in way more cash than that, but it isn't necessary.

I never shot compound, but I got a friend of mine set up for a little less than $200 total.

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Look at your compound and then tell me it is pretty.  It is ugly and nothing but a machine.  Look at some of the bows these guys have and tell me if they aren't some of the most beautiful things you have ever seen.  They are works of art.  Why be seen with an ugly thing like that when you can be with the prettiest.  Didn't you say it was more fun shooting the long bow?  Why are you shooting?  I shot a compound to win and kill.  That isn't all the reason I shoot trad.  Getting to talk with these outstanding folks on this site is reason enough. How's that?  Did that help?
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
GO FOR IT , SELL IT and buy a bow you really want to get, that way when you have her you know you made the right choice...I did , I sold the whole ball of wax and dont regret it a schosh...now I am obsessed with all the beautiful Longbows out there, Take a look at Toelke's stuff or any reputable boyer the boys here on Trad Gang recommend.  Use these guys for all their worth (which is alot)and just go for it!!! Life is short. Now shooting is both FUN and Challenging...like it is supposed to be!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
I just sold both my Mathews bows and have never looked back. (NO REGRETS)
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
I'm the same as Shedrock.I can't stand to even look at Machines anymore.I think its the compound attitude and everything associated with them,from the manufactures to the people using them and their attitudes.When I go out shooting its just me and the bow,no excuses,no tools,so simple .The way archery has been for thousands of years.
We have it easy,we don't have to defend our families or have to shoot anything to live like our foefathers.Think about it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
One thing to remember, the longer you keep it the less you will be able to get out of it.

Thats the reason I sold my business out before leaving MO.

You spend tons of $$$$ each year to keep the latest and greatest on hand. Once the new line comes out the equipment you have on hand are worth a heck of a lot less that what you paid for it.

The trad bows I bought or made several years ago are still holding their value.

Troy

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
When I made the switch to compounds over 15 years ago, I said when it stopped being fun that I would return to the stick and string… (I have a difficult time calling it Traditional, because I grew up knowing it only as archery) that time came late last year and I immediately sold all my compound equipment and used the money to buy wooden bows… no more gadgets just me and the feel of a wooden bow.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
"I guess what I'm asking is what are some things that u guys did to overcome the transition to all traditional?"

Have fun. That will keep you headed where you want to be (trad or not). Challenge is fun. Trad is challenge. This hunting site is a great catharsis of folks many who switched just like you, me included.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
On the flip side, you can always buy a new set of training wheels should you decide traditional isn't for you.
My money goes with the stick and string.
There is nothing like it, I've never looked back.
Like was posted here before, the machine is doing nothing but depreciating.
Wood, glass, craftsmanship is art.
Good luck on your journey.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
It was easy for me. You will have to decide that one for yourself. Its a "personal thing" that only you can answer. Good luck with your transition, keep us informed.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Keep doing what you are for now. Save money as you can. Just tell your friend, that "friends don`t let friends shoot compounds"  :D  

Before long, there will be no interest in the compound bow. Eventually, the dust layer on the compound will be permanent.

I don`t think a used compound bow brings much at re-sale, so even if you do sell it now, you`ll still need some extra funds.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I kept my compound, I was really proud of it and how I shot it. BUT
I swiched to trad (longbow) and will never go back unless I have no choice.
The Ulta-Tec is so heavy and just does not feel at home in the wood like my Kanati and I kill just as many deer.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Do What I did. Tied a string to it and it is now my boat anchor.  Only regret I had was that I did not get rid of it earlier.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Spookeytooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I was given an old PSE F2 compund earlier this year. I have always had recurves, and until recently longbows. I looked up what a new string setup would cost... well lets just say that bow will NOT be getting a new string. When it is no longer usable,to the garbage it goes. The bow depreciated soooo much since 98' it would cost more to have the thing tuned than the bow is WORTH ! wheelbows suck, stick and string is the way for me.
"I don't claim to know everything; I just know a lot about nothing"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Ky Stickshooter, same boat here. I haven't picked up my compound since last year.  I won't sell mine because it has some good memories and it is an 06 (I didn't chase the insane yearly compound racket).  I will let people borrow it.

It does suck a bit that 2 buddies of mine who just started compound can outshoot me, and you can't easily reach out and nail stuff at 45 yards.  They are also threatening to buy me a fringed, beaded jacket to complete my look.  :D  

My big negative is where I hunt it is already difficult to kill deer with a compound because of low deer density and super spooky deer, so now I've got a real challenge on my hands.

BUT, I'm having fun and love it, and I can feel the stress leaving with each shot, so I'm fully addicted.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I to haven't made the complete switch but rarely do I touch my compound. Just bought a Black Widow SA II and a Foley Longbow. I'm addicted and know it won't be long before I go completely Trad.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
when I made the switch years ago I sold the newest Jennings at that time and a matching 3D tournament bow at a yard sale to fund my first longbow.......it hurt for about two days, and after that, I have never looked back.......  :archer2:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©