3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How early will they gobble?...Hunt Update + big surprise  (Read 320 times)

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
How early will they gobble?...Hunt Update + big surprise
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I've been lurking on and off for the last three or so years, and have really learned a lot from you guys. Im pretty much a rookie, so i haven't posted very often, because i dont feel like i have much to add. I feel that this post may help other hunters in a similar situation.

Im 21, junior in college, and haven't had many good opportunities at getting a turkey. The turkeys always seem to be on the other side of the fence.

Anyway, tonight i heard one gobble, but it was near the edge of my property. Here's where the doubt enters my mind.

Last week (youth season) the same thing happened, so my little brother and I went out expecting to go after the tom i had roosted. As soon as i got out of the truck i heard a gobble from the opposite direction.

Heres my first question.

Will the turkeys move at night?

I had walked through that area the evening before, within 150 yards, and the turkeys weren't there.

Heres my second and main question.

How early before they fly down will they respond to a locator call?

I think there are two groups of turkeys on the place. I roosted group 1 tonight, but i feel because of their location my odds aren't great. If Group 2 is where they were last week i feel i have a better chance. Last week they were separated by about a half mile.

My plan is to try to find group 2 in the morning, i couldn't find them tonight. If they are where they were last week i might have a good chance at getting one. But if i cant find them will there be enough time to hustle back over to group 1, before they fly down? (about a half mile)

Third Question.

Is a goose call a good locator?

Last week i heard a tom gobble after a goose honked. Im decent on a goose call, but can also do a owl hoot with my mouth. My owl hoot didn't seem to work last week, so should i get out the goose call?

In any case I plan to wake early, and tromp about with a recurve in one hand and a ghillie suit in the other, and just have fun it the wild.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a rookie.

Re: How early will they gobble?...Hunt Update + big surprise
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
i had one move on me one night in a storm, must have blown him out of the tree,he was a hundred yards away from where i watched him fly up the night before.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Must have been a rough night for him.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
First off, we are all rookies at first. Asking questions & life experiences are we learn.
Turkeys will move during the night if spooked. Like all wild animals they will do what they want when they want. Generally they will be in the area you rousted them the night before.
Locator calls are never a given. Something will get a Tom to gobble one day & the next day nothing. Try the goose first then move on to owl or even a gobble if no response. You never know what will spark them off. I know guys who moo like cows & get a good response.
They usually gobble early enough for you to get from group 1 to 2 if you have to. The best thing you can do is find where they are strutting and get there before them. They will show up in thier strut zone at some point. If you are there & set up well you will have a chance.
Good luck & keep us informed of how it is going.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Sometimes I hunt near a large lake. I always have a single reed duck call in my vest. Dont over use it but as soon as there is any light in the sky I blow it a few times.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Will the turkeys move at night? Yes, if spooked.  I think you are correct and have two or more gobblers in the area.

How early before they fly down will they respond to a locator call?  They will gobble whenever they feel like it.  Many times they respond by what is called a shock gobble, could be a horn, gun shot, owl or thunder.  Personally I would not rely/use a locator call.  If you have a good setup, go with it.  I always enjoy and listen to the world wakeup.  It is great to hear lots of gobbling in the morning.  If you have what you think is a good setup go there.  If you can try to give a few very soft purrs and clucks.  I would try this about try this about 15 minutes before fly down.  Keep it soft, almost were you would think they could not hear it.  A turkey can hear very well.  If they respond back don’t get too excited. I would try not to call any more, they will know where you are.  Then about 5 min before down you can give some soft yelps.  Wait a few min and try a fly down cackle and a short series of yelps.  If you have had any response try not to call any more and get ready, they will be hunting you down.

That does not happen for me very often, most of the time they will have a few hens with them for a few hours.  Do not give up and leave early.  You best chance is between 0900 and 2 p.m.  
Go out be safe, have fun and I hope to see a picture.

Arthur

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Update

When I got out there he was gobbling. I thought I got out there early enough, I was wrong. He flew done when I was about 300 yards away. But he was coming down a narrow field right toward me. My decoys were going to be placed perfectly. I looked out in the field at where I was going to put my decoys, and there were 2 hens. Shoot now what? I didnt want to spook them, so I set up on this side of the field. Which is across a very small creek (no water) and about 20 yds of thin woods.  He saw the hens before he saw my decoys, and headed toward them. He was within a hundred yards. I called and he saw my decoys, but I think he didn't like my Jake. After he saw the Jake he only gobbled a few more times, and took the hens away from me.

Well it was a fun morning. I consider it a success. The last couple of years i didnt even see one on my property. Always tomorrow morning, and tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks for your replies, I'll take your advice into tomorrow morning.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
double post

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Went out this morning, but tom was gobbling on the other side of the fence. Tried to coax him over, without success.

I was walking back to the truck and something seemed out of place. I looked down next to where i just stepped.

(first try at posting a pic)

It scared the crap out of me. When i first saw it i thought it was a monster copperhead, but i think it is just a bull snake. I walked around him to get a better look at him, he realized he was spotted and reared up like a rattler, and started hissing. He made his impression, so i just left him alone.

He is laying in the grass between the ruts from a road. When i first saw him the tip of his tail was just on the inside of the right rut, his head was out of the left rut. He was as long as a truck is wide. I thought about killing him and taking his skin for a bow, or maybe cresting a few arrows, but i let him be.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
in my area they start gobbling around 5:30 area on the other side of the hill  I hunt.  i give a few calls until he gets fired up then im done. just sit back and relax . if I do decide to call ill call every 20 min.  most of the time they show up within a half hr
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
WOW!!!  Tough lookin snake, he would make some pretty cool lookin limbs!!

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
GOOD INFO,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©