3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Weight Pack-In Foods  (Read 959 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Weight Pack-In Foods
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I've done some searches and found some threads that have some info but I would like to hear from some of you that pack in and hunt.

Everything will be on my back.....

I am interested in foods that can be acquired from local stores not just the pre-packed stuff (Mountain House, MRE's, etc.). There is a COSTCO in the town I land. I would need food for three days at a time...also now that stoves are not allowed on most airlines what do you cook with and what do you take for fires and fire starter (I'm going to and area that can really dump some rain, Kauai).

There is tons of stuff on line but I'm interested in your thoughts.....
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Weight Pack-In Foods
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
You can get heat tabs from a military surplus store or on line. They are great for heating up a canteen cup of Ramin noodles(10 for a buck at any grocery store and they weigh nothing). MRE and LERP(long range patrol meals) meals are great The lERP meals have a better choice of foods and are bigger portioned.Fritos are great for snacking and the oil allows you to light the chip and start a fire with it.Granola bars,Tuna(can eat out of the can)a few candy bars for the sugar energy,small spam or small caned meats that are pre cooked,BIG bag of beef jerky.Dont get to crazy with dehydrated meals for the fact you have to have a lot of water for them.Oh and military surplus stores carry emergency water packs(they are small and great for the emergent situation)Try Coleman military surplus . com for some of the items I listed.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Oh and fire starters would be the magnesium stick.And waterproof matches from the hardware store,Strike on anything type.If you cant get them I can and send them to you.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
For three day trips, there are lots of good options that don't involve freeze-dried.

I eat a lot of rice and couscous in the field. Couscous is great because it is even lighter and absorbs more water than rice and it only takes five minutes once the water is hot. I doctor up the rice or couscous base with: those packets of tuna, salmon, etc or slices of salami or summer sausge, chunks of cheese, or rehydrated beans, peas, carrots etc (careful with the rehydrated veggies, your gut needs to adapt to them slowly). I often just bring a couple fresh veggies on short trips (a red bell pepper is pretty easy to pack in for a night or two).

For other meals, instant oatmeal, some sort of coffee powder, bagels on short trips (Pilot bread on longer ones), more summer sausage and cheese for lunches, peanut butter or jam is another option (on short trips), and tons of snacks (dried fruit and nut mixes, bars, chocolate, crackers, etc. I like to graze on snacks throughout the day while in the backcountry.

Stove-fuel shipping problem: I just spent a month in Patagonia and rather than deal with the airlines, I just bought a stove down there. In hindsight, I wish I had just stuck a brand new little "pocket rocket" style stove in my checked bag and then bought the fuel down there. If you don't want to buy one locally, consider shipping your cooking gear in a USPS flat rate box in advance and then buy your fuel locally.

Another option is maybe a kindly Hawaiian on this site will lend you a stove for three days? Never know with all the friendly folks in these parts.  

You could also buy sterno cans locally in lieu of a stove or just bring a stainless pot and plan on a fire, but that is more of a survival exercise than fun in a really wet or really dry place.

I take a flint/magnesium sparker as an emergency fire starter in my checked luggage and then buy cheap lighters at my destination.

Check out the new ultralight weight sil-nylon tarps, they pack down to nothing and do a good job in the rain.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Oops, double post... oh well, I will use the space to add, I always like to look in local markets for good backpacker friendly options... never know what new delicacy you will find in a funny little local market.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Here is what I have settled on for daily meals after bivy hunting sice 1998.

1/2 cup of trail mix made from pistacchios and craisens plus some M&Ms.

2 chocolate chip chewy granola bars.

2 packages of oatmeal cooked in the bag.  Just add 1/2 cup hot water and stir.

2 coffee bags.

Lipton rice or pasta meals.  These can be cooked in the bag by adding a cup of boiling water and using your clip from your hydration bag to hold it shut for 10 minutes or so.  They have plenty of calories, between 500 and 600, and cost about $1.50.

8 oz tuna in oil.

1/4 lb venison jerky.

I also carry a jar (plastic) of peanut butter and have 3-4 tbsp per day.

I have a pocket rocket stove and just carry a titanium cup, no pot needed.  No dishes to wash.  Burn the remains of the packages and then recover the stuff that doesn't burn and pack it out.

This is $5-$6 and 1.5-1.75 pounds per day.  Somewhere between 2500 and 3000 calories.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
you can buy fuel canisters almost everywhere.  If you find out there isn't a fuel canister source, buy a stove that can use white gas like a MSR whisperlite
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Thank you

Tracks did you pick your stuff up at the post office? Will they hold it for you?

"If you don't want to buy one locally, consider shipping your cooking gear in a USPS flat rate box in advance and then buy your fuel locally.

________

lpcjon2, I never would have thought of this in a million years  :)

"Fritos are great for snacking and the oil allows you to light the chip and start a fire with it."

_________

John, I think everything on your list will be available on the Island...simple I like it.

The statement below is from the Hawaiian Airlines site, that why I asked about cooking methods.

"Camping StovesHawaiian Airlines does not accept new or used camping stoves or any camping device which may have contained a flammable liquid fuel or other dangerous material in either checked or carry-on baggage.

In addition, Hawaiian Airlines does not accept new or used fuel or gasoline canisters, whether cleaned or not, in either checked or carry-on baggage.

Hawaiian Airlines also will not accept warmers either as carry-on or checked baggage. If you are a known shipper and are permitted to ship hazardous materials, Hawaiian Airlines will accept camping stoves through its cargo facility.                      

We will accept your unused camping stove through our cargo facility if you are (1) a known shipper and (2) permitted to transport hazardous materials. If so, please contact are Cargo Facility for more information at 1-877-HA-CARGO (422-2746). For your information on packaging instructions, labeling, etc., visit our Cargo page on our website: Quick Links, Programs, and then Cargo."
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Great site, and some cool designs that are proven. I carry a little side burner and my ti stove and a little bottle of methyl hydrate (drugstore alcohol works in a pinch). Everything needed can be purchased at most convenience stores and gas stations anywhere.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
COOL SITE  :)

Thank you Daz...

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian but I play one in the kitchen while cooking for my vegetarian wife.     ;)     Since that's a daily occurrence, I've had to do some serious investigation of foodstuffs.  Along the way I've discovered quinoa. It's a grain-like product cultivated for several thousand years in South America.

It keeps for an incredibly long time. It cooks in about fifteen minutes with boiling water. (I haven't tried at high altitude yet, but that's its home environment.) Take a look at this for nutritional content and then put it alongside any grain, rice or pasta you care to compare:  Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Quinoa

It takes very well to south-of-the-border spices and flavors. (Combined with sweet potato, black beans and chipotles in adobo sauce, it makes a veggie burger that would have all of you fellow carnivores asking for seconds.)

I also like oatmeal for breakfast when backpacking or just eating out of the back of my vehicle at o'dark hundred. It packs light and is long-lasting, through-the-morning nutrition.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Kip, I sent you a PM with some info. I'd check out Wood gas Stoves. They are about the size of a large soup can, and only weigh 6 or 7 oz. The beauty of them is they burn small twigs and sticks that will be all around. Here's a link for an idea on them. Might be a problem if everything is soaked though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq3FeciMfEc&feature=related  

If you want to buy Alcohol when you get there  Trangia is a good stove. I have a cook-stand to set mine in to hold a pot/cup and it works well.

For sleeping a hammock might be good. I think I remember a thread about Hawaii hunting and the guy was using a hammock. The ground was rocky and not flat. Something with a mosquito netting for sure, like a Hennessey.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I've not been hitting it for three days at a time, but like to go out dark to dark plus have a nice meal around miday.  If you have a food dehydrator, you can make some great stuff yourself.  Dehydrate a package of frozen mixed vegetables and boil it with some home made jerky for lunch.  

Not that much Help I'm sure, but might work for you.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:03:00 AM »
Zen Stoves is an excellent source.  I have made and used a few stoves but like the simple Lenny Stove the best.  You can make one ahead of time and not put any fuel in it.  Or can make one when you get there.  Boils a cup of water no no time.  By the way, i have 7 commercially available stoves, some of the best in my opinion and still use the alcohol stoves on a regular basis.  

Also, for food.  Check out "Freezer bag cooking.com"    

I think its called trailcooking.com  now.  They have dozens of homemade receipts for what you are looking for.  Most everything is prepared ahead of time in a freezer type ziplock bag.  All you do it add boiling water and let rest.  When you are done you throw away the bag and you have no clean up.  i use this style on many of my backpacking trips and when i travel abroad.  Most everything i buy is available from the local grocery stores.  

Good luck and let us know what you do.  Love to hear others experiences.     Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Breakfast- homemade granola, powdered milk, and a scoop of protein powder in a baggie. Add water, shake, and instant breakfast. Hot or cold.

Lunch/snack- homemade trail mix, homemade power bars or Larabar. Jerky. Pemmican bars(homemade). Dried fruit. Small packets of honey, almond butter or peanut butter.

Dinner- For longer trips, I use FD meals. Alternatives can be any of the above, as well as some of the easy to heat box meals available in stores, with some added dehyrated meats. Personally, I prefer to stay away from the highly processed stuff as I dont normally eat that stuff anyway, but sometimes for backcountry eating you haveto make some compromises.

A Nesbit stove with fuel tabs is a good option for a stove as well.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
I just found powdered eggs "OvaEasy" by Nutrium LLC in Lacy WA. 1-360-413-7269
I tried them this morning and they were great.
The next thing to try is to cook them in a freezer bag in boiling water so there are no dishs to clean up
Tim

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Great ideas!!

My sleeping is a hammock Danny just got my Clark NX250 can't wait to try it out (still in the box)..

I've never heard of Quinoa but I'll check it out... Jack the Zen site is great I went to it and banged out a crude Pepsi can stove not anywhere near perfect but wanted to see how it worked.....Cool!!!

John I like the protein powder in the granola idea. What a powerhouse breakfast!!

Thank you this is great stuff  :)

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I agree with  Autumn Archers suggestions.    Our backcountry trips are 3-7 days in length. However, we take stock so our food is much more elaborate. (dutch ovens, fresh food, I even bake bread on summer trips etc)  However after 2-3 days our fresh food is exhausted and we eat like a backpacker.  So....

My big suggestion is PROTEIN.  Its easy to carb out when going light weight.  Unfortunately that will leave you feeling like crap. We chase elk in very rugged terrain and I have noticed diet is crucial as well as fitness.  With out preaching too hard on nutrition...try to get Protein, Fat, and Carbs in every meal. Google Crossfit and look up their suggestions on the Zone diet for performance.  The summary is "eat like a cave man".    

Breakfast:
1)Oatmeal(carb) with (protein) powder and nuts (fat).
2)Dried fruit (c) protein bar (p) nuts (f)
3) My Favorite:  Oil a pan and toast (sort of fry) a split bagel.  Mix up some powdered eggs.  Oil pan liberally and fry eggs.  FRIED EGG Sandwich!  oil,carb, and protein.  I like to add powdered cheese for flavor or fresh cheese if we still have some.  Thats a breakfast that sticks to the ribs.  

Lunch.
Standard is: (Any) Nut butter on bagel.  Summer sausage or protien bar. Hand full of nuts.  Bag of trail mix.  Dried fruit.  

We eat half of the above at 10 and the other at 2.

Dinner:  You want to make it very easy because usually you are so tired.. cooking is last thing you want to do!

We buy or make dehydrated ground beef.  Buy Lipton or equivilant noodle or rice meals. (Parmesan is our favorite)  They cook in about ten minutes and are $1.50 versus $6 for dehydrated meals. We use a pin to prick them while packing and roll out the air in packaging.  You add a little extra water and ground beef and canola oil and you get the magic three.  Dessert is usually a fruit bar or candy bar.  After several days afield... snickers tastes like gourmet!

Jeff

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
PS.  I forgot to mention stoves.  I would look into a bushcooker if you can't use a gas stove.  However... I would order or send a gas stove ahead to pick up while there.  The newer generation light weight isobutane canisters and stoves are very nice.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I like the Protein/Carb/Fat idea and the protein power and dehydrated meat are perfect.

Jeff I've never tried dehydrating Ground Elk maybe I'll give that a try with your Lipton. I've got lots of time to experiment and thanks to you folks some new things to try   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©