3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Weight Pack-In Foods  (Read 958 times)

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Weight Pack-In Foods
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
There are a number of cookbooks on Amazon, etc. about making your own backpacking food.  Some of that stuff is really good and a fraction of the storebought price.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I eat basically a Paleo diet. I do not eat any grains, icluding rice, no pasta etc. no dairy.
My regular diet consists of meat,lots of it, veggies and fruit, nuts, seeds etc.

The trouble I have in preparing lightwieght backpackin meals is all the FD stuff is loaded with either pasta or rice. The other problem with them is they are loaded with chemicals, preservatives, and soy.

I can deal with adding some grain products in, but Im concerned with my insides revolting on me.

My search to find Paleo friendly foods is pretty tough. Since Ive eliminated all processed foods, grains etc from my diet, I feel 100% better. More energy, losing weight, stronger etc. Its well worth it to me.

I'll be packing plenty of dried fruits for carbs, probably make up some packets of dehydrated veggies. Protein is tougher, lots of jerky, pemmican etc. I try to keep my calorie/wgt. ratio at 100calories/ounce. Tuna and salmon pouches dont quite cut it, but if you add in some olive oil it helps.

Jasons Nut Butters make small single serving squeeze pouches of almond butter and in several flavors. Honey stingers are good too.

We're shooting for 2500-3500 calories a day.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Get your hands on a book called The Backpack Gormet. The authors last name is Yaffee. You will never eat better in the backcountry.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Some things ive tested and used were:

- damper:
mix 4 coups flour, 1/2 tsp salt; add 2 tbsp. oil and rub in, add 1 1/2 cups reconstituted milk powder and mix till firm dough; form round and flat (ap. 1-2") love; bake ontop of not to hot embers on a griddle (you can make one out of green sticks) until done, alternatively, if you have sandy ground make a fire and let it burn down, put the embers aside, dig into the hot sand place the loaf there, hot sand and embers on top.
About half an hour is good, then dig out and brush the sand of. works pretty good.

- bannock:
4 cups flour (or potatoe flour)
2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tspp salt
1 tsp sugar

bit of oil

mix everything except the oil up, add water till thick smooth batter like light cream;

heat the oil in a skillet, pour in 1" of batter, place on hot coals; after 5-7 minutes skip it over, another 5-7 minutes and it should be good, check if done.

Sounds like work and time intensive but if you decide beforehand what kind of bread you like just prepare the dry mixture and make it in the evening at the camp fire, probably after having youre meal. Youll have fresh bread for the nxt day and it is done really easy.

a ready made dry mixture for pancakes is also easily made out of eggpowder, milkowder flour and a bit of salt and then just needs some water and a pan and voila theres youre breakfast.

Some mor ideas:
If you like noodles, take small ones that arent holoow, saves time while cooking and packing space.

when cooking rice without time pressure,take 1 part rice two parts water, just let it boil for 30 seconds, place a lit on top and wrap the pot with clothes/blanket/sleeping bag (CAREFULL NOT TO MELT ANY SYNTHETIC FABRICS!) after 20-30 minutes youre rice is done and you have saved fuel or can use the stove for something different meanwhile.

If water is scarce, teflon coated pans and pots pay off as you dont need water for cleaning, one piece of toilet paper or some long grasses are enough for wiping it out;

I love instant broth for it is great as a hot drink in very cold nights and can be used to season all dishes.

If you like fish, get youre hands on some stockfish. makes for really good stews and soups and has alot of protein.

hope that might help a little
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I'm loving this thread!

I'm a fan of sandwiches for a quick snack when I'm hunting.  But instead of packing in bread to camp and having it either get squashed or wet, I buy flour tortillas.  There's so much you can do with em, they're nearly indestructible, don't take up much space and you can buy em anywhere.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Always carry some Coco Wheats hot cereal. Weighs nothing, deeply satisfying, and high in energy. Do not go to the woods without it.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Wow been on a bell to bell at work... Great stuff, I'm paying attention .... Autumnarcher hopefully lots of meat is part of the plan but it's stiil called hunting ..... Stone Sheep just found Backpack Gormet on line (less than $10), sound interesting...  

Thank you and keep it coming  :thumbsup:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
If you are only going in for three days, no need to bother with cooking meals.

Make a big supply of good jerky, make a custom trail mix with almonds, cashews, raisins, and add some dried fruit. Throw in a tin or three of sardines or kippered herring and your set for three days easy, with lots of energy.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
If you're going three days in cold weather you will want some thing hot at the beginning and end of the day. A cold can of slimy fish first thing in the morning is pretty bleak.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
bigbadjon-------I don't think he has to worry much about cold weather. He is going to Kauai. It's paradise!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
You're right Rik it is paradise  :)  

I'm still interested in what others do for cooking and food stuffs for backpack trips. I may use them for a fall hunt and that is a whole different can of beans. Colder temps and more days in country... I really appreciate all the contributions so far. I hope to put this to use for more than just Kauai. I am also hoping   :pray:  to puts some fresh meat in the pot  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I really like the Lipton rice with some pre packaged chicken, tuna or salmon in them.  The rice comes in a lot of flavors so I don't get bored eating the same thing over and over.  For breakfast I eat oatmeal (also comes in a variety of flavors).  I sometimes pack in frozen bagels for the first day or two.  Lunches are crackers, gorp and a candy bar.  Pretty simple menus but they agree with me and they are light in weight.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
For a stove option the Zen works great,  As stated above you can use alcohol...  

Another trick i learned is to heat up some vasoline and soak some cotton balls the put them in a bag.  you can use it as lip balm then take a cotton ball out an lite it, as its pure patroleum...

Another option is to do a search on soda can stoves,  I have never used one but they seem like they would work just fine as long as you dont get to crazey in elevation...

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I used to be more elaborate, but when I hunt till dark in Sept.-Oct. I want something quick.  Now I'm fond of "Dave Canterbury casserole".  A six pack of ramen noodles is $1 at the dollar store and weighs nothing.  Tear up some beef jerky in it and you've got a meal in a few minutes.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
From my backpackin days; The mac&cheese in a box, taken out of the box.  Noodles in a ziplock, throw in the cheese sauce packet, some oil in a plastic bottle, a packet of cooked ham (the kind like tuna is in), a couple of dehydrated morels and you've got dinner.  Breakfast mix up a bag of quick oats, powdered milk, raisins, cranberries, etc and some powdered protein, pour in some hot water and you're golden till lunch.
Those single cup coffee packets(like tea bags)for the morning and when you get back in the evening.  Pretty darn good!
A large bag of homemade trailmix will last more than a few days.  Granola, Nuts, Dried Fruit, and some good ole M&M's.
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Instead of the coffee bags, I have becomne very fond of the Via instant coffee from Starbucks--really does not taste like instant and less mess than the soggy coffee bags.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm a couple pages behind your follow up question, so sorry about that, but the answer is you can ship to "Your Name, General Delivery, Any US City, State, ZIP" I suggest putting the date you will pick the package up on the outside so the postmaster knows what to expect... you may want to call the post office ahead of time to give them the heads up it is coming.
Disclaimer: While I have done this a lot, I have only done it in Alaska and sometimes things work a little different up here!  

The other option would be to ship to a hotel or other place of business that you know you will be visiting anyway.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
This is a great thread!I'm learning all sorts of good stuff to use.    :campfire:      :archer2:     Coaster500, good luck on your hunt in Paradise!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
OK, I'm getting ready for a trip to the Boundry Waters for some canoeing with the Boy Scouts. We went on our first shake down this past weekend. You folks are giving me some good ideas! Thanks!

A light dinner consisted of canned chicken and Zatarain's Jambalya! What a great meal. I also made Corn bread in a pan. The meal cost $2.50 a person. It het the spot.

You can live good in the woods! Keep the ideas coming.

Martin

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
Don't forget Idahoans and starbucks instant coffee.

No more Zatarian"s Jambalya for me.....kept my sleeping bag warm all night though  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©