3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I dissapointed my daughter.....  (Read 2769 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
I dissapointed my daughter.....
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
I had promised my 10 year old daughter I would make her a bow.  I bought a stave from J. Scrifes and have spent numerous hours sanding, and shaping.  Last night I was in the process of tillering it to closely match the weight of her little brothers Critter Gitter.  I had been measuring with an arrow/clothes pin and had it to within 3lbs.  As I was about to put it away for the night, on my last test, the top limb seperated at the belly.  The stave had a snakey lower limb and I was trying to make the top belly match the bottom, I guess I took too much out.  I knew I was in for it this morning when I broke the bad news.  All she said was, I guess you better get a new one and start over...she is pretty diplomatic for her age.  This was my first ever attempt, and I guess I'll be starting over, and she will have to wait a bit longer.
I'll have to re-read many of the build alongs here to figure out what to do differently, maybe have to back the next one.  Thanks for reading and suggestions are welcome!!!
Dave     :banghead:
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I dissapointed my daughter.....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
That is too bad... but her response did make me laugh  :D

Looks like you better start chasing another ring!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Get a nice straight-grained ash or oak board, bandsaw it to 7/16ths thick. glue on a handle piece. cut it to 3/4 wide and 1-1/4 deep at the handle, 1-1/4 wide at the fades, straight taper to 3/8ths wide at the nocks. cut the nocks, tiller as needed by sanding and you will be ready for varnish. Very little tillering needed with a straight taper on the sides and uniform thickness (pyramid style).

Pretty hard to fail with this design. In light weights, edge grain is fine, as long as the grain doesn't run out badly.

Reparrowman
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Well at least she is giving you a second chance. LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
David , we have short pieces and kid size staves that we save here for just this type of situation , if you pick up the shipping I would be happy to help bail you out. Nice to get a second chance.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Dave,
  Following along with Jims instructions, here's a link to Mickeys
web page for building a    Youth Bow

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
My daughters would have said "Dad, please call Dano"

:D

Offline alpo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I know how that feels, I took my son (8 yrs old) to bow building course at a local club & he made his own bow over the span of about 5 weeks, with him actually doing about 70% of the work.  The one night as he slept i thought i could adda handle wrap for him... didn't have to test shoot it....but for some reason I did...and KER-POW!...I learned why the compound guys say bow-building is the most labour intensive way to make kindling.
Take 2 for safety.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Kids  DO  say the Darndest Things, and they arent One Bit Afraid to say them either!!  :thumbsup:   That is a Good One!!  YA GOTTA LOVE 'EM!!   :archer:    :jumper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Ted,
Thanks for your generous offer, I have just recieved an email from John Scrifes, and he will be sending me a new stave, and WILL NOT accept any type of payment.  I wanted to pay him for shipping, and his time invested, he wouldn't allow it.  The other one was worked way more than I thought it would be, (I certainly appreciated it, cause I had no clue how to get it to that point).  Thanks John...
I was sorry I missed the White Elephant exchange, and do have a few items in mind to pass along.
I would also like to offer one item to the first to reply that would like it.  I don't collect many books, I just buy them, read them a few times and try to pass them along.  Many of you may have this book, but I would like to offer it to someone that doesn't.  I believe the title is
Outdoor Life's 100 greatest tales.  It came with a subscription some years ago.  If someone would like it, please PM with address and I will send it on.
Thanks again,
Dave
53# @ 28"

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
lv2bowhunt,
got your pm, I will send it out next week, it won't cost much to send it to GR.  I'll cover the shipping, no problem.
Dave
53# @ 28"

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
what weight bow will she shoot, i just might have one she can use, snake skin and all

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
loyd,
she is mighty small for her age, weighs about 65 lbs....
she can shoot her little brothers critter gitter comfortably.  It is 22# @ 22 inches.  

She would be pumped about a snakeskin bow- like mine.  Have you got something for sale in that range, and how much would you need to part with it?
My indoor traditional shoots are on Monday nights, and was looking forward to taking the little peelers with me.  If I could procur a replacement, it would give me some time to work with the new stave- and not rush things....
let me know what you have available and how much if you would like to sell it.  Just as another thought,, if you have "loaner" in mind, I don't know how comfortable I would be with that, kids are kids and mine are pretty darn good, but I would be way too worried something bad would happen....as things can and do occasionally.
Thanks for the post and will check back in a couple hours when I get home.
Dave
53# @ 28"

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Great , sounds like she is taken care of .What a great group of guys, nice to see in this day and age.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
My daughters would have said "Dad, please call Dano"

:D  
Kids know!  ;)
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
I want to just say again, the members here are GREAT!  Loyd has just pm'd and will be sending out a kids bow for Emily.  We will take good care of it and will post when she outgrows it to pass it along to another.  I will also post pics of her shooting.  Thanks Loyd, and what a great group of guys/gals.
Dave
53# @ 28"

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by DRR324:
... I guess you better get a new one and start over...
Hehe!  So, she's 10, going on 30?   ;)   I think you've got a gem of a daughter, David.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Dave,  That's a very understanding little girl you have, we can all take a lesson from her.  It also has alot to say about her up bringing.... Great job.  Best of luck!

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
dave i have Emilys bow ready along with some arrows for it. will get it on the way. hope it works out for her. loyd

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
loyd,
to say she is excited would be a understatement...  can't wait to get some pics of her shooting to post for everyone.  Thank you again, and look forward to passing it along when the time comes, and experiencing the same feelings you have by sharing it with us....
Dave
53# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©