3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dorado vs Buffalo????  (Read 613 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dorado vs Buffalo????
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
For you guys who shoot these types of bows can you enlighten me in the differences of these two models of Hoyts? Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dorado vs Buffalo????
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Snag I have been Shooting the Buffalo for about 3 months now and I just bought a Dorado off of Maineac and should have it by Tuesday. So I will let you know. The Buffalo has a bouble Radius shelf and the shelf is a little closer to your hand than Dorado shelf .  The Buffalo also has a differnt limb system.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Sounds like the Buffalo might be more like a regular recurve or longbow...?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I've shot both but not side by side so it's hard to compare. The Dorado has a good deal of mass weight to the handle so it is real steady and the version I shot was 62" and 50#. The Buffalo had been retrofitted with Hoyt carbon ILF limbs so it also was a good shooter. The riser is smaller and the bow is 60".
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
You can use ILF limbs on the Buffalo?
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
No, you can swap out hoyt recurve limbs , but you can not purchase ILF limbs. that's my understanding atleast...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
See below.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
You can buy adapters from Lancaster Archery and shoot ILF limbs.
only gor the dorado. i believe the buff uses specilized limbs only from hoyt
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I amended my post. I'm shooting with the friend tomorrow who has a Buffalo bow and he is shooting expensive Hoyt carbon limbs which are not Buffalo bow limbs. Not sure if they are ILF or not but will ask him what they are and how he got them to fit. But the fact remains you don't have to shoot Buffalo bow limbs on a Buffalo bow riser.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Well I'm the opposite of Macksdad. I've have had a couple Dorados and I'm getting a Buffalo this week so I can also chime in on this later. Dorado shooters seem to like the Buff better, I figure its the difference in the limbs maybe. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

You don't have to shoot Buffalo limbs ,BUT you cannot shoot standard ILF limbs, they must be the paralever limbs from HOYT.

Offline techieok

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
The riser is smaller and the bow is 60".
The buffalo is available in 60" and 62" as well.
We're making what once seemed impossible, simple. And what was once simple, impossible.~Me

Member Oklahoma Longbowmen

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
The buffalo riser is the same design as the RX FITA riser. You can buy F2,F3,or F4 limbs to fit the Buffalo bow. ILF limbs will not work as the hardware on the limbs are different. Just sold one and they are a great bow. The 60in bow uses short limbs. The 62in bow uses medium limbs. For a real stable bow you could put F2 long limbs and get a 64 in bow. Just can not get used to a metal riser. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I understand Roy. I have looked at these for tournament archery only. Don't know if I can go this way though...love my wood bows. I'd have to shoot one before I could make that decision.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Not a metal riser fan either, however my 1st three arrows out of a Buff were spot on at 20 yards. Tried it again a week later and gexperienced the same results.

Again bows are individualistic and have shot the Dorado at least a 1/2 dozen times. Never seemed to get on the mark with it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
You guys were right who said they can shoot other Hoyt formula limbs. My friend has a set of Hoyt carbon fiber limbs on his, don't know the model though.

I must have been thinking of the Dorado that can be adapted for ILF limbs.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Yes, this is an adapter out for the RX type risers to be used with ILF limbs. Unfortunately, I do not know when or where they will be available.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Well I just got my Buff yesterday and it a pretty good shooting bow! Not sure of actual weights but the Buff seems heavier, which I like. Limbs are pretty darned smooth out to my 27 1/2" draw, and they are #45 limbs. The thing that puts it over the top of a Dorado is the ease of breaking it down to put in the case if desired. I know it sounds petty but once you start breaking bows down like you do with the ILF's  you get spoiled, SIMPLICITY!!! Trust me, there is nothing wrong with a Dorado, dang good shooters, I think you just need to shoot a Dorado to respect the Buffalo!

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Well I finnaly got to shoot both bows side by side. First off the Dorado has a little fatter grip and a wider shelf than the buffalo. Dorado feels a whole lot liter whether it is or not I dont have a scale to weigh it on but it definetly feels lite. I have both bows set up as close as the same as possible. 16 strand flemish twist dacron stings with leeches for silencers nand mole skin on the limbs. Both off of the shelf with a bear hair type rest and side plate. Dorado 7 1/2 inch brace, 2016 gamegetter xx75 with 5" sheild cut fletching and 100 grain tips. Buffalo 8 1/8 inch brace, Cabelas carbon 400 , with 125gr weight tubes 5" sheild cut feathers and 125 gr tips. Both bows shoot great. As far as the buffalo being worth the extra $200, It doesn't shoot any better in my opinion but it does look a lot sharper, however I feel the extra money is probably just for the Fred Eichler signature. Just my opinion on this.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
David, get yourself a warf or an ILF riser, very similar but you have the option of a thousand different limbs compared to the Hoyts you mentioned. If you want to shoot an ILF just let me know I can send ya my Belcher with your choice of a couple sets of limbs and you can try for week or so and just send back to me. I would pay shippin to get it to you my friend. Just say the word! Shawn
Shawn

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Very generous off Shawn. Give me some time to get some other projects out of the way and then we'll talk more! Thanks buddy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©