3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dorado vs Buffalo????  (Read 614 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dorado vs Buffalo????
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
No problem, I am likin this ILF stuff. Very easy to tune if you shoot with a rest and plunger. Just let me know when your ready, I have enough others to keep me busy! Shawn
Shawn

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
I have only shot one Buffalo and no Dorados. Did not shoot the Buffalo much since it had very heavy draw weight limbs. Marked 65 pounds, but later measured at 72. It was a very early Buffalo though, as I recall the serial number was, yes I am sure of it now, A001.   :thumbsup:  

Paul, the Canadian rep for Hoyt, was astute enough to grab that bow when it appeared and it has been touring Canada ever since. Not too often we get the first of anything in this part of the world. Thanks, Paul.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
I'm still loving my Buffalo! I have had it for 2 1/2 months now and I think I have fine tuned this thing to perfection. I can draw this bow and hold at anchor like no other bow I have had, just fits me perfect the way its set up. I'm shooting Heritage 150's 29 1/2" w/175 up front-darts! Of coarse like any bow if you shoot them enough you really get accustomed to it and thats what I have done with this one, everyday.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
i think the buffalo is quieter than the dorado. the dorado was easier to tune from a rest rather than the shelf. with the dorado the difference in tuning from the shelf to the rest is that the limbs are screwed down tight and non adjustable. making a difference of about a half inch in nock height. changing the tillering of the bow totally.the buff with its double radius shelves makes it very easy to tune from the shelf. limbs can be adjusted for a wide range of tillering options. if using "even" tillering you can adjust poundage minimum to maximum of 5 pounds. again very adjustable to individual preference.

the buff is for formula limbs only. F2, F3, F4 are higher performance limbs. i shoot my buff limbs for hunting. and i have F4 limbs for 3D and all day shooting in lower pounds.you have to remember to make the conversion in poundage when you buy F2, F3, F4 limbs as they are designed for a 25" riser.

my F4 limbs i've been shooting shoot 173 fps with an easton ACC at @ 8.3 gpi at 38#. perfect for my worn out shoulders.

my hunting setup gave me a little trouble. the buff shoots alot harder than i thought. needing a stiffer arrow than usual. like the 2018 but going to try 2020 and ACC 3-39. at @ 50#.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I've shot both side by side.  I think the grip is closer to the type of grip I like, longbows and low wrist.  It is a great shooter, but for the money,  I can have a nice custom longbow or recurve bow made. The dorado is every bit as good as the buffalo, but the extra money for the FE signature isn't worth it to me.  The buff is a great point and shoot bow with the shelf laying right on your hand.  These bows would be more a personal preference thing as anything is.  :banghead:

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
My friend Hutch has both and spent the past month shooting/tuning and comparing the 2 bows...10 3D shoots later and he is keeping the Dorado.  He loves the adjustability of the Buffalo...shoots both off the shelf...same arrows...won 7 shoots in a row with the Dorado and has yet to win one with the Buffalo.  I shoot a Dorado off the shelf.  Simply cut a thick 1" diameter self sticking felt pad in half...put half on the shelf and the other half on the riser leaving a small gap between the 2 halves...it makes the arrow sit just off the hand and makes up for the cut past center shelf.  I hate to admit it, but this is the first bow I ever owned that has absolutely no forward movement on releasing an arrow...dead as can be and I like it.  BTW- the Buffalo is suppose to weigh less but it weighs more...which I do not like, and if you are shooting fat Dacron on these bows you are missing out on the ability of the bow.  As far as quiet... felt pads on the tip string grooves and yarn silencers and it's ready to hunt.  Mine is 50# and I had to put my 2016s/145g point in the rack...2018s with a 125 point are great with this bow.
The grips are interchangeable...he loves the Buffalo grip and I prefer the Dorado grip. :^)

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I like the Dorado grip as well,  fits my hand perfect.  I have been playing with aluminum arrows more lately and might try some 2018 with it. I shot some 2016 out of it but had to go light for them to spine right and they were a bit touchy. I actually shoot this bow better than my Excel set up, just loving this bow. Might have to get some Formula limbs for it and can the Excel!

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Hutch ordered some of the $89 Samick ILF and and Hoyt limb adapters for his Dorado...says it makes a great shooting bow shoot even better...I will stick with the factory limbs...they shoot better than I do...
Bob

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
I had the Buffalo and figured I didn't like the metal riser thing and I found it felt really heavy compared to my wood recurves. Anyway i ended up selling it as I just didn't like to shoot it that much. I just picked up a Dorado so I could have a wet weather and fishing bow and something I could use a screw-in rest on and all i can say is WOW. I'm sorry and don't mean to insult the Buff shooters but, the Dorado I received from a tradgang member is Dead quiet, fast and I'm pulling it to exactly 30 inch draw. I was worried as it's only 60 inch but I'm in love with this bow. Feels much lighter physically then the Buffalo, I mean it feels super light!!!   For me I would take the Dorado over the Buffalo any day and twice on sundays. For me it was :   lighter, quieter, as fast and as smooth..  just my opinion.
Cheers

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
The buffalo is an incredible user friendly hunting tool. I absolutely love mine. Since getting it the rest of the bow herd has been sitting idle minus my Silvertip Wolverine Longbow  :)

In all seriousness, it is very quick, when tuned properly it is also quiet. I have a 60" with 50# limbs and it is incredibly smooth. Just a joy to shoot!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©