3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just for Fun - Wilderness Survival  (Read 671 times)

Offline Zander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just for Fun - Wilderness Survival
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Cell phone with extra batteries(for ordering pizza)and money for the bar at the ski lodge.    :goldtooth:  
jon2, you did not think your answer thru very well.  You have to have an address for them to deliver the pizza & the ski resorts don't open until Thanksgiving weekend!  Sorry...try again.

Offline Zander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
100 packets of ramen noodles, 2 gallons of whisky, 100 chocolate bars & 25lb of assorted books.
rob, I want to go camping with you.  I'll bring the JetBoil for the noodles & matches to burn the books if we get cold.  :campfire:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Bring yer own whisky.....
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
most of the above, and some soap. Also Katadyn water filters (hiker and camp models). And several layers of clothes.
I lived in Colorado for 5 years. It can snow in the morning and be 70 that afternoon (or vise-versa). Maybe a pack rod and reel. Lots of great fishing in CO.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
I would have died in the wilderness sheep hunting. Never saw a single rabbit, squirrel, deer, elk, moose, ect. Saw lots of wolf and griz tracks though. Tough place to survive without Mountain House meals!

I did see sheep, but tough to get close.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
toilet paper, biodegradeable soap, metal pot and lid, sleeping bag, tent, 3 pairs of under garments, coat, gloves, hat, bow, 3 dozen arrows, multi tool, 3 knives, ax, 300' cord, fishing line and hooks, snare wire, sharpener, map and compass, water purification, bladder, fire steel, 2 sets shirt/pants, poncho
bryce olson

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Toilet paper! How did I miss that one... MUST HAVE SOME TP!  :)
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Lovec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
In addition to everything else I would take my Iphone and solar charger.  It doesn't weigh much.  It has a gps, Kindle(hundreds of books including the Bible), music, games, word processor for keeping notes, not to mention a phone if you have cell service and need it.
A Texan Living in the Czech Republic

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I'd take the clothes on my back, 5 pounds of salt and an axe.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm with you Orion except I would substitute a good knife for the salt  :confused:  and add some flint and steel. You can survive anywhere with those 3 items. Hatchet, knife, flint and steel.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Adirondackman:
 You can survive anywhere with those 3 items. Hatchet, knife, flint and steel.
It's probably pretty scary how many bleached skeletons once thought that....  :rolleyes:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
I never understood the need for a hatchet, Thats a lot of weight, I'd rather have that weight in dehydrated food. You can do anything you need to do with a sheath knife, or even a pocket knife.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Motor Home!     :laughing:
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Here goes, since we camp 18th century, most of this is the same. May be a few pounds over, my gear weights in at 38lbs with horn and gun so exchange for bow and quiver should be close.

Osage selfbow:
   (two strings)
1 dozen arrows:
    with broadheads
back quiver
3 knives:
   neck 3" blade
   belt 6" blade (will work as spear blade)
   one in possible pouch 4" friction folder
compass
2 fire starting kits:(one in possible bag one in haversack)
   flint
   steel
   char cloth
tow
salt (in horn)
red pepper (in horn)
corn meal (2lbs)
cranberries dried (1 lb)
boiler (tin pot)
tea leaves
water purification tablets
canteen
One virgin wool blanket ( cooper blanket pins 2)
haversack
bible (never can tell when you'll need help)
note pad (record the trip)
pen
repair kit (needles, thread, leather and cloth patches, leather thongs)
fishing kit (string, hooks, and corks)
belt axe

lived up to a week this way, a months a little harder to plan for.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by randy grider:
I never understood the need for a hatchet, Thats a lot of weight, I'd rather have that weight in dehydrated food. You can do anything you need to do with a sheath knife, or even a pocket knife.
The Hatchet is the most important survival tool that you could have. To survive 4 months you will have to build shelters and make weapons and tools. The hatchet is vital for long term survival. I would rather have a good hatchet then a knife. The Hatchet will do anything the knife can plus way more. You can make a good knife with a hatchet. Actually you can make everything that you need to survive with a Hatchet.The amount of dehydrated food that a hatchet weighs won't last you very long but with the hatchet you will be able to provide yourself with food and good shelter.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Adirondackman is 100%.....correct....and well said....My Gransfors is as dear to me as my bow....but more useful.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Good call on the hatchet. Awesome tool.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Yea... that one has me stumped too. What's the 5lbs of salt for?

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
And I am with Ricky.. That's funny, I was thinking the same thing... The MotorHome! HA HA HA!  :)

Offline Chuck Wyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
A month in the bush?
I'd carry a good bit of the stuff most have mentioned for water, shelter, food, but would add these items would be part of my 30#s...

1-Some sort of dry antibiotic pills (an infection from cuts or a busted tooth can kill you in short order.)
2-Big heavy gage plastic bags (they can store water and shed water) They make decent ponchos in a pinch.
3-at least eight 110 Connibear traps. I think these would have a better meat-making ratio for expended calories than all the bow or snare gear.
4-a small book on wild edibles for Colorado. (because I'm not an Indian who learned these things from a wise old grandmother)    :)  
5-Cutlery....a Mora carved to jam snuggly up in the hollow handle of one of those  new style Fiskars hatchets. Nice light/tough combo. A short fine file (or machinist's dressing stone) in the handle to keep things sharp.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -Mark Twain

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©