3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next step in bareshafting?  (Read 361 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next step in bareshafting?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Yep.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
OK, I officially apologize to Stu. I used his new method to measure rest position, he's right, I'm wrong. Now my difference isn't 7 pounds, it's like .2 pounds. LOL. Newbie.

Originally posted by FrankM:
I'm fairly new to this sport. I just figured out how to bareshaft tune my bow. I'm able to run 145, 175, 200 grains up front on the arrows in my sig. At each adjustable rest setting, I notice that Stu's calc is around 7 lbs. off. All I can attribute it to is my shooting style, brace height, etc. So, I'm going to bareshaft and broadhead tune for now on, and if they don't match Stu's calc exactly, that's ok.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Orientation of a nock can be very misleading.  Shoot some bear shafts and look at point of impact compared to fletched ones.  Forget the nock.  If bare shafts group to the right of the fletched shafts your are underspined (for a right handed shooter).

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Just got done trying the 400's.  Full length bare shafts hit right of the fletched shafts about 8-10".  Cut the shafts down in increments until 29 3/4".  Grouped pretty tight with the fletched shafts.  Fatigue started setting in so I'm done cutting today.  I'm going to shoot these shafts for a week or so and make sure that the results are the same.  I did make a couple of observations... I shot some of the 300's (that everyone else thought were too stiff) that had chartruese cap wraps on them and guess what? yep, after a few shots I saw a yellow mark on the side of the shelf, proving I guess that my "false weak" was actually the shaft hitting the bow.  Also I noticed that the fletched 400's were waaaay more forgiving.  Seemed like no matter how tired I got they still hit close to the mark.  If these 400's are still grouping well, my next step is to put some broadheads on them and see how they fly.  Thanks for all the help.
Mike

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Just a follow up.  Today I put on my big Snuffers and shot these ICS 400's; (4X4" fletch), and they grouped right with my field points out to 20 yards.  I did notice that the broadhead arrows were more touchy when it came to my release, but when I did my part the arrows went where they were supposed to.  So final story, ICS 400's cut to 29.5" with 300gr. up front out of my 58/59lb at 28.75" draw longbow = great arrow flight.  I'm done tinkering, time to practice.  Thanks again.
Mike

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a great set up!

Better than mine for sure.

Good luck!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©