3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thermals??  (Read 236 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
thermals??
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:00 AM »
i need a set of thermals for a pack in tahr hunt next month. i already have a set but i want to keep them dry at camp/in my pack for use each night. for the day use set i was looking at either some thermal 'skins' or some of the 'under armour' cold gear. i thought these might offer a bit of compression which may help alot while carrying a 25kg pack in NZ's southern alps for 10 days!
anyone used these or something similar? any other suggestions?

thanks guys!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thermals??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
G'day Clint,
Sorry I can't help you with any thermals.....that's the least of my worries in Fiji!  Sounds like a great hunt you have planned!  I just watched a bowhunt video for NZ tahr and it looked great.  Be safe, and good hunting.
  :thumbsup:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
Hey good to see your coming out my way a hint Swanndri thermals are the way to go all wool they don't itch keep you warm when wet best of all and i have done it 10 days hard hunting and you cannot smell yourself thats the best part.

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
Anything merino wool is the go Clint. It is not as durable but it keeps you warm without overheating, does not stink and works when wet. Spend the extra money and you'll be better off, even if it's expensive.
Go placidly

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
You got to it before me Aunty! I should also say good luck on those Tahr Clint, it would be a cool hunt.
Go placidly

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
I love my helly hansen underwear. It's the "dry" model not the "warm" ones.  Super light, and I stay dry all day no matter what, I usually bring 2 pairs whne I'm in basecamp so I can wash them, which is easy and they dry very fast.  I've slept in them as night wear and they are good but honestly I like a pair of cotton sweat pants,cotton shirt and cotton socks because I sweat so much in a nylon sleeping bag.

have a good trip

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
you got to be quick Dryfired lol you just got to love wool next november i will be chasing thar myself good luck ozy clint whisting arrows

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
Under armor stinks. Litterally! Once you sweat it'll stink. At least on me it does. 100% wool for me.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Merino wool, check out Gransfors Bruks in SC. Phone: 843 875 0240
[email protected]
 www.gransfors.us

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I gave away my under armor, its junk!!!! Have several sets of "perfomance wool". WOW what a difference. Wool always works.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
okay, so wool seems to be the popular choice.
how about the merino top and bottom from KUIU?
reasonable price too.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
I'll be buying my next stuff from KUIU to support bowhunters. The thermals are exactly like I have used for many years. Otherwise similar stuff is available at a comparable price through a couple of merino wool garment retailers in Oz.

My partner thinks my black merino thermal t-shirts look sexy, which is a bonus; I like 'em because they don't stink  ;)
Go placidly

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
I know my go to thermals or base layer is always what the army calls its  ECWCS, or Extended Cold Weather Clothing System.  Overall it is a 7 piece system. But the best layer and the only one worth a damn is the level 1 base layer.  It is commonly refered to in the ranks as the "ninja suit" or "silk weights".  In the commercial world it is pretty much a loose varity of the same underarmor material. I have tried the compression type suits in this material and found that comfort and breathability were terrible, the loose fitting style on the other hand is anything but.  The thickness and weight of this material is next to nil. I commonly wear just the silk weights under my normal ACU's and can easily sustain temps in the 30's without a jacket. Adding a normal jacket or gortex and you can go well below freezing.
The ECWCS system and its indivual pieces can be had at most military surplus stores. Also Cabela's has started to stock it too. I guess the public is picking up on the Army's idea. They also run cheaper than the under armour equivilants.
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
After i bought my first set of UA cold gear, I gave away all my other "long johns". The cold gear is expensive, but worth every penny.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©