3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Wood For Arrows  (Read 585 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite Wood For Arrows
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
I'm just curious to what you guys think the best wood for arrows is (heaviest, strongest, straightest). My first dozen I bought cedar and liked them, I just thought they broke easily. So this last dozen I bought I got Sitka Spruce. I noticed they were lighter and not as straight, but I was going for the strength. So are I have broke 4 of those arrows, two I could understand but the other two I thought was weird   :confused:  . I thought my cedar arrows were stronger than the dozen of Sitka's I had gotten. I really don't mind straighting arrows (actually enjoy it)so I guess that's not as big of a deal to me. Mainly strength and the weight.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Wood For Arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
BAMBOO

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Doug fir is stronger and a bit heavier than cedar or spruce.  All of the hardwoods are stronger as well, though quite a bit heavier -- ash,birch,maple, hickory,etc.  I shoot them all, but use POC 90% of the time.  Don't have much trouble with breakage.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I've been a cedar only shooter for many years.  This past winter I bought three dozen Douglas Fir shafts and have been beating the crap out of them.  They make up a 630 gr+/- grain shaft with 125 gr points and still fly (similar sized cedars are 580gr).  I taper the last 12" down to 5/16" and that helps any wood shaft recover quickly.  I purchased mine from Braveheart and the quality is tops.  All very straight and the grain is outstanding.  Of the 36 only one took some heat and effort to straighten.  And a bit of stain really makes the grain stand out beautifully.  

So far one lost to a Robin Hood and another partially split near the tip but repaired (after carefully analyzing and prepping - I do not recommend this).  It caught in the grain when retrieving a smacked shaft from a woven target face and split for 4" or so.  I used medium CA (instant) glue to repair it with careful clamping.  

The target tips have been shot every day this year and they absorb a lot of shaft strikes from other points.  My stump shafts I put Ace Hex Heads on and they are all still going strong.  That's usually the test of a rugged shaft, but it could just be I haven't run up against many tough stumps.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
This winter I did up 12 Douglas Fir and 2 dozen POC have been shooting the hell out of them, outdoors and indoors! I have broke one Doug fir and 2 POCs so far,  I shoot heavy shafts and so far durability has not been an issue as of yet!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I use poc for years now they work just fine.  :archer2:

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm pretty sold on Ash right now but I may change my mind after a summer of 3D shoots. Rock solid in the 75-80# range if you straighten and finish them right away. They can pick up moisture and get brittle if you don't.

I like Chundoo as well.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Douglas Fir is my favorite, but I like laminated birch for HHill longbows. 3R sells chundoo now I believe.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
River Cane.  Ash. Hickory.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Do yourself a favorite and buy some Surewood Shafts. They are "the best" douglas fir shafts on the market! They are durable, a good weight (585-600gr for my arrows with 145-160gr tips), and very straight. Give them a try. You won't be sorry.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
I have been spending a lot of time with a light Hill longbow, 43#@27" and have tried several different types of wood looking for a good match, to include sitka spruce, poc, hex pines, ash, and laminated birch.  I recently worked my way around to 5/16 ramin shafts from Twig Archery and I think I'm going to stay there.  They really work well for self nocks and my first dozen, out of the box, were the straightest raw shafts I've ever purchased.  They averaged 350 grains each and finish up around 500 grains with a 125 gr. head.  They are tough and fly like darts.  I think they will do well on game--ask me in a few months!

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I like chundoo.  I have some that have taken a beaten and still around.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
In wood shafts I like poplar if I can find them. I've also made my own.

Other then that Doug fir is very good and will take a lickin.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Forgewood, if you can find any. Straight, heavy, and nearly indestructible.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Nothing but POC for many years and many more I hope
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Chundoo, Kelly Petersen used to have some awesome shafts made from Chundoo(sp?) I also have some cedarsmith compressed cedar that is absolutely amazing, tough and super straight and stays straight too. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I have shot ash, maple, douglas fir, chundoo, sitka spruce, POC....and my favorite all around is Douglas Fir for strength, weight, etc.

If you are just looking for the strongest, heaviest, etc.....I would say ASH...with Maple right behind.  Tough as nails...but really heavy.  Good for hunting but may be too much if you do 3D shoots or hunt at distances over 20-25 yards.

I would say Doug Fir for all around...personally.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I've tried bamboo and doug fir. The bamboo are pretty tuff, the fir I could do without. Nothing like aluminum though.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I've been testing cedar arrows with the front portion having an exterior of aluminum,  they are called StumpBusters.  So far I've been very impressed with them and just got off the phone ordering some more.  Here's the website if you're interested in checking them out.  -Jay

http://www.bestfriendbows.com/Home_page.html

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I love POC and shoot them mostly...but have shot ash for a "heavy" arrow and they are TOUGH!!!!! I think Chundoo maybe the best "tweener" arrow for weight/toughness, I just bought 18 tapered ones and have to finish them yet.... from twigg archery out of ohio, douglas fir seems like it would do well also but haven't shot it.I also got some 5/16" parallel hickory from Allegheny Mtn. arrowwoods....do them up quick as they move around...but I like their small crossection...good luck....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©