3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snow is going  (Read 181 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Snow is going
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I have been able to finally get out and enjoy some stump shooting.  I am not great at documenting the process like some others.  I finally remembered a camera when I took my youngest shorthair for a long walk. We were able to set up a new ground blind in an area some turkeys used last spring as a roosting area.  On the way back I stopped and sat on a big hemlock trunk that had been left and took a shot.

My elbow looks a bit high, but my back was tired from running a chainsaw for several hours on Sat.(at least I'll use that as my excuse).  I lined up on a patch of dirt with a dark spot in it under a root.

If you look close in the above pict you might be able to see a nock.

I paced it off at 27 yards.

I always seem to shoot farther distances when I am out roaming the woods.  I choose targets that look reasonably close and am always surprised when I pace them off.  Which is funny because when I shoot 3d with my wheelie toting buddies I am usually within a yard or two of estimating the distance when I think about it that way.  I t was nice getting back out and walking in the woods without a lot of snow, though it isn't all gone.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snow is going
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
It's going to be 90 down here today!  I think I would trade out for something a little cooler. Gotta be some middle ground somewhere.   Joe
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Looks about the same here in the woods....spring is a long time come'n. Nice looking dog by the way!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
He is learning to find the arrows for me.  He is not overly excited about it like my other dog.  Can't let him see the bow or he starts spinning circles and barking in excitement.  Hard to focus on my shooting when all I can hear is whining.  Woodcock, it was low 50's and I had to take my long sleeve shirt off because I was sweating.  I would die down there.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Gotta love the snow melting and stumping! Thanks for sharing.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline speedbump

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I was able to wear a T-shirt today...sure felt good. Still alot of  snow in the woods here but the fields are bare and the turkeys are strutting. The snow took a beating today with heavy rains this am now it is around 60 degrees out and the sun is shining. Goin out to shoot a few. OH YA!
TGMM family of the bow

Green Mountain Longbow-Morrison Arapaho, Groves

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
You still got snow.....and we got POLLEN!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm glad the snow is finally gone from here.  It hit 84 degrees here in northern Iowa yesterday.  Thanks for sharing your stump shooting pictures.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Hey Maineac, we still have more snow in the woods in my part of the State. You guys are usually 2 to 4 weeks ahead of us, your mowing lawns and we still have some snow. Hopefully this rain will take some away.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
MUD   MUD  MUD
Just a lttle snow
More snow to come Fri.
Come on spring!!!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.