3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1st Annual Croatan Dogwood Blossom Stump Shoot **pics on page 4**  (Read 1037 times)

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Annual Croatan Dogwood Blossom Stump Shoot **pics on page 4**
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Bud, I'm guessing 8-10 miles from Pollocksville to Merchants Market. Keep my cell handy 252-902-9806, I will be halfway to P-ville before shoot to p/u aerial thrower at Batten's.  I may be able to lead you in as well. Joe
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
Sorry....again. I posted on Ian's log-in.  Why don't we all meet at Merchants Market and make it easy?  Joe
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I'm always up for "easy" - besides, what a great chance for a "sneak nap" - if the store owner doesn't get worried and run all of us malinger-ers  off    :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Maybe if we eat lunch there he will tolerate us, He has in the past!!!! The boys and I have thrown back many a chili dog at Merchants.
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I plan on leaving around 5am here. ETA about 8:50am-9:00am....barring any problems (fingers x)

I may leave earlier to hit somewhere for breakfast near Siler City or Raleigh.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Calling for straight line winds of up to 85mph here.

Batten down the hatches. Secure the riggings.

Everyone stay safe.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Bud, Looks like you are catching it right about now.  Hope all goes well and no twisters!!! See you tomorrow if you are not in OZ!  Been a nice day here, worked on some turkeys with the boys this morning but not to be.  Close though, Ian stalked to within 15 yds of one. Still no rain here, maybe later. Still calling for nice tomorrow.   Joe
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Ruddy and I went out this AM also but no sightings or even any sounds. Had a good time out there though. Still set to pick him up tomorrow AM around 8 AM and head for Merchants Store, if this "stuff" clears out of here like they expect it to. See y'all then/there.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Sunny but windy after it passed. No downed trees.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 04:24:00 AM »
Will pick Ruddy up near New Bern at 8 this AM and see y'all at Merchants Store - if hwy 17 isn't blocked by last night's storm. Waiting for the regular TV news to come on this morning.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »
Hope everyone made out OK. Sanford got a big tornado (for these parts). It tore up Lowe's hardware and damages nearby businesses and homes.

It's 0429. Heading out in a few.

Woodcock has my cell #.

Heading 64 to Raleigh and then 40 to 70.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
I'll be leaving about 7 - barring any discouraging news I haven't received so far. Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Man, That was a cool shoot.  A little past blossom prime but beautiful property nonetheless.  Everything was so green and lush.  Ruddy, I have to compliment you on your shooting, very very impressive!  Bud B., It was great to meet you and thanks for your wonderful effort to drive so far to participate, you're no slouch with a bow either!  Anna, Luke and Ian and I had a great time.  Bernie and Ruddy are going to post pics later.  We all hope to do it again real soon. Joe
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Ruddy took videos today and I took a few still shots. It really was a great time for all of us, and in a beautiful part of the Croatan. We didn't have a big group for the first annual but it sure was a pleasant group - all around, and I don't think it could have been a better time. The McMillans are always so very enjoyable to shoot with, as is Ruddy, and Bud B. turned out to be a great addition to our gang - even I managed to be half-way sociable -     :D

After meeting at Merchant's Store we went to the Forrest and got ready to start out on our walking shoot - Joe, Ruddy, and Bud talk it over (Ian and Anna in the background):

Anna, Luke, and Ian McMillan are anxious to get the show on the road:

Ruddy, Luke, Ian, and Joe watch Anna prepare to shoot - well, after a second look, I guess Ruddy had me mixed up with Anna - smile:

I decided it was time to brave the firing line and get at least one shot of the group from the front, having a good time - Joe, Ian, Luke, Anna, Ruddy (having just a grand ol' time), and Bud:

"Cluster Mess Shot of the Day" went to Joe, who decided nothing was more fun than sticking a borrowed Flu-flu arrow in the tree - instead of the pine cone we were shooting at:

(I have a second set to post - but after I stuff my face with some of Rose's Fried Chicken - sorry I can't offer you some.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Looks like a good day, we had a good day up here in N.Y. also....great fun!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Whew!

I got home about 30 minutes ago. Supper is on the stove.

Here's a good shot of a good shot!

It was nice meeting everyone. I hope those that couldn't make it are safe. Watching the evening news I see just how bad the storm was that hit the middle and southern US. NC got hit hard.

But on a lighter note, the Croatan is a nice area. I like walking in dirt with my boots and not having them all red with clay. You can keep the fire ants though.

Good stuff today.  :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Looks like fun had by all.

Perhaps if this thing catches on we will have a national stumpshoot day   :dunno:  

what a great way to spend a day.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Mmmmm-mmmm, good - I won't tease y'all further.

I agree with, Bud, I also was listening to the news while eating supper with my wife and my heart went out to all those who were hit so hard. I knew that it wasn't good, last night and this morning, and as we prepared to leave from our fun stump shoot, I was fully aware of how blessed we were to have been there together to enjoy a fine day in a place untouched by the storms - Thank you, Lord.

On with the show -

Luke and Ian proudly display the Black racer that they outraced as we shot our way back. They performed a hand "catch and release" on the speedy reptile - twins are capable of great team efforts when the chips are down, or fun is to be had:

Another good shot of that good (near perfect) shot by Ian, and here Ruddy points out where his arrow struck the same target:

A little further on, Ruddy got his own near perfect shot on that pesky pink target, when only the edge was barely visible in the grass. Anna dubbed this one "The Lolly Pop Shot" There was some fine shooting going on today but, as Joe and Bud said, Ruddy was really "The Hot Shot" of the shoot:

After the shoot we returned to Merchant's Store and ate a little lunch, amid more good comradeship, and then prepared to part until "next time" we meet. I snuck a last still picture while the rest were discussing Ruddy making a final Video clip of the full bunch - getting so you can't trust anybody, huh, guys? -   :D    Ian was setting Ruddy's neat little camera up so he could take a "self"-video while he was at it:

Thanks for thinking up this good time, Joe, and getting us all fired up for it. Like I said, "Anytime!"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
what great fun. bernie, you have posted some great pics . i will post mine in the a.m. ive hade alot to catch up on at home. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Thank you, Rudy, I was pretty pleased with what they captured - just wish I had taken more. However, I'm sure your videos will round the pictorial out very well indeed - looking forward to them.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©