3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rays, No Pigs?  (Read 990 times)

Re: Rays, No Pigs?
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
rob, have a great time!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I would like to add...

when Ray is doing pest control with his "Fly swatter" do not stand in front or under him.  You will get a glass Shower  ;)    :readit:    :help:    :biglaugh:  

I'll let Ray elaborate if he wants to.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
images no wider than 640 please!

This is a picture of the spot where I had my first hog encounter. The pigs came in on the other side of all that stuff.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Areas like this one are where I seemed to encounter the majority of the hogs.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Sorry, I am still trying to figure this picture thing out.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Area of my first encounter.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Hog wallow.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Saw most of the pigs in areas like this.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
It's not that shots are hard to get- its that you have to learn how to get a shot....and the only way to learn that is to spend time amongst the hogs and learn their ways.

Any one of the encounters could have turned out completely different if our hunters were coming from a slightly different angle or the hogs turned the other way- it's just a matter of doing it enough to make it happen.

If you come to HH, you won't be hunting over a feeder in a tripod or hang on unless that's what you insist on...some guys like tripods over feeders- I like the challenge of doing it up close and personal- and not while the hogs are frantically jumping, turning and twisting to make sure the other ten hogs around them don't get any of the kernels of corn before they do. Now THAT'S tough shooting.

Getting shots isn't tough- once you learn HOW to set yourself up to get them. But that's not something you can be taught- it's something you have to learn through experience.

That's part of the fun. You've already decided to limit your ability to kill by picking the toughest weapon short of an atlatl- this is what we live for- HARD!!!! That's what makes success so satisfying!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Wow, sounds like you guys had a great time.  thats what makes a great hunting camp.!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Down in the swamp.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Ray,
 I now have a little better understanding of these animals. Hopefully this will give me the edge for next time.

Dale

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Looks like a great place to hunt.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
This was a great group- always excited about what they were doing- anxious to stay after them- and enjoying life!

Of course, when you live in a land of ice and snow for 8 months a year- all you basically have to do is see the sun and feel the warm for a few minutes and you think you've died and gone to Heaven- hog heaven, that is!   :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
it ain't called 'hog heaven' for nothin'!  it's THE PLACE TO BE for HOGS!  if you've never hunted hogs before, there is at least a bit of a learning curve - typically, more than a bit.  you may not get a shot, or you may blow a LOT of shots, but the excitement of the hog hunt is real, and gets deep in yer bones, and you'll be back for more - for sure!  i'm hooked on hogs!  and they is SO tasty on the bbq, too!  :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Boy it's a lot wetter than it was in January!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
It's not that shots are hard to get- its that you have to learn how to get a shot....and the only way to learn that is to spend time amongst the hogs and learn their ways.

If you come to HH, you won't be hunting over a feeder in a tripod or hang on unless that's what you insist on...some guys like tripods over feeders- I like the challenge of doing it up close and personal-

Getting shots isn't tough- once you learn HOW to set yourself up to get them. But that's not something you can be taught- it's something you have to learn through experience.

That's part of the fun. You've already decided to limit your ability to kill by picking the toughest weapon short of an atlatl- this is what we live for- HARD!!!! That's what makes success so satisfying!!!
I had a blast, wouldnt do it any other way!  There has been a lot of learning involved I feel next time, I would have a great chance on getting one.

I learned a lot, Had  a blast, got stick bow close to a ton of animals but no hogs. If I wanted to kill a hog, I would have went elsewhere and brought a gun.

Some people like to shoot and some like to hunt!

I will provide a list of all the animals I snuck into bowrange and counted Coupe.

Careful, This Hog Hunting is ADDICTIVE.  Good thing I work at a Rehab facility that strictly deals with addictions. Working on my problem as we speak.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
That trip sounds like you fellas got smiles pasted on you thatll return every time you revisit that country in your minds.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I was ready to go back down there before we were across the Mason-Dixon Line.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I also want to add,

If it was only about getting meat, I could have bought 2 pigs for the price of our gas   :readit:  

It's soley about the adventure.

Forgive me Izzy if I am smiling ear to ear when I see you! Dont get me wrong I'm always happy to see you but I ain't smiling cuz yur purdy!  :readit:    :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©