3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rays, No Pigs?  (Read 991 times)

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rays, No Pigs?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Saturday morning Dale and I went back to the fire break along the edge of the pines where I had seen the hogs the night before when I was coming out in the dark. We got started a little later than we should have and the hogs had already gone back into the pines, but the fire break was covered in fresh tracks so we knew they were still around. Dale went into the pines first and I went up the trail a ways and cut in to go over to where I had left the hogs the night before. Another thing I learned about hogs is that they are where they are and not where they were,they seem to travel a lot. Dale was into hogs as soon as he got into the pines.I hunted my way through to the swale that I had seen them near the night before but they weren't there anymore. I hunted through to the road on a drainage ditch that was just covered in hog tracks and wallows. Just before I got to the road I saw what had to be the biggest bobcat in South Carolina, so big that I looked for a long tail because I thought he was something else.I marked this trail because I planned on going back in that way later because it was a lot easier and quieter way to get back into where all the sign was. After lunch Ray said that we should try down by the swamp because the water level had dropped quite a bit since the day before. We were all for it because we all wanted to see the different landscapes on the property. On the walk into the swamp we saw a 4 or 5 foot gator but he was to quick for any of us to get a picture. Dale and I hunted down along the river and saw some beautiful country but no hogs.There was still a lot of places you couldn't get to because of the high water. We all got back to the truck just before dark (none of us wanted to be wading through the water after seeing that gator)and were talking about our hunt when we heard some pigs not to far away. Dale and I went after them but ran out of light. Back at camp Ray and Mike had roasted vegetables and giant steaks cooked over hickory coals waiting for our supper.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Great story and Hog Heaven is indeed just that!

Sounds like you guys had a super time there.

Good luck Rob!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
well I really can't add much to the story. It was a great time and a great group.Ray is a great host and a bad tennis player! I was checking flights today, Trying to see how quick it would be. Had to shut the computer off before I booked a Flight. Ray I will be back if you will have me. Thanks for the good time. Greg
greg ketchum

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Hey guys, We're heading down for fathers day weekend. There's still 2 openings if anyone 's interested in a return trip
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Great story guys!    :clapper:  I hope one day I can make it down there
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
That's RAQUETBALL, Greg, RAQUETBALL!! Sheesh...everyone's a critic!!!  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:  

You are welcome back any time, brother.  I like PAHKIN' DA CAHH IN DA YAHD myself...and don't get TIYUD of hearin' about it, don't ya know.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
My pleasure to help out Charlie.Glad you had a fine time. Glen

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
On my last morning, I went to a new to me area. Hogs had been seen there by Greg and Joe.

I saw lots of game.  I counted coup on much of it.

here is a list of all the animals I snuck into bow range of:

Possum (must have been fed by Ray, it was a biggun) Ray can confirm

Raccoon
4 Deer on 3 occasions
1 Jake
umpteen squirrels including several blacks

while I saw the turkey, I was being serenaded by Frogs and Owls.  I tried to take pictures of wild life but my camera is loud and lousy.

Here is an owl that paid me a visit.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Good stuff guys....its a great experience dead hog or no dead hog.  Killing deer is MUCH easier!!!  Especially if you've never hunted hogs before.

You wont find too many places like Ray's to get a hog, or experience.

Again, hogs are hard at times...I've blown probably 15 stalks in a row, and then killed 5 in a row.  You learn something every time out.  1st thing I learned was the wind is your biggest enemy....and the reason for most blown stalks...pardon the pun    :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
hey, charlie...I seen that owl before- HA!!!

That was ABSOLUTELY the biggest possum I've ever seen- without doubt!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Ray, what you feeding them buggers?  Leftover steak   :readit:  

Speaking of buggers,

The Mosquitoes were not bad, especially considering how wet things were. we only used our thermacells periodically.

Chiggars were not out and I only found 3 ticks on me, none attached.  

Here is a picture of me demonstrating how to use an antique thermocell. At my good friend Ken's Request, I send up some smoke! Here's to ya brother.

I want to thank Charlie Lamb for inspiring me to think about taking self timed photo's.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
One thing I wanted to see, and think everyone is full of BS is an armadillo.

None were spotted during this trip.  saw plenty of holes but no dillos.

This is one my Buddy Chris claims to have shot 2 months prior. personally, I think he was somewhere else   :confused:  cause there aint any at Ray's.  

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
The last morning Dale and I left camp at first light. He went up the fire break and I went up the road to go into the swale via the drainage ditch I had found the night before as it was a lot quieter walking,also hoped to see the bobcat again. Didn't see anything on the way in and when I made it across the swale I heard something in the pines on the other side,it turned out to be my son Dale. He had  seen about 15 pigs already and was trying to move around to get downwind of them.We split up and went on either side of another large swale. About half way through I heard pigs running through the water. The wind was right and I had been quiet so I didn't think I had jumped them. Turns out Dale had seen them and taken a shot at one and missed low.I tried to cut them off but they got away without a sighting.After a while I decided it was time to hunt back towards camp and pack up to head home. I was hunting through the pines toward camp going a little faster than normal when I heard a hog ahead and to the right of me.I saw two medium sized hogs moving away from me but not hurrying I went into predator mode and tried to parallel them staying downwind.I soon lost sight of them but when I looked up I saw moving through the bushes a giant hog that made me forget all about the others,this thing was huge! I only got that one look at him and couldn't find him again. Soon Dale came out from the direction the hogs had gone, he had seen them but no shot. It was now time to get ready for the long drive home and our hunt was over.
This was one of the greatest hunts I have been on.Lots of game and other wildlife seen, anticipation of shots about to be taken, although none were,beautiful weather,very few mosquitos(I only started my Thermacel once in the evening when were in the swamp),new friends made,getting to share the experience with my son,and once again sitting around the campfire with Ray. Thank-You sir,
Dan
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I just got home from work and read the thread. We had a great time and saw lots of game at Hog Heaven last weekend. I managed to trail the tracks of a very big solo hog until I jumped it in a thicket not ten yards from me. He took off like a big truck plowing his way through the thicket. What a big thrill that was. Like the Yankee guys from Maine and NY, I counted coup on many deer, rabbits ( one at two yards, a very cool stalk), fox squirrels (in their many South Carolina color phases), lizards and other beasts. Had an arrow on the string many times and a fast heart beat going, but no shots. It is real hunting with no sure thing. Well, a good hunting camp with great people is assured.

Ray is a great host, a real salt-of-the-earth man -- my kind of person -- an honest, straight shooter, and a person who clearly takes pride in being a great host.

The guys from Maine and Charlie from NY are great guys to share a hunting camp with, and I would recommend hunting with any of those guys any time.

Mike (Squirrel Bait), who was hobbled by a bad knee, is one heck of a great guy too. If you share a camp with him, be smart and listen to him talk about hunting. He knows what he is talking about and you can learn a lot by just listening to Mike and Ray. And, I hope Mike's knee surgery on Monday went well. Yep, he was out hunting the weekend before his knee surgery. That is cool.

Hog Heaven is beautiful countryside, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a hunting experience that will create some top-notch memories.

I'll be back there every year I can manage it.

All the best,
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Even I saw Dillo's at Ray's.......   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
My hat's off to you fellows: Learning a new hunting skill isn't easy. You can't watch a video or do it once and become an expert.

It requires putting the time in to make it all come together- I feel certain you'd have put it together in another day or so if we'd had the time.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Just Heard From Mike AKA Squirell Bait "Nuts"   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
That's good to hear about Mike. I'll drop him a message to wish him well with his recovery from the surgery.
Best,
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Definitely nice pictures! Oh man, I grew up in Louisiana and those pics make me miss home some kinda bad.  :)  Good luck hunting those pigs!
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©