3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OK....Seasonal/Optional Gear....  (Read 374 times)

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: OK....Seasonal/Optional Gear....
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
A few years ago I got tired of carrying so much gear to the woods.  Now I try to only take the absolute essentials.  Other than my bow it is knife, hunting license and can of Copenhagen; and I'm working on getting rid of the Copenhagen.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Once the weather turns cool I always have a fleece neck gaiter and cap in my pack.

In summer I replace my "deer knife" with something smaller.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I will be keeping an eye on this one. I would expect to learn something from this thread.

One thing that constantly plagues me is taking too much. I look at some of my most successful hunting buds over the past and a common theme is that they ironically seem to take only the bare minmum.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I only take the bare minimum because most of the time I'm not so far away that I can't be out of the woods in an hour or less and that's if I take my time.
When I do venture further out I still only carry the bare esentials.
Water/Soda
matches or lighter
granola bars or crackers/snacks
Fully charged cell phone
small flash light
small pair of pruners and sometimes a folding limb  saw
glow stick, the kind you snap and stays lit for hours to mark a blood trail
thermacell and extra fuel/repellent matts
about 10' of paracord
at least 1 sharp knife
something to read if I'm going to be sitting in a blind
camo face mask
extra finger tab
and I always have about 4 or 5 paper towels folded up in my fanny pack somewhere they come in real handy for everything

I figure that should get me by until I can get back to civilization, if not hopefully I have a signal on my cell phone.

One last item I forgot to mention that I recently started adding to my fanny pack is a small brown bottle of nitro pills. Since I'm over 40 and heart problems run in the family I figure it may save my life someday so I started carrying them and just make it a routine to toss them in my bag. This was a suggestion by my mother and I thought she had a very good point. Sometimes mama does know best.   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
A few 1 gallon zip lock bags come in handy as does an extra handkerchief and some baby wipes(unscented). A half dozen zip ties for attaching tags to game bagged or tying back foliage when building a blind are in my pack also.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Thermocell a must in Turkey hunting and early season bow hunting.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Yes...I hear many of you....I like to back light too...and THAT is the purpose of this thread.

Trying to make sure we DON'T take items with us....

Keep it coming....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
The ThermaCell is seasonal.

A bandana made from Insect Shield fabric is something I always have in mosquito season. Insect Shield really works.

In the winter I carry the little HotHands hand warmers and toe warmers. They really make a difference.

I am never without the puff bottle wind checker (one of the best things ever invented for bow hunting). I am also never without a compass.

I also always carry a small diamond hone to keep broadheads and knives shaving sharp.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
depends on the trip, the location, the animal your hunting, the amount of time your out  etc etc etc

if your like me and spend lots and lots of time out in the bush one of the most used items for me is a
Head lamp!

I spend months and months in the bush and I never go without a head lamp ( good quality get something like a petzl) , there are a lot of other things over time you will find you do 'not' need and those that you do not use often...Keep in mind though that there are a few things that you may not use often, but when you need them and dont have them, you'r really in the S%*t!

Then depending on the individual you weigh up your options as to whether, you prepare and carry those items or not.

And ...Above all else carry the "Knowledge" in your head before you worry about what you carry in your backpack!  

hunt hard, hunt smart    :wavey:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I have 3 different packs always ready to go.

1 - Desert pack.
hunting Javelina, rabbits, mulies, etc.
Camelbak small Waterpack. Full of water... sometimes an extra water bladder.
snack bars
first aid kit (adventure medical variety)
small survival kit (adventure medical variety)
water tablets just in case.
sneaky feet
tripod for glassing
knife and saw
Radio with emergency channels
I hunt pretty close to the border most of the time, so I take extra precautions.
Old fashioned map and compass, sometimes a GPS depending on the circumstances. Some of the ranches I hunt out here are 100,000 acres plus.

2-ground blind/tree stand pack
extra screen for double bull blind
spare black gloves, (camo for treestand)
roll of black tape  (camo for treestand)
larger cleaning kit (add caping knife)
flashlight
Trail marking tape
compact camo face paint
50' Paracord or tree stand rope.
tree stand ratchet strap or if in blind tie downs or extra steaks.
snacks
First aid and Survival kits (+ water tablets, or a purification bottle)

3rd one is a large multi-day pack. I pretty much take everything I own for that one.
----------
I always have a small plastic plano box for bow necessities (extra string, wax, serving, sharpener, point/tips, nocks, etc). I have super glue in the first aid kit that works for nocks in a pinch too. And Walkie-talkie/radio with emergency channels. And my Camo Bible. Very thankful to have it in the ground blind or on tree stand (moth wing zipper variety). Also a camera.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
oh... a couple of ziplok bags, and some black zipties. Those zipties have come in handy many times.  :)
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I bought a package of glow necklaces/bracelets for my daughters then realized they'd be great for marking an evening bloodtrail now I always carry a few for my evening hunts.

clipshot camera mount - just got it last season and now it always comes with me so I can take pics of my adventures.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©