3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: K-hunter stacking?  (Read 233 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
K-hunter stacking?
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
In the latest issue of TBM, there is some talk about bows and stacking. The author prodeuced some data from the testing of a 62" 45@28 Kodiak Hunter which showed fair evidence of stacking when drawn past the 28" mark. Is this a trend with all of the K-hunters or can stacking vary from bow to bow of the same make and model?

Thanks for the insight.

Brian

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: K-hunter stacking?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
First off let me say not to believe everything you read... guess that screws up the rest of what I had to say.
   :D

Stacking is more than just the relationship of pounds to inches drawn. It's about perception and how it feels to the individual.

The Kodiak Hunters have a long history as fine shooting bows. I doubt that you would think any of them stack unless you have a 32" draw.

There are those that believe everything can be judged by a number or formula. With longbows and recurves there's more heart in them than numbers.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Charlie,

I'm going to disagree a bit here.  Stacking is in fact created when the string angle exceeds the point of mechanical advantage on a recurve.  It happens at some point in the draw on all bows.

Now we can tolerate that increase in pounds per inch of draw that is called stacking or we can get a bow that is longer of the same design or has a different design.

Kodiak Hunters of that length will all begin to build weight per inch at a greater rate at the same draw length.  Its a matter of bow design.

Each shooter has to determine what they want in the bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I know what Charlie is saying, I built Helen a 64inch KennyM design R/D Longbow, 003/inch taper no tip wedge or power lam.. she shoots a lot of target archery and people tell her all the time her bow stacks...these people are shooting bows arround 35-40 pounds, Helen's bow is a smooth pulling 42# @ 28in..they call it stacking because its more weight than they are used too. I also understand wingnuts view, bow design makes a difference

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.

Charlie, I understand what your saying about there being more to the stacking deal as far as just numbers on paper. I draw 29.25" and have a K-hunter that I shoot fairly well, but have always suspected it to stack, which I've also suspected could cause some inconsistency with anchor.

I'm also looking for a different bow and have a particualr bowyer I have my eye on and was a little concerned that stacking may not always follow a particualr design, and may be the "personality" between two of the same designed bows.

I've also shot enough to know that when I'm starting to suspect things. I'm usually the top "suspect" in the case...LOL!

Regards,

Brian

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I didn't read that article in TBM but I wouldn't believe it if I did. Kodiak Hunters never came in a 62" AMO. So what does that tell you already?
Jack Shanks

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
My Kodiak Hunter is 60" AMO and I draw it to 30" to shoot.  Have for 20 years or so.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I shot a 1970 - 1972 Kodiak Hunter for the first time a couple of weeks ago and felt it to be a fantastic bow at my 29".  

I can't tell you about stack, but I can tell you I have my eyes open for one now.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I would agree with Wingnut and will say that I have owned several Bears and most begin to stack past 29"s at 30 they really started adding weight close to 5#s per inch, at least 2 Kodiak got 5#s per inch once ya went to 30"s with a 62" bow. I cannot imagine going to 32"s without one really piling on the pounds. Shawn
Shawn

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Don't know about Kodiaks but someone on another site once argued with me that stacking was a good thing. Couldn't understand that but it shows what Charlie said about perception.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
What year did they make a 62" Kodiak?

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Way way back I had one it was 60" and my friend had one as well. they were both 55 pounders.  I had a 27.5" draw in those days and he had a 28.5" draw. They were not the same, his was an older one by a few years and mine was a 1969 model.  The older one picked up more weight near the end and was softer at the beginning of the draw.  Now the newer ones seem to have less stack than I remember.  there were those K hunters that looked more like Super Ks, I never heard of them stacking at all, but then i have never heard of anyone really pulling them to 30 inches either.  the friend that thought he had 30 inches really had 28.5".

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Since I shoot long recurves, 64-70 inches, I 'THINK" shorter bows stack, when in reality it is just how I am used to the feel of a longer bow.  I have been humiliated by the masses when I've claimed certain bows stack, when 9 out of 10 guys shoot the same bow and fall in love.
David M. Conroy

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
pavan,

THe Kodiak HUnter came out in 1967 and were 58" AMO that year and that year only. All of the others were 60" AMO from 68 on. Your buddies most likely was a 58" 1967 if it were a couple years older than your 69. Here are a couple 67s a 68 and 69. Probably my favorite years.

Jack Shanks

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Now that's a nice stack of Kodiak Hunters!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©