INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North by Northwest....  (Read 6561 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: North by Northwest....
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Awesome pictures and stroies so far.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Hey Rob, whats this about almost getting run over?  :saywhat:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Hey Rob, whats this about almost getting run over?   :saywhat:  
late one morning i climbed down from my stand and took a walk west down the road to "the corner" to check it out.  about half way there i heard some rumbling way off in the bush to the south, on the left side of the road.  it got louder, so i hunkered down on the road edge and waited.  this part of the road is fairly open and easy to see into the woods, and as the sound got louder i could see the bushes violently moving about 70 yards or so out!  the noise was getting louder and more ominous, like something big and out of control was headed my way.  

i'll tell it, it was really kinda scary and sounded like a mad rhino on the charge and i had quick flashes of a 400# razorback tusker coming to get me! within a few seconds 11 jet black hogs come busting through the bush, running about 15-20 yards parallel to the road at top speed. these pigs were all the same size and in the 70# class.  anyhoo, i knelt there and counted them off as they went about 40 yards ahead of me and then cut right across my road to the north.

that was it. here and gone.  that's pig huntin'!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I'll try and add some more pics and stories tonight.

This hunt really meant a lot to me....    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
lets get this to the top. I know some killin happened, lets hear it.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
good story so far. I will say that imho, any trip with good friends and close encounters, is worth  more than a dead hog picture.
Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Very nice! Terry where did you get your fletch cover?   :campfire:    :archer2:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Rob saw like nearly 40 hogs the first day so keeping the hopes up was no problem and Terry was keeping us fat with the great grub. The skeeters were no problem unlike I expected but like Terry said you could tell the hatch was increasing every day.

That cypress and palmetto was some cool stuff, I could see how this country could get in your blood.

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
The last morning proved kind of uneventful if you didn’t count the two big long beards that walked up on me then putted for 15 minutes after I spooked them or the sow and little pigs that I ran into like three times or…   There weren’t many dull moments but along about 10:00 the hours and miles we’d been putting in started to catch up with me and the meet time with Rob and Terry wasn’t till 11:00 so I leaned back against a handy tree and napped till they came thru. Pretty darn nice to be able to kick back and not have to worry about getting something done or being somewhere…

After another great lunch, did I say Terry was feeding us pretty durn well  ;)   we headed out for the final afternoon hunt. After “seeding” the road it was time to go on patrol. I slipped back down to where I’d been seeing several pigs and there were the sow and piglets again. I eased in close and just watch them till they moved off then climbed back into my tree stand. These same pigs came back thru three more times before dark but the big guys never showed.

I sat till dark then slipped down and headed back up the road toward the truck. I hadn’t gone a hundred yards when I heard sticks breaking beside the road. I just stood and waited to what sounded like a whole herd coming my way. The full moon was still behind the trees at my back but a few stray rays of light were filtering thru. It was still very dark in the brush along the road but I was seeing some faint glowing spots only eight or ten feet away. I was still trying to figure out what the heck I was seeing when one of them blinked! It was the hog’s eyes glowing in the moon light. Kinda like Rob’s Rhinoceros charge with numerous hogs within a few feet in the dark things were starting to get a little un-nerving...

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I eased my back into the brush on my side of the road and got an arrow on the string but apparently this was too much for the close hogs and they started heading west along the road away from me. They stayed just in the edge of the brush till they were 25 yards or so away then filtered onto the road. After things settled down a little I started after them slowly. They were moving away about as fast as I could move quietly but I was staying with them. The whole bunch of 30 or so finally got to where I’d scattered some corn earlier and hung up acting like vacuum cleaners. I slowly took a half step at a time till within six or eight yards. I could tell from the silhouette that there was a big sow right in front of me but about the time she turned right another big hog, I’m guessing was a boar swung in and took her away into the darker brush but still only 15 or so yards away. I’m sure this was a sow in heat and there were at least two boars harassing her. The wind was perfect and I figured it was just a matter of time till I got a chance as a goodun.

With hogs all around me I was having a ball but then I saw Terry and Rob’s flashlights a hundred yards away coming up the road. The wind was blowing from them toward us so I knew I’d better make something happen quick. A medium size hog stepping into sight just a few yards away and turned to what looked like a perfect angle. Back came the AD and off it went to make a meaty whack in the hog. It squealed and ran a big circle out of sight.

Now I practice shooting in the dark/semi dark a fair bit and it never ceases to amaze me how accurate you can be when you can’t see a thing. I felt good about the hit but knew we’d better give it some time. Well Terry and Rob got to me and asked if I’d heard all the squealing and I said yea I’d caused it just a few seconds ago. Turns out it was the second hog stuck that evening but we decided to head in for supper then track after. We were hoping the big thick pork chops Terry cooked were just a taste of things to come as we devoured them. We headed back out to the shot sight and started finding blood immediately then after 30 yards or so my arrow. It was immediately obvious that we probably weren’t going to find a hog at the end of the trail. I’d basically gotten the broadhead depth penetration. The big three blade VPA Terminator had apparently hit right in the heavy shoulder bone. We went ahead and follow the decreasing blood trail for a hundred yards or so into the swamp but it eventually petered out.

That was pretty much the conclusion of the hunt with a big day on Sunday of cleaning up and packing. I didn’t get a hog killed but I still had a blast getting to experience South Carolina. I can’t thank Terry enough for inviting me along and Michael for furnishing the hunting spot. Getting to spend time with great friends, eat like Kings and see new country is what it’s all about folks.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Awesome mate .... Ain't it cool gettting close on Pigs in the fading light . Maybe the best hunting experience going 'round.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Due to finding out one of my my friends and TG Member is having surgery tomorrow....I haven't had time to post....but will get back at it this evening.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doug Campbell:
 I didn’t get a hog killed but I still had a blast getting to experience South Carolina. I can’t thank Terry enough for inviting me along and Michael for furnishing the hunting spot. Getting to spend time with great friends, eat like Kings and see new country is what it’s all about folks.
The above quote is what it's all about.
Them SC hogs got the best of me last year Doug but the hunt was one to remember. They don't get any better than Michael!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I had so many encounters its hard to believe I never got a shot...and had so many in range that I couldn't even see.  Yes...and I was one of the ones that was 'surrounded' more than once.  Once I had a hog to the east at 5 feet, and one to the west at 9 feet.  Didn't know which one was going to set out on top of me 1st...and neither did.  But I was on serious point let me tell ya.

Here was the boarders on most of my milk run....

West Wall....

East Wall....

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Were ya'll at Ray's place or somewhere else?

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Danny....right next door.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
TTT

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Danny...thanks....I have not followed through with my posting....David Shepperd had surgery today...and I've been involved in something for him...please keep him in your prayers.

Doug....he is going through something very similar to you....I might have you call him.

Keep him in your prayers guys.     :campfire:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Will do Terry. Sorry to hear that. Prayers up and you are always in my prayers.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
TTT

Any more happen during your guy's "meeting"....  :archer2:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©