3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone try the glendale buck  (Read 423 times)

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone try the glendale buck
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
has anybody tried the glendale buck. i've got a birthday coming up and figured if i wasn't going to have to pay for the target i might as well get a nice one. i saw them used on the monster bucks video a few years ago and i liked how they scored the hits based on what vitals you hit. just wondered how well they held up or what anybody else thought about it.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone try the glendale buck
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
Vinnie,

I don't have one, but a friend of mine does and I've shot it quite a bit.  They seem to be a well made target and I believe they would probably last a very long time.  I just can't make myself give that much for a 3-d target.  I have learned on the 3-d type targets though, if you want them to last, don't ever, ever shoot them with a simmons land shark or interceptor.  Four or five shots with them and a hunk the size of your fist falls to the ground!!!!!

I would love to get one for a gift.
Andy

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:00 AM »
I got one, and love it. Caught it on sale very reasonable. It is holding up very well.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
i bought one years ago on sale, at the end of the year closeouts......25 bucks   :bigsmyl:   , had it for years , try to keep it out of direct sunlight, i keep mine under a cedar tree.

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
I bought the Glendale buck...it is not worth a "Flip" for broadhead shooting....for the money that I paid for the target it did not hold up at all for broadheads.....the target is advertised for easy arrow removal....easy arrow pass throughs is more like it...it didn't take very many shots in the kill area before I had pass throughs and arrows burying with the feathers in the target...and that is with my recurves....

Offline Tree Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I like mine, but I wouldn't even think about shooting broadheads in the thing.  I'm not so sure it's even made for that.  I've had it 4-5 years not and shoot it maybe one evening a week.  The rest of the time I spend on a block or stump shooting.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
I have one.  I first had the standard layered core.  Lasted me about 2 months.  By the time I replaced it, I had shot up the rest of the target pretty badly.  I bought a $50 vitals insert made like the block target.  It only lasted 6 weeks before I was shooting through it, and I never shot a broadhead through either.  It's nice to shoot 3D targets, but I am getting to the point that I do most of my everyday practice on a bag target and save the 3Ds until right before season.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
I've got 2 full rut models . I like them very much . The first one is on its 3rd year . It has stopped a lot of arrows and its still like new ! I really like being able to rotate the kill zone block to increase target life .

The only problem I have had was when it was new , the legs broke off the target where they attach to the body with dovetails .The target was only a few weeks old at the time ! . I sent an eMail to the company about it and they responded telling me they had had some problems with the early models and had redesigned the connection . They also shipped me a new target at no charge . I glued the legs back on to the original target so now I have 2 full rut bucks to shoot .

They are very realistic , hold up well, easy arrow removal (compared to my old mckenzie) and good customer service ! I am very satisfied!
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
The best broadhead target I have found is the yellow jacket by morrel.I had several of the local neighbors,my son and I shooting it last season and it was the first one I have had to make it through a season in tact.It is a broadhead only target.Field points are a mother to pull out of it.Most of the layered targets do well with FP's but Bh's will eat them up.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
I have one and they aren't that great.  With a low poundage bow it may hold up but I know with my wheelie bows I almost blow through it.  Broadheads destroy the thing BIG TIME!  The quality isn't that great.  And the 2 finger remove only works when you miss the target hit the fence behind it and it bounces back into the target (dont ask em how I know this  :)  )

I did shoot it the other day (first time in a long time) with my bear recurve 43 @28 and it seemed to do a much better job and would last longer with it vs broadheads or a higher poundage bow.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Check out the Morrell Bionic Buck target. The vitals on it are like a bag target. I've had mine for 3 years now. Each spring I just buy a new burlap cover for the vitals ($20) and keep on shooting! You just need to alternate sides every couple hundred shots to keep the core fluffed up good.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
I have one, and I like it.  I have the "regular" model, cheaper than the full rut, and the layers can be shuffled around when they start wearing.
I wouldn't shoot broadheads at it, that is what blobs are for.
No excessive wear problems here.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
Dan, what's a blob?

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I have a regular size one,working on my 3rd vitals insert in 3 years now.I think it's a pretty good target..................except if you shoot too low!!!A low hit sometimes seem to catch the support rod/beam,or whatever runs horizontally thu the lower part of the target and it will kill a wooden arrow quick!!Even trashed a few carbon arrows(GT Pro Hunters)by hitting low.It'ss push the FP up a wooden arrow,or break it off anywhere from right at the FP to about 4' back.The carbons just shred with the FP/insert jammed up intop the shaft.

Hope they've taken care of that issue with the newer ones out now.I can't understand how they could even place something that hard in that type of a spot to begin with?????

I think the inserts hold up pretty good tho......I mean I shoot 3-5 times a week,both FP and BH,Trad and Compound,so for an insert to hold up a year seems pretty decent to me.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©